Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Canary Island Date Palms grow nicely in places like Charleston, SC and US southeastern coastal regions.

Bougainvillea are not palms, but are sub-tropical. In places like Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA it grows on trees mixed with Spanish Moss. Is really beautiful to see.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
My point was that Florida has many palm species not native to the peninsula, that doesn't mean they look wrong or out of place.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:13 PM

Those palms in Charelston are my favourite palms, by the way - I don't like coconut palms at all.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Those palms in Charelston are my favourite palms, by the way - I don't like coconut palms at all.

I don't think the palms on the S. Coast of England look out of place either. It is very green there in winter anyway. Reminds me of a place like Eureka, CA in winter. They don't look out of place there either. Do you ever watch Top Gear? The other show I saw Jeremy Clarkson drove, on June 21st, from Lands End to the easternmost point of England. Lands End looked very scenic. I also love the roads they drive on in N. England with hedgerows and green rolling hills. I don't get it when Brits complain about the countryside. Always looks really beautiful to me. I think you guys are lucky.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Ah yes, the countryside. Many country lanes do have litter on the verges, especially near cities. I've not noticed it myself though, except near the big cities where there's more traffic thus more people throwing litter out their window.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder when England will start exporting coconuts, mangoes and avocadoes...
Believe me, you won't see coconut Palms anywhere in northern Europe. Maybe, maybe, in some parts of southern Italy and Spain.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:04 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,189 times
I think the palms make much of New Zealand look substantially warmer than it actually is. Actually, even without the palms large areas of New Zealand would still look quite impressively tropical in my opinion. It's kind of odd. Interesting, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lands End looked very scenic. I also love the roads they drive on in N. England with hedgerows and green rolling hills. I don't get it when Brits complain about the countryside. Always looks really beautiful to me. I think you guys are lucky.
One of the few things I've ever agreed with tom77falcons on
I've searched all over the world with Google Earth and I have found nothing that resembles the British countryside, and I'm not talking about the human-made parts of it. Even the landscape, landforms and rolling hills etc. are completely unique to that island. Even immediately across the Channel in Brittany in France the landscape is much, much flatter with significantly more trees. I would love to live there someday. It's a shame it will probably never happen.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:34 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
I think the palms make much of New Zealand look substantially warmer than it actually is. Actually, even without the palms large areas of New Zealand would still look quite impressively tropical in my opinion. It's kind of odd. Interesting, though.
I don't think NZ has any palms that make it look like a warm climate, as it really only has palms that can handle cool summers.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:40 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
One of the few things I've ever agreed with tom77falcons on
I've searched all over the world with Google Earth and I have found nothing that resembles the British countryside, and I'm not talking about the human-made parts of it. Even the landscape, landforms and rolling hills etc. are completely unique to that island. Even immediately across the Channel in Brittany in France the landscape is much, much flatter with significantly more trees. I would love to live there someday. It's a shame it will probably never happen.
London, Surrey, Berkshire, northern Hampshire and Essex are all very flat and heavily forested, especially Surrey and Berkshire.

Loads of pics that feature in the photo thread look like they could've been taken in SE England.

The most English-looking countryside in the US is found in Kentucky, near Lexington.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms1 View Post
Believe me, you won't see coconut Palms anywhere in northern Europe. Maybe, maybe, in some parts of southern Italy and Spain.
Nope not even there, closest would be Malta which is even pushing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather