Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or3g0n View Post
I agree they won't. Continental climate of East Coast is unique because that large area is found nowhere anywhere in world, where Summer feels like it is in an absolute tropical climate, humid, warm-hot summers, lows from 65 to 75 degrees. But Winter time, it is different story... Gets cold! Blizzard blasts, etc.
East Asia is even more tropical-like than the East Coast and with larger winter-summer differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
Quote:
I agree they won't. Continental climate of East Coast is unique because that large area is found nowhere anywhere in world, where Summer feels like it is in an absolute tropical climate, humid, warm-hot summers, lows from 65 to 75 degrees. But Winter time, it is different story... Gets cold! Blizzard blasts, etc.
You described much of Korea and the west coast of Japan right there. If there were some large lakes (something like the Great Lakes) in central/southern central China, the difference between the tropical summer and the snowy winter would probably be more stark than on the East Coast because of the Siberian High.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM

287 posts, read 739,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
You described much of Korea and the west coast of Japan right there. If there were some large lakes (something like the Great Lakes) in central/southern central China, the difference between the tropical summer and the snowy winter would probably be more stark than on the East Coast because of the Siberian High.
I totally forgot about China/Japan/Korean areas that has a continental climate... I wonder if there is any other large locations on Earth that has same climate

Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/pics/1976-2000.gif Take a look.

EDIT: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._World_Map.png <- better quality map

Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
I wonder if those areas of east Asia "look tropical" in plants/vegetation any more compared to the looks of the southern US and NZ described here.

Based on that description, it would seem probably not.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Looks like S Brazil and NE Argentina has same climate as Southern US

Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Also it seems that Australia has same wide variety of climate zones as US, but Australia can't match up with US's wide variety of geology features, I.E. Mountain ranges of Cascades, peaks in the Cascades, and Rockies, including huge agricultural of Plains and Midwest, and Grand Canyon for example

Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
I agree with your description of east coast summers. This is partly why I wouldn't find palms out of place even in the more temperate areas. The Jersey shore feels just as tropical as Florida during the summer.

I love the look of deciduous and coniferous trees in the northern climates, winter or summer. In the rural, wooded areas palms would look out of place, but in coastal areas I don't think they would.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
In the rural, wooded areas palms would look out of place, but in coastal areas I don't think they would.
I associate palms with open areas too such as beaches, or lining streets etc. rather than dense woods too but then again that could be that I haven't visited the deep tropics where they naturally occur like that (ie. in rainforests).

Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I associate palms with open areas too such as beaches, or lining streets etc. rather than dense woods too but then again that could be that I haven't visited the deep tropics where they naturally occur like that (ie. in rainforests).
Deserts, semi-arid and Mediterranean climates are fit for tall, individual palms. Rainforest in tropics fits for evergreen broadleaf forests, bamboos, bananas, wild ranges of strange, exotic looking bushes, plants, greenery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather