Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:32 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I think that the intensity of the “noon” solar angle and the solar angle at other times of the daylight hours would also go up/down based on latitude as well. So if you were in Darwin this time of year, the solar angle would still be higher at any time of day (noon, at 2 PM, at 9 AM…etc) than where you are now (say Perth). I would think that the “feel” of the solar intensity would be greater at any ambient temp the further south (closer to the equator) that you get.

Often, I’ve found that much of how the sun “feels” beyond large and obvious changes (like great distances in latitudes) are found in the micro differences rather than the macro differences. Things like albido, terrain features, how perpendicular the surface is to the solar angle, even the climate type, can change the “feel” of the solar intensity.

Take climate type/air masses:

You first mentioned that once you got down to 27 S, the sun felt “plenty strong” from 9:30 am onward, while in Perth the sun felt "hollow" or weak. Dry air warms faster than air with more moisture in it. Assuming you are still in Western Australia, if you continue to move southward (toward the equator) you are heading deeper into drier climates (at least until you get to the Aw zone around 20 S). The little I know about Perth is that from late May through August is their wetter time of year, so maybe (?) the moisture content of the air mass you were in when you were around Perth might have been higher than you think (even if there was no rain/clouds in sight). Now that you have moved southward (toward the equator) you are in the BSh (arid) zone of western Australia, so maybe the air masses have become drier and there is less haze, which would make the sun intensity feel stronger and the air would warm quicker earlier in the day.
Good point, it could be equally the higher sun angle plus clearer skies.

That said, it's extremely obvious how unfairly-clear the skies are in Florida vs. Toronto,
because even the winter sun in Florida feels a bit stronger
(cloud is a more efficient blocker of infrared than UV) than it does in Toronto on many summer days.

Quote:
As far as “satisfying” solar intensity…yes, it is amazing to consider the difference in the solar intensity one month from the start of winter between higher and lower latitude locations. Despite some of the above issues, the difference between 43 N (Toronto) and 27 S (where you are now) is enough to display the difference in the sun’s feel in temperate latitudes vs tropical/low latitudes (below 30 N/S). I admit, I too have little tolerance for low sun angles/intensity myself I can only imagine how people who like feeling the sun’s intensity and live from 50 degrees northward (Kiev, Frankfurt, London, Vancouver, tip of South America…etc) must struggle. I suppose it is all relative, though.
I think 27 degrees might be close enough to the equator that I'm content most of the winter.

UV level is a fair indicator, but I enjoy the infrared sensation more than just the effects of UV. I've found the sun here still quite hot at a time of day where the UV level should only be 2-3, yet it's easy to find periods in Toronto summer where the UV is that low from rain and you hardly feel any radiation. Same with a partly cloudy day in Toronto with a UV of 2-3. Sometimes I notice the sun loses some of its heat as my skin starts to tan. Slightly annoying but it's nice to I'm better protected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Most of the days I visited Northwestern Washington it was very sunny outside, and I was outside most of the day. It was in the 50s and 60s most of the time I was there, but I rarely felt too warm despite walking a LOT, which here in Tennessee would have caused me to sweat significantly. Here I'm constantly trying to block the sun or stay out of it because it always feels hot, even when it's fairly cold. But there it didn't feel nearly as uncomfortable for the temperature. It also didn't seem as bright, which was nice.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I always say there's 50's/60's and 50's/60's somewhere else! I need a sweatshirt for low 60's where I am but 60's inland would feel warmer, I'm sure.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
I was thinking about this thread today as I was walking down by the water....
The sun felt quite strong (for Vancouver) yet at the same time I could feel the chilly marine air as I was walking. Local environmental factors definitely make a big difference in the way temperatures feel even if the sun is out.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I was thinking about this thread today as I was walking down by the water....
The sun felt quite strong (for Vancouver) yet at the same time I could feel the chilly marine air as I was walking. Local environmental factors definitely make a big difference in the way temperatures feel even if the sun is out.
Thats what I tend to think. Warm winter sun is a double edged sword in that it feels even colder in the shade or if the sun goes behind a cloud.

I had a winter in South Korea, and the sun felt weak despite the lower latitude. The advantage was, it didn't seem that much cooler when the sun went behind a cloud. Winter here on a partially cloudy day, seems to be warm/ chilly in an annoying way.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 AM

Thumbs up Square-wave sun track?

A part of sunshine cravings,
I would like to see the sun rise to its maximum sun angle within 30 minutes of sunrise
and fall from its maximum sun angle 30 minutes before sunset.
none of this "half-way up" sun because it's morning or late afternoon. (like 10 am or 4pm)

Does anyone actually enjoy low-angle (instead of high) sunshine?

I'd rather the sun be very high during most of the daylight.
I also think it'd be funny to see a sundial work where it still pivots E, S, W etc. every hour
yet maintains the midday sun angle-to-earth for 80% of daylight hours.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:08 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
A part of sunshine cravings,
I would like to see the sun rise to its maximum sun angle within 30 minutes of sunrise
and fall from its maximum sun angle 30 minutes before sunset.
none of this "half-way up" sun because it's morning or late afternoon. (like 10 am or 4pm)

Does anyone actually enjoy low-angle (instead of high) sunshine?

I'd rather the sun be very high during most of the daylight.
I also think it'd be funny to see a sundial work where it still pivots E, S, W etc. every hour
yet maintains the midday sun angle-to-earth for 80% of daylight hours.
I do, I like the direct glare of the 10-15 degree midwinter sun or summer mornings/evenings, particularly when it hits the window at an almost perpendicular angle and lights up the whole back wall

Old 06-02-2011, 07:44 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I like the high-angle in the winter as I always open my front inside door (faces south) so the sun can heat my livingroom. I have a thermopane storm door amazing how warm it gets inspite of winter temps.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:40 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Low angle sunshine can be annoying when driving since it is usually right in your eyes either at sunrise or sunset depending on the time of day.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Low angle sunshine can be annoying when driving since it is usually right in your eyes either at sunrise or sunset depending on the time of day.
That's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Also when the sun is very low (under 30 degrees? 20 degrees? 15?)
direct sunlight doesn't give off as much warmth as it's being filtered more by the atmosphere.
And low angle sun means there is a lot more of the land area covered by shadows,
which makes it feel overall less-bright.

Paying attention to sun angle last Spring/Summer,
I was amazed at how bright Toronto looked on a sunny day,
while the sun was exceeding a 60-degree angle to the ground.
(less shadows = more illumination )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather