Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:56 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times

Advertisements

Joe Bastardi speaks on FoxBusiness about the triple crown of global cooling:

Sunspot activity dropping

Oceans cooling

Volcanic activity continues

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/997055021001/beware-of-a-mini-ice-age
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
I wish.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:18 PM

650 posts, read 1,328,194 times
This guy is always predicting off the wall events.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
That guy is dreaming - how can anyone think this planet is cooling off when the summers keep getting hotter and hotter?? Temps running 5-10 degrees above normal is par for the course in the summer months, and it's only getting worse.

Of course, I would LOVE to see a mini-ice age, heck, I'd be thrilled to see a bonafide, full-on Ice Age, glaciers and all. Atlanta would certainly have a much more pleasant climate, that's for sure.

But at the rate global warming is proceeding apace, I might end up having to move to Greenland just to cool off - I'm just so sick of the heat already.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That guy is dreaming - how can anyone think this planet is cooling off when the summers keep getting hotter and hotter?? Temps running 5-10 degrees above normal is par for the course in the summer months, and it's only getting worse.

Of course, I would LOVE to see a mini-ice age, heck, I'd be thrilled to see a bonafide, full-on Ice Age, glaciers and all. Atlanta would certainly have a much more pleasant climate, that's for sure.

But at the rate global warming is proceeding apace, I might end up having to move to Greenland just to cool off - I'm just so sick of the heat already.

Can I trade with you?

Despite having temps regularly in the 80's and even a few days in the 90's where I live so far this season, I STILL haven't gotten the chill out of me from last winter! Atlanta would be a GREAT climate for me! Last July in Connecticut was the 2nd warmest on record for us and it still was only barely warm enough for me!

I'm all out hoping and praying for Global Warming!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times
Joe Bastradi is more of a "weather personality" than a real scientist.

At AccuWeather....its marketing over meteorology...

Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM

927 posts, read 1,948,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

It's like that with just about every news and weather outlet. The Weather Channel has fallen particularly far in that regard. About the only place where you can get a good solid (if not always accurate) weather forecast with out the fluff and the sensationalism is the NWS.

As far as "cooling" is concerned, we in the Pacific Northwest have certainly felt it. While this last spring wasn't record cold it came close enough and was epic for its cloud covver and rainy days. Summer is getting off to a pretty substandard start so far with June running about 3 degrees below average. At least it has stopped raining - sort of.

Our desert southwest, interior Texas and gulf states have not felt the cold. Temperatures are running as far above average as we are below it so the net effect is probably zero or close to it. I do not expect to see a generalised cooling signal nationwide or even world wide when the numbers get crunched at the end of the year.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
It's like that with just about every news and weather outlet. The Weather Channel has fallen particularly far in that regard. About the only place where you can get a good solid (if not always accurate) weather forecast with out the fluff and the sensationalism is the NWS.
As far as "cooling" is concerned, we in the Pacific Northwest have certainly felt it. While this last spring wasn't record cold it came close enough and was epic for its cloud covver and rainy days. Summer is getting off to a pretty substandard start so far with June running about 3 degrees below average. At least it has stopped raining - sort of.

Our desert southwest, interior Texas and gulf states have not felt the cold. Temperatures are running as far above average as we are below it so the net effect is probably zero or close to it. I do not expect to see a generalised cooling signal nationwide or even world wide when the numbers get crunched at the end of the year.
Could not agree more! NWS is still rock solid in terms of being conservative in forecasting and prediction as well as hype. They have great data (which settles a lot of the spin that outlets like AccuWeather create), that is well checked and factual.

As to the current weather pattern over the PNW I can feel your pain. I really think it comes down to what many climatologists call “ prevailing climate genetics”. I’m starting to understand this concept a little (I hope). By this, I think they mean the odds are that the overall genetics/geography of any location will dictate more often what the most frequent weather will be.

For example, it gets hot in interior west Texas because it is located away from the influence of the ocean, its located in subtropical latitudes, there is frequent high pressure, and there is often a hot/tropical southerly flow from Mexico. Of course, those genetics don’t always win and it can be cold in west Texas…but the climate genetics and the odds don’t favor it.

The same can be said for the PNW: The genetics of the PNW (high latitude, frequent low pressure, cool onshore flow, high humidity/cloud cover…etc) all help to favor the odds of a slow start to summer (or no summer in some years). The fact that one spring/early summer can be rainier and cooler than another is really just the "static of the genetics"…for the “odds” of a rainy and cool period in the PNW are always high. Think about it in the opposite way: Florida is not always warm and sunny - but the genetics of low latitude, subtropical high pressure, and a tropical southerly flow create the odds that make the weather sunny and warm in Florida very often.

The way I look at it…it’s the "genetics" of a climate, and "odds" that will always dictate what weather will be most of the time.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 06-23-2011 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

He left AccuWeather rather abruptly, and some of the rumors were that all his global cooling talk got the more science folk at AccuWeather upset. Accuweather is based in State College, PA and is closely associated with Penn State. Penn State btw, has one of the best meteo programs in the US. I do agree about hyping the weather on all these private forecasting firms. I prefer the good ol US Govt and the NWS ever since I had a NOAA weather radio as a kid.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:23 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,466,263 times
With respect to cool oceans, I'm not sure. In the Arctic, the ice cover extent is among the smallest in recent decades right now:

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

And the summer has barely begun. Low ice extent in the early summer means that less sunlight will be reflected back into space and more absorbed by the darker waters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather