Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times

Advertisements

When one looks at some of the more undesirable weather elements such as a lack of sunshine and severely cold temperatures (below 20 F/-7 C) – Russia and Canada seem to have fairly bleak climates. In terms of climate zones, much of both countries lay in the Boreal or Subarctic zone (E), with only small areas located in the Temperate zones (Do/Dc). Even where the temperate climates (Do/Dc) are located, they are fairly far poleward (45 latitude or higher), so they only have only a short season of warm/mild weather and frequent sunshine. Whether one is considering Moscow, Montreal, Minsk, Vancouver, Toronto, St. Petersburg…etc it seems as if there are essentially no really desirable climates in either Russia or Canada:

Worse, Canada and Russia seem to have no provinces or offshore locations the way even countries like England or France have to get a break from their climates. We are spoiled here in the USA, as we have just about ever climate zone… and one can move about in the country and basically find whatever they desire climate/weather wise (cold/hot/desert/tropical/subtropical/semi-arid/highland…etc). Yet where do people who live in Moscow or Toronto escape to in their own country to get better weather? I often feel bad for these folks who live in high latitude, cold, often cloudy climates.

So if you were forced to live in Russia or Canada – which would, you not choose? Which one would offer the best places to escape to in their respective countires?

Last edited by wavehunter007; 10-15-2011 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Sochi isn't bad - mean annual temp 14.5C, 2175 hours' sun (both numbers unverified). Sunnier places in Canada are much colder.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:12 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
I think I would choose Russia, based on more tolerable climates. Overall, Canada seems much worse. The only tame areas in Canada are parts of BC and the Toronto area. The southern prairies don't seem too bad either...but the Atlantic coast and areas farther north have terrible climates.

They do have one thing in common though...the eastern coasts of both of those countries have their worst climates.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Russia for sure.. they got Sochi which is light years ahead of any climate in Canada in terms of warmth and sunshine.

Check out the photo of the Sochi train station:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/9254458.jpg

You won't see Canary Island Date Palms grown anywhere in Canada

Old 10-15-2011, 09:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I'd give an edge out to Canada, because if the winter can be just as intense; they don't last as long and there's more of a real summer. Should be sunnier, since the latitude is lower.

I'm comparing Canada more to European Russia. Canada doesn't have huge population centers in its extreme cold areas compared to Siberia except maybe Winnipeg.

The east coast of Canada isn't all that terrible, Nova Scotia is not too horrible.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,620 times
Subtropical Sochi...

All credit goes to Vladislav Feoktistov.
Palm trees in Sochi, Russia - PalmTalk Click the link for more pictures of palms in Sochi...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:39 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Subtropical Sochi...

All credit goes to Vladislav Feoktistov.
Palm trees in Sochi, Russia - PalmTalk Click the link for more pictures of palms in Sochi...
I've read some about Sochi, but a picture is worth a thousand words! That is amazing for Russia. National Geographic magazine just had a big article about this region of the Russia a few months ago I read; they showed massive farming areas, what looked like a coastal resort, and a growing economy.

I’m think Russia might have a edge over Canada looking at Sochi.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 PM

54 posts, read 111,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
When one looks at some of the more undesirable weather elements such as a lack of sunshine and severely cold temperatures (below 20 F/-7 C)
If -7 is where "severely" cold begins for you, then I suppose you're from an area with quite mild winters?

Quote:
– Russia and Canada seem to have fairly bleak climates. In terms of climate zones, much of both countries lay in the Boreal or Subarctic zone (E), with only small areas located in the Temperate zones (Do/Dc).
Few people live in those areas for a reason.

Quote:
Even where the temperate climates (Do/Dc) are located, they are fairly far poleward (45 latitude or higher), so they only have only a short season of warm/mild weather and frequent sunshine.
45 latitude isn't "far poleward". That's about the latitude of northern Italy or southern France. It's not the latitude that's responsible for the cold winters of f.e. Montreal (45.5 degrees north).

Quote:
Whether one is considering Moscow, Montreal, Minsk, Vancouver, Toronto, St. Petersburg…etc it seems as if there are essentially no really desirable climates in either Russia or Canada:
It depends on what you consider desirable, and whether you like skating and playing hockey outdoors in the winter, etc.

Quote:
Worse, Canada and Russia seem to have no provinces or offshore locations the way even countries like England or France have to get a break from their climates. We are spoiled here in the USA, as we have just about ever climate zone… and one can move about in the country and basically find whatever they desire climate/weather wise (cold/hot/desert/tropical/subtropical/semi-arid/highland…etc). Yet where do people who live in Moscow or Toronto escape to in their own country to get better weather? I often feel bad for these folks who live in high latitude, cold, often cloudy climates.
The U.S.

Toronto's winters are fairly mild, though.

Quote:
So if you were forced to live in Russia or Canada – which would, you not choose? Which one would offer the best places to escape to in their respective countires?
I wouldn't choose Russia, because Russia is a hell hole.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Which country has a bleaker climate? That's entirely subjective, to me, both countries have amazing climates. If I lived in Canada I'd have no desire to go on holiday/vacation ever again.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:47 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
^^ Agreed, but I'd give Canada the edge because it seems to have a higher quality of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather