Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 PM

15 posts, read 14,647 times

Advertisements

I live in Northcentral Wisconsin. There is no particular amount of snow needed to close schools around here. The way it works is that the Superintendent talks to the school bus company every time there is either an extremely cold day or an extremely snowy day with poor visibility.

When the temperatures reach a certain low (and windchills factor into this), the bus doors freeze shut and the steps that have to be lowered to let children on the bus freeze and won't go up and down. If the bus company owner thinks this will be an issue that day, he tells the Superintendent that the buses will be unable to run. Schools receive a certain amount of funding each day for each child who attends school. If enough children are unable to get to school that day due to no transportation, they close the school because the school will not be getting enough funding. They would rather have a makeup day later when the weather is better and more children can get to school...hence, more funding brought in.

The same sort of formula is used during flu season...not enough kids in school...they close it. Of course, they don't want to spread the flu around (partly because even fewer kids will be in school then).

As far as snow goes, it would take a good 8-12 inches around here (depending on the wind, drifting, and visibility) for them to close the schools. Sometimes they will close just the kindergartens and preschools when there is a lot of snow, as well as call off after-school activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,506 times
It has to be...

* falling heavily in the morning, beginning before around 3AM and continuing for several hours- the snow-clearing people won't be able to keep up.

or

* very deep

or

* temperature in the negatives Fahrenheit

or

* large amounts of blowing snow

Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
When it's a blizzard, white out conditions, etc.
When it brings the city to a standstill...
Schools close, which I always looked forward to.
That meant snowball fights, building snowmen, sledding & hot chocolate
I still love a good snowball fight, lol

Old 09-30-2014, 08:49 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
When it's a blizzard, white out conditions, etc.
When it brings the city to a standstill...
Schools close, which I always looked forward to.
That meant snowball fights, building snowmen, sledding & hot chocolate
I still love a good snowball fight, lol

NOW THAT LOOKS SO, SO, SO MUCH FUN!!!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Down here in Georgia, the word snow sends apocalyptic shivers down the spine.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/10/us/winter-weather/

On average, this place sees a couple overnight flurries every year (around 1.5" of snow in total ?).

In NJ, it all depends on location. Atlantic city could shut down due to 2.5", but Sparta shuts down only once totals cross 8". I remember 34" of snow falling in my town one fine day. It took me several hours to shovel myself out. Started at 3:30 AM, and finished a tad before sunrise .

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 09-30-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
NOW THAT LOOKS SO, SO, SO MUCH FUN!!!
Lol we make the best of it.....
People really can surprise ya...
It's like we're all in the same boat, lets have some fun-
When I lived in the city, if I was out in the snow inevitably someone would help me dig my car out,
or jump start my car (doesn't always start in freezing temps) etc.

Then, later have a drink & relax...
After all alcoholic beverages do have a way of warming ya up

CNN: February blizzard in Chicago - YouTube

Chicago blizzard 2011 closes Lake Shore Drive HD - YouTube

Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Down here in Georgia, the word snow sends apocalyptic shivers down the spine.

Winter storm part deux: This time, we're ready, says Georgia - CNN.com

On average, this place sees a couple overnight flurries every year (around 1.5" of snow in total ?).

In NJ, it all depends on location. Atlantic city could shut down due to 2.5", but Sparta shuts down only once totals cross 8". I remember 34" of snow falling in my town one fine day. It took me several hours to shovel myself out. Started at 3:30 AM, and finished a tad before sunrise .
You should have been here in Jan of '11, when we got between 5 and 6 inches of snow, followed by up to a half inch of ice on top of that the next day. It was Lockdown City around here...lol. The schools were closed for an entire week, and many people missed an entire week of work as well (most companies and governments paid for 3 of those missed days.) At my house, I didn't get mail for 8 straight days I finally got mail on MLK Day, after a failed attempt by the mailman to make it up our hill on Sunday, and it was a big pile of mail...lol.

I'm still waiting on a good ol'-fashioned Southern blizzard of just pure, dry snow to hit here - 8" to 10" oughta do it...

Old 09-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Lol we make the best of it.....
People really can surprise ya...
It's like we're all in the same boat, lets have some fun-
When I lived in the city, if I was out in the snow inevitably someone would help me dig my car out,
or jump start my car (doesn't always start in freezing temps) etc.

Then, later have a drink & relax...
After all alcoholic beverages do have a way of warming ya up

CNN: February blizzard in Chicago - YouTube

Chicago blizzard 2011 closes Lake Shore Drive HD - YouTube
Hehe... Looks so fun! When it snows here (which is rare!)! We go to the pub and it's a really nice atmosphere, in fact everyone does help each other on the roads and play with each other when snow happens... That's why most love the white stuff - cus it brings the whole community together!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
The rule of thumb where I live is that when the buses can't move, school cannot be in session. Of course my neck of the woods is notorious for early-morning blizzards and 60 degrees by lunchtime.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
The rule of thumb where I live is that when the buses can't move, school cannot be in session. Of course my neck of the woods is notorious for early-morning blizzards and 60 degrees by lunchtime.
Blimey, that is a changeable climate?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather