Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,678,962 times

Advertisements

Watching brown leaves getting blown off the trees this morning in the chilly breeze got me thinking it isn't meant to happen so early, and then I read this:

BBC News - Abnormal UK weather boosts autumn crops

Nice autumn gales and heavy rain is going to blow off even more leaves tomorrow - I love vigorous weather, but this is weeks earlier than normal.

Funnily enough though, even though we're overdue a notably cool September, this month looks like being around average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 04:27 AM

914 posts, read 2,107,576 times
The only place in the USA that's seeing fall weather right now is AK; aka Alaska the Motherland . Everywhere else is still hot as hell

Old 09-05-2011, 08:02 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,254,805 times
Sounds like you're having more lovely weather in the UK. Can't wait for cooler, cloudier, and windy weather.

It's supposed to be wet, but our first below 70 F highs are forecasted this week (64 F tomorrow and 66 F Wednesday).

Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,616,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
The only place in the USA that's seeing fall weather right now is AK; aka Alaska the Motherland . Everywhere else is still hot as hell
I don't see an 80°F or higher in Western MA for the next week.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,639,004 times
Windy here today, gusting 36 MPH, going to be even worse tomorrow with wide spread gales for most and heavy rain.. yay.. Autumn has finally arrived..!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,548,820 times
I LOVE autumm!!! I envy you for the autumm thats coming for you!
Autumm rocks, cause the leaves fall of the trees and all new colours appear in the vegetation around the city. I love my city (Buenos Aires) in autumm, with all the colours. This are a few pictures of how it looks like:

http://www.maianviajes.com/notas/images/otono.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 28 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,941,473 times
As much as I loved the warm/hot weather in New York City from Late May to Early September, I am looking forward to Autumn.

I like mild weather just as much as warm/hot weather.

*I will specify on what temperatures qualify for me for it to be mild, warm, hot etc. and types of temperatures I enjoy for that:

-Warm weather to me is highs in the mid 70s to mid 80s and lows in the mid 60s to mid 70s.

-The type of hot weather I like is highs in the upper 80s to upper 90s and even the lowest end of the 100s sometimes(below 105) and lows in the 70s and lowest 80s. I like warmth/heat much more with low/moderate humidity compared to high humidity, especially when it is at the upper end of warmth.

-The type of mild weather I enjoy is highs in the the 60s, lowest of the 70s, and 50s and lows in the 60s, 50s, and most upper 40s.

I like most of the warm/hot weather to be confined from June to September and for most of the mild spring/fall weather to be in October to May(with the exception of a mini winter in Late December, January, and Early February).

Bring it on Autumn and stay for a relatively long time before entering winter!

Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,028,208 times
^^

I actually wouldn't mind autumn being long in what you describe above as mild weather (50s F -70F) especially if it is not too gusty. It's brisk and quite pleasant to stroll around wearing a light jacket on the low end of those temps anyways. If that lasted a couple of more months, with a "mini winter" (haha; I like your phrasing!) as you say, that'd be cool with me. NYC's weather is actually quite an improvement in Toronto's weather in that regard.

But temps in that range don't really last more than a month here (40s highs with frosty nights are already common by October). 70s F weather is usually gone by September, with a few outliers of days where the high still feels like a room temperature should outdoors in October perhaps and where people still go outside to take advantage of it before it cools down again a few hours later in the evening.

I'm hoping for a really nice, long autumn too before winter sets in. According to the fall outlook from "The Weather Network" here, it's supposed to be just around normal though (their prediction).

Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,753,201 times
Plenty of good things about autumn. The grass starts growing again, as do lots of trees/shrubs. Clear skies return and the UV readings drop to a more enjoyable level. In some ways, early to mid autumn is like a second spring

Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,639,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Plenty of good things about autumn. The grass starts growing again, as do lots of trees/shrubs. Clear skies return and the UV readings drop to a more enjoyable level. In some ways, early to mid autumn is like a second spring
Uh, doesn't the grass start dying in Autumn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather