Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:58 PM

839 posts, read 3,075,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Well, a part of spring is very similar to autumn here, at least, temperature wise.

April (autumn) haves the same temperature as October (spring) (actually April is slightly warmer).
September (end of winter/spring) haves the same temperature as May (autumn).

But november (spring) is waay hotter than both.

So, yeah, they are similar for a part, but spring end up being way hotter (considering november is very hot and december almost the hottest month of the year here).

If i had to chose, i would chose AUTUMN months over SPRING months. April and May are lovely months with incredible weather, and, the inminence of winter makes it feel colder.
October and september are also lovely, but the inminence of summer makes me uncomfortable.

I also have a feeling that SPRING is SUNNIER (though i dont have data about it, but if i guide myself fot this year spring, its been really a very sunny spring) and autumn cloudier and wetter. I preffer the cloudier and wetter (specially now when it feels like its been sunny/no rain forever). But i dont really know what data says about this.
Interesting how we can have different views living in the same city. For me, autumn is more stable, with more sunny days, or if it rains, it's in the form of a somewhat extended drizzle. In spring the rain is usually in the form of heavy showers that usually follow an abnormally warm weather. After these showers, temp drops dramatically and we can have winter weather again for a few days. In fact, although spring technically starts in September, I always have the impression that it begins in late August. At that time, in some years, we can have a few very warm days (sometimes above 30 C / 86 F!) followed by very heavy thunderstorms which can also bring hail and tornados in the interior of the Pampas. The spring weather is much more variable.
This is more or less the difference between autumn and spring here, some years are exceptional though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
No, our four season are hot, hotter, not so hot and tolerable

Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,708 times
In Melbourne spring tends to get more thunderstorms and bigger temp swings. Temps can reach 35C in October, and lows can be 5C. In April that won't happen. Spring is sunnier here than late Autumn, as soon as May arrives, it's full on bleak wintry misery and is often an abrupt change from a mild and sunny April. Sunshine hours are higher in August than May and August often records higher max temps, even if the average is slightly cooler.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
In Melbourne spring tends to get more thunderstorms and bigger temp swings. Temps can reach 35C in October, and lows can be 5C. In April that won't happen. Spring is sunnier here than late Autumn, as soon as May arrives, it's full on bleak wintry misery and is often an abrupt change from a mild and sunny April. Sunshine hours are higher in August than May and August often records higher max temps, even if the average is slightly cooler.
Climate statistics for Australian locations

Although Spring in Melbourne seems noticeably wetter and cloudier as a whole in Melbourne. I believe the opposite is the case for Sydney.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Autumn and winter seem almost the same here.. spring seems a bit warmer but that could just be because I'm used to winter temperatures.. most of the vegetation is evergreen here but you do notice the autumn colours on the deciduous trees although not to the extent as you would in a place like Ontario or New England.

Interesting. As the stats show autumn is considerably warmer than spring in Perth. That's definitely how it feels here, with summer-like weather often lasting into May these days. It seems to take awhile to warm up in Perth, certainly in comparison to east coast climates. I kind of associate that with Mediterranean and west coast oceanic climates. Some of these climates also experience their coldest month in February (I'm not aware of any station having it's coldest month in August though), while it's common for Med climate's to have their hottest month in February or August. They just seem more influenced by the westerlies in general.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Interesting. As the stats show autumn is considerably warmer than spring in Perth. That's definitely how it feels here, with summer-like weather often lasting into May these days. It seems to take awhile to warm up in Perth, certainly in comparison to east coast climates. I kind of associate that with Mediterranean and west coast oceanic climates. Some of these climates also experience their coldest month in February (I'm not aware of any station having it's coldest month in August though), while it's common for Med climate's to have their hottest month in February or August. They just seem more influenced by the westerlies in general.
Yes that's true.. actually Vancouver's hottest month is August and not July and usually it stays relatively warm well into September.. but once October hits, things abruptly shift and it gets quite cool and the rains start. By the time November comes along, it truly feels like winter. In fact last year and I think the year before, we had our coldest temperature of the year in November and not in January or February. November is also our wettest month on average so it feels really winter like to me..
Oddly enough, by the time February comes and the flowers start blooming and the days get longer, winter feels more or less over even though it's still quite cool....

Old 12-09-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Yes that's true.. actually Vancouver's hottest month is August and not July and usually it stays relatively warm well into September.. but once October hits, things abruptly shift and it gets quite cool and the rains start. By the time November comes along, it truly feels like winter. In fact last year and I think the year before, we had our coldest temperature of the year in November and not in January or February. November is also our wettest month on average so it feels really winter like to me..
Oddly enough, by the time February comes and the flowers start blooming and the days get longer, winter feels more or less over even though it's still quite cool....
Yeah it's a subjective thing, especially noticeable in climates where there is a big annual swing. Even subjectively, though, I always thought of much of Spring as having more 'wintry' type weather than Autumn. Perth's weather feels 'summery' most of the year; I imagine Vancouver is the opposite, and in recent years we've had Aprils with average maximums around 30C. Amazingly it's snowed in the Wheatbelt of WA as late as November - on the eve of summer.

In general, though, I think of continental climates as warming up a lot faster too. Some parts of the inland US even have their coldest month in December, and Spring there is the warmest season. Daylight length also plays a role, but it's more minor than SST's.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Sydney's record highs for August-November are all higher than Perth's, September especially so, and that's allowing for the fact that the current weather station has only been in operation since the early 90's.
And Sydney is not at the same latitude as Perth - Perth is equivalent to the lower mid-north coast here.
Of most notice is how hot March is in the west, it is considerably hotter than December, which is never the case on the east coast.
On the winter front August is warmer than June here, but August is colder than June in the west - and barely warmer than July.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Sydney's record highs for August-November are all higher than Perth's, September especially so, and that's allowing for the fact that the current weather station has only been in operation since the early 90's.
And Sydney is not at the same latitude as Perth - Perth is equivalent to the lower mid-north coast here.
Of most notice is how hot March is in the west, it is considerably hotter than December, which is never the case on the east coast.
On the winter front August is warmer than June here, but August is colder than June in the west - and barely warmer than July.
Wow I didn't notice that. An autumn month is hotter than a summer month. A more extreme example of this is the California coast where autumn is warmer than summer. Something pretty unique to the temperate zone.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 AM

175 posts, read 324,129 times
Quote:
I used to live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) too for several years, and this was precisely how it would feel like most years. I could remember two or three winters where the coldest temperature was happening in November (Nov 06 was a notable example), though usually Christmas season is the coldest time of the year.

One thing that I would like to add though, while spring might arrive much earlier compared to the East, it often stays forever! Sometimes, we could have high temperatures in the mid to high 50s well into June!!! And of course, August and September are always beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather