Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the climate
A 1 4.55%
B 4 18.18%
C 3 13.64%
D 5 22.73%
F 9 40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Ben Nevis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ben Nevis is the highest peak in the UK (and the whole of the British Isles), at en elevation of 1,334 meters (4,409ft) above sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 10:59 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
F of course. Also had only about 700 hours of sunshine when measured for a while.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
B

A little extreme even for me, but a fascinatingly harsh climate. If summers were warmer, it'd be an A.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Impressively bad considering its fairly modest height. Presumably it's not as cold now as over 100 years ago when that data was taken but still fairly vile - 261 gales a year LMAO Shame they don't give data for snowfall, as with those precip. and temperatures I'd expect there to be, or have been a permanent ice cap and not just in the gullies (though I don't know how its topography affects these things).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
F of course. Also had only about 700 hours of sunshine when measured for a while.
I'd heard they did at one time keep sun data but that's the first figure I've seen - actually not much less than Kinlochewe at sea level, I was expecting worse. I wonder how bad a climate they'd get if Scotland had higher mountains in the 3000 metre+ range - would be fairly amusing I'm sure

Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,932 times
I have ascended Ben Nevis with a climbing friend several years back and we had remarkably good weather (it was August)! The views were terrific as well.

However, that certainly was not typical, and based on the climate stats, I would have to give it an F.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Wow, I would have to with an F for just too much cold. Almost 6 months below freezing. Summer is just bad. Looks beautiful though in the snow shot.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I wonder how bad a climate they'd get if Scotland had higher mountains in the 3000 metre+ range - would be fairly amusing I'm sure
See coastal ranges of SE Alaska and St. Elias range.

For Mt. Logan (5960 m), highest peak in Canada:

No season is really good as the peak is very near the Gulf of Alaska so storms can blow in at anytime and many parties have spent their entire trip hunkered down in their tents. The normal climbing season is from late April to early July with the weather getting worse as the summer progresses and then turning very ugly when winter arrives Some say that the winter ascent is best but this is not for the faint of heart as it is difficult to get an air charter, the temperature is very extreme -40c down to -75c at altitude without wind-chill, the wind is severe 50-150kph and to top it off one is very far North there are only a few hours of light (2-4) in the day. So if you like very cold camping at altitude in the dark this is the place for you.

SummitPost : Hiking, Climbing and Mountaineering

Old 12-07-2011, 01:07 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
See coastal ranges of SE Alaska and St. Elias range.

For Mt. Logan (5960 m), highest peak in Canada:

No season is really good as the peak is very near the Gulf of Alaska so storms can blow in at anytime and many parties have spent their entire trip hunkered down in their tents. The normal climbing season is from late April to early July with the weather getting worse as the summer progresses and then turning very ugly when winter arrives Some say that the winter ascent is best but this is not for the faint of heart as it is difficult to get an air charter, the temperature is very extreme -40c down to -75c at altitude without wind-chill, the wind is severe 50-150kph and to top it off one is very far North there are only a few hours of light (2-4) in the day. So if you like very cold camping at altitude in the dark this is the place for you.

Sounds pretty hardcore! Interesting how it says the weather gets worse as summer progresses, similar as how the best months in the Scottish Highlands are said to be May and June - similar climate genetics I suppose but I never really thought about it. Do you know of any climate data from places like this apart from in the Mt Washington thread you started?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM

389 posts, read 586,640 times
I've been up there - it was in the summer time and pretty cold, cloudy and wet.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Sounds pretty hardcore! Interesting how it says the weather gets worse as summer progresses, similar as how the best months in the Scottish Highlands are said to be May and June - similar climate genetics I suppose but I never really thought about it. Do you know of any climate data from places like this apart from in the Mt Washington thread you started?
Here's some other American mountains:

A number of them are poor quality but they give the general idea. Mt. Denali is off the charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather