Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
Hot sunny weather is boring.
Spend summer in Florida, a paradise of endless cumulonimbus clouds and warm rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:04 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
No, I much much much prefer summers in Seward, and Brooks Range, Alaska, Quebec City, Vancouver and Seattle, Syracuse and Lake George Upstate NY, Northern Michigan and Wisconsin, Lake Superior region of Minnesota, Maine coast

Newfoundland, Canada

Old 04-24-2014, 05:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
Everyone is entitled to their own preferences and opinions. As for me, give me summer. I HATE winter. Cold, icy days, high heating bills (no, I dont have high A/C bills cause I dont run it a lot), slip and falls, digging out cars from feet of snow, icy roads, constantly feeling cold...no thanks. Give me heat, sun and long days!!

After the winter we had, Summer can't come fast enough for me.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erics39 View Post
no, i much much much prefer summers in seward, and brooks range, alaska, quebec city, vancouver and seattle, syracuse and lake george upstate ny, northern michigan and wisconsin, lake superior region of minnesota, maine coast

newfoundland, canada
+1

Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsius View Post
1) I dislike intense sunlight. I find the glare blinding and obnoxious. So basically I'm a vampire.
I'm ambivalent about the sun. I do think it can be a mood elevator, and I've certainly noticed it can elevate my mood. However, paradoxically, it can also be depressing, like when it's too sunny in winter when I want gloomier weather, even if it's still cold. I hate being in the sun, though. I need to seek shade whenever possible. I always wear sunglasses too.

Quote:
2) I am of Anglo-Celtic extraction and thus any long term, or even relatively short-term, skin exposure in hot sunny weather causes painful sunburn that lasts days and puts me at risk for cancer.
I hate sunburns and I get them often. I dislike the aesthetics of tanned skin, not to mention it prematurely ages skin, so I avoid it. I have never in my life understood why a person would sunbathe. I get their aesthetic preferences may be different and they want tanned skin, but the process of actually getting it is just miserable. Yeah, sun is good for vitamin D, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention the higher risk of skin cancer with higher UV levels. Summer weather is actually rather treacherous.

Quote:
3) I strongly dislike the difficulty in breathing that comes with hot weather. I prefer breathing cool, crisp air.
I prefer cool, crisp air as well. I "perceive" hot, humid, stuffy air as more difficult to breathe, but that doesn't actually cause me problems as it does some people.

Quote:
4) I hate being sweaty. It is so uncomfortable and gross.
Amen to that! I hate being sweaty.

Quote:
5) I hate being dehydrated. Indoors this isn't a problem, but if you're out at say, a football game and there's no more Gatorade left, it can be.
While this is not particularly pleasant, the worst thing about this is being out in the sun. Like attending a daytime baseball game and having to sit in the sun for hours. Just miserable for me.

Quote:
6) Nothing to me is worse than a warm, stuffy, sleepless night. I'd much rather a cold night where I had warm blankets.
I can strongly relate to this. I need to pretty much blast my window AC at night in the summer to enjoy sleeping at night. There is nothing worse than a sleepless, stuffy night. Some people may have different body temperatures of sensitivities (or lack thereof), but I cannot personally understand those who would prefer to sleep in a warm room. And as for sleeping in cold, it can be fun: trying to stay warm and being under a nice, warm blanket, rather than disgusting warm nights where you have to toss that blanket and toss and turn. And that sensation when the sleeping temperature is just a little too high, and as you're about to fall asleep, the warmth just hits you and you're unable to.

Quote:
7) Hot sunny weather is boring.
Definitely so. Summer here also features way less temperature variation than spring, fall, or winter, so it is the most boring season, by far.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,226 times
Well i do love our summer weather here.

Highs are mainly in the lower to mid 20s range (C) or (low to mid 70s F), it rarely gets really hot and when it does its only short lived, also we rarely see dewpoints much higher than 16°C / 60°F.
Also sunshine hours are not too high with about 7 hours daily on average, while we could get up to 17 hours astronomically speaking and even though really sunny days (with over 80% of possible sunshine) are rare, days without any sunshine are almost the exception here during summer.

And then also the high latitude where i'm living (53.5° North) comes to play here, the days are very long in June/July with short bright nights and when its clear astromonical twilight last the whole night on the northern horizon- this is also something what i'm craving for each year.
So as a temperate summer lover who hates heat and especially humid heat with sweltering dew points it can't really be any better than this, i only wish we had more thunderstorms..

Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,681,355 times
I don't like temperatures above 75 °F (24 °C). It feels too hot.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Agreed on all counts with the OP. I like it below 20°C and at least partly cloudy. Luckily only July averages highs above 20°C here.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,636 times
[quote=Simon Persica;34499168]I like cold weather but I love swimming. I also have a birthday in the summer. Another great part is the 4th Of July and I get to give my dog a bath. I have some friends and relatives who like hot weather over cold weather. I understand how they feel. Some used to like cold weather as a kid but as they got older are liking hot weather. I don't know if I'm losing interest in cold weather or not. My next door neighbor who died liked hot weather. I might be losing interest in cold weather. Not saying it's definite. Just saying it could be happening.I live in New Orleans Louisiana. It got to 102 degrees before I was born.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I just hate it when it's hot.

I like some warmth, but not extreme heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather