Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times

Advertisements

I'd choose equatorial anyday! Singapore is close to my ideal climate temperature-wise I live in a mid-latitude oceanic climate and it's way too cold for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
Invercargill and Dundee for sure!!!!!!!!

i will HATE to live in a place like Singapore or Manaus, yuck!!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I'd choose Singapore over 85% of climates, the remaining 15% being sunny tropical wet-and-dry climates.

On the other hand, I would chose 85% of climates over high latitude, perpetually cool and gloomy oceanic climates, the remaining 15% being subarctic/polar/etc

So I guess it's not too hard to guess my answer
Invercargill??

Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
I'll pick the equatorial one most likely, unless the "cool temperate" one was some highland tropical climate closer to room temperature year-round and even then, I'm not sure it'd be a definite easy choice over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Both climates tend to be on the wet side.
Well, chances are for the same amount of "wetness", the cool temperate one's going to be a drizzly, all-day sort of wet that makes the coolness worse and damp, while the tropical one's going to have quick showers that end soon with sun in between, so that's an additional factor that I'd definitely favour.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:49 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd choose equatorial anyday! Singapore is close to my ideal climate temperature-wise I live in a mid-latitude oceanic climate and it's way too cold for me
What's your ideal temps by the way? I know you hate cold but not to what extent you enjoy heat

Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
What's your ideal temps by the way? I know you hate cold but not to what extent you enjoy heat
My ideal temp range is 28-32°C highs and 20-24°C lows throughout the year. The more seasonless the better

Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Well, chances are for the same amount of "wetness", the cool temperate one's going to be a drizzly, all-day sort of wet that makes the coolness worse and damp, while the tropical one's going to have quick showers that end soon with sun in between, so that's an additional factor that I'd definitely favour.
This is true. However there are interesting cases of high-rainfall tropical climates (Kuching, Malaysia) and cool-temperate climates that have heavy rains (and probably downpours) often (Forks, Washington).

Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
a cool temperate climate is what the majority of the world's population prefers, and Europe was where the modern industrial world came about, not eurocentric here but that is the reality. Living in an equatorial climate means that you'll be paying thousands of dollars on the electric bill every month, who would want that. And I don't need to hear the rubbish tripe about how some people don't use A/C. I lived in Vietnam for 9 years and hong kong for 2 years so yeah, anyone on here who assumes that people in the tropics don't use a/c or complain constantly about the heat needs a reality check. If you travel to the poor localities in Southeast Asia, you often see people try cooling themselves with the hand fans.. One of the reason that accounts for the high immigration rate out of Southeast Asia, and central America to Europe and the US is the cooler weather .

Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
a cool temperate climate is what the majority of the world's population prefers, and Europe was where the modern industrial world came about, not eurocentric here but that is the reality. Living in an equatorial climate means that you'll be paying thousands of dollars on the electric bill every month, who would want that. And I don't need to hear the rubbish tripe about how some people don't use A/C. I lived in Vietnam for 9 years and hong kong for 2 years so yeah, anyone on here who assumes that people in the tropics don't use a/c or complain constantly about the heat needs a reality check. If you travel to the poor localities in Southeast Asia, you often see people try cooling themselves with the hand fans.. One of the reason that accounts for the high immigration rate out of Southeast Asia, and central America to Europe and the US is the cooler weather .
Can we please avoid debating about this for the 9th time?

Yes, most of the world's most developed nations are those with cool temperate climate.

No, not all warm temperate or even tropical areas are poor and undeveloped;
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, you do not represent "the majority of the world's population" and can't speak for what 7 billion people like;

and most importantly

No, not everyone hates living in a warm climate, not everyone complains, and not everyone uses AC 24/7

Old 01-19-2012, 04:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Keeping in mind I'm talking about particularly cool examples of cool temperate climates, where the average summer is more 'mild' than even 'warm' and often almost wintry feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather