Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Brisbane (Aus) vs Jacksonville (Fl, USA)
Brisbane 33 61.11%
Jacksonville 21 38.89%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,376 times

Advertisements

Both humid sub tropical climates. Selected for similarity in their mean maximum temperatures, sunshine and both from the same climatic type.

Brisbane:
Brisbane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jacksonville:
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brisbane has more stable maximums throughout the year. The sunshine has been incorrectly reported in Wikipedia. The annual total is more around 2,800 hours so Jacksonville is slightlier sunnier.

Brisbane has considerably less precipitation, but occurs on around 10 day/year more on average.

I would go with Brisbane due to its max temperature stability (summers would not be quite so oppressive and winters would be terrific).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Both humid sub tropical climates. Selected for similarity in their mean maximum temperatures, sunshine and both from the same climatic type.

Brisbane:
Brisbane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jacksonville:
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brisbane has more stable maximums throughout the year. The sunshine has been incorrectly reported in Wikipedia. The annual total is more around 2,800 hours so Jacksonville is slightlier sunnier.

Brisbane has considerably less precipitation, but occurs on around 10 day/year more on average.

I would go with Brisbane due to its max temperature stability (summers would not be quite so oppressive and winters would be terrific).
Brisbane for lower rainfall and less demanding summers. With the known difficulty of comparing sunshine from different countries, I would be cautious - the latest Brisbane Aero site reports an average of 8.1 hrs/day (2000-2011) - a short record so far to be sure, but not far below the Wikipedia numbers.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
They are both pretty close in terms of mean temps (monthly/annual). 2,800 hrs of sun is plenty, so both would be fine in that regard. There are more rain days in Brisbane which I don’t like.

Being one who enjoys the coast/beach, I think sea surface temps might be the deciding factor. I don’t know how warm the surf temp is of Brisbane; though I’m sure it has to be at least 27 C (80 F) in summer. Jax beaches can often have SST of 28 – 29 C (lower 80’s). So if Brisbane had SST just as warm I might even go with Brisbane….if not, then Jacksonville.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
They are both pretty close in terms of mean temps (monthly/annual). 2,800 hrs of sun is plenty, so both would be fine in that regard. There are more rain days in Brisbane which I don’t like.

Being one who enjoys the coast/beach, I think sea surface temps might be the deciding factor. I don’t know how warm the surf temp is of Brisbane; though I’m sure it has to be at least 27 C (80 F) in summer. Jax beaches can often have SST of 28 – 29 C (lower 80’s). So if Brisbane had SST just as warm I might even go with Brisbane….if not, then Jacksonville.
Here is a link I've used in older threads for Australian SSTs:
Sea Temperatures around Australia's Cities

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this data as unsure as to its source, but suspect it is fairly accurate.

Florida would have warmer SSTs in summer, but what appeals about Brisbane is it would be comfortable to swim year round.

Agree the less precipitation days gives Jacksonville a tick from me also (but still stick with Brisbane overall).

I was trying to find a close match to Brisbane and suspect Jacksonville is fairly close!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Here is a link I've used in older threads for Australian SSTs:
Sea Temperatures around Australia's Cities

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this data as unsure as to its source, but suspect it is fairly accurate.

Florida would have warmer SSTs in summer, but what appeals about Brisbane is it would be comfortable to swim year round.

Agree the less precipitation days gives Jacksonville a tick from me also (but still stick with Brisbane overall).

I was trying to find a close match to Brisbane and suspect Jacksonville is fairly close!
Brisbane SST are still pretty nice in summer - 80 F/27 C.

I don't see stations below Brisbane, however. What would SST be in Townsville or Cairns in mid summer? Cairns is about 12 F warmer in Jan than Brisbane, I would think SST would be mighty warm in Cairns by late summer.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Brisbane SST are still pretty nice in summer - 80 F/27 C.

I don't see stations below Brisbane, however. What would SST be in Townsville or Cairns in mid summer? Cairns is about 12 F warmer in Jan than Brisbane, I would think SST would be mighty warm in Cairns by late summer.
Here's another link with today's SSTs:
Australian Region Daily Sea Surface Temperature: Full Domain

Townsville and Cairns would be up around 30C now. The only problem in northern Australia in summer are the box jellyfish which make swimming quite unsafe.

Some beaches have netted enclosures, although no guarantee of not getting on the back end of a rogue stinger tendril (or whatever they're called)

Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Brisbane is my A+.. so brisbane it is.

Also if you based it not only on the climate factor but overall quality of life Brisbane would rank much higher.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
Prefer Jacksonville due to its potential to get much colder during the winter, though Brisbane seems to have more comfortable summers.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Jacksonville for the cooler winters.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Brisbane definitely... no winter cold snaps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather