Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of weather scares you the most?
Tornadoes 32 50.00%
Hurricanes 15 23.44%
Thunderstorms 2 3.13%
Blizzards 1 1.56%
Thunder 0 0%
Lighting 3 4.69%
Hail 1 1.56%
Rain downpours 1 1.56%
Floods 2 3.13%
High Wind 0 0%
Ice 1 1.56%
Nor'easters 0 0%
Dust storms 3 4.69%
Fog 1 1.56%
Other 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

tornadoes because most times you never know they are coming, and even when you do you have 1-10mins to get out the way..at least with a hurricane you know days in advance..or a flood, you can see it gradually happening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
drizzle. Nothing worse than staring down a week of overcast damp mucky drizzly gloom

Old 04-28-2012, 07:29 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
I'm sorry that you broke your leg. But earthquake is not a weather/meteorological event.
I agree. Too often weather events are conflated with natural disasters in general. Even the American Weather Channel does this from time to time. It's most annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
I'm shocked that some people can blindly choose ice and fog over tornadoes. What kind of world is this?
A world where many people have preferences and attitudes that are different than mine or yours. Still, I'd think that even for these people being trapped in a tornado would be a lot more frightening than trying to negotiate an icy road or fog. At least in these two you can pull over to the side of the road, and there are countermeasures, whereas withstanding a tornado is quite difficult. Feat is a different matter, but I wonder if many of the voters are basing their choices on what they dislike, as opposed to what they fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
tornadoes because most times you never know they are coming, and even when you do you have 1-10mins to get out the way..at least with a hurricane you know days in advance..or a flood, you can see it gradually happening
The latter supposition doesn't apply if it's a flash flood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
drizzle. Nothing worse than staring down a week of overcast damp mucky drizzly gloom
Drizzle may be lousy (for you anyway), but I have trouble seeing how it could be in the least bit frightening.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,955,803 times
For me, it's heavy fog or torrential downpours. Sometimes, I've actually seen situations where there's fog and heavy rain at the same time, seriously decreasing visibility to where you can't even see the road in front of you.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 PM

971 posts, read 1,453,797 times
Been there, done that too case44. 5 hours of following a semi's tail lights from Dallas to Joplin up 71.

I was one tired puppy.

I still chose the tornados, been in too many.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

Drizzle may be lousy (for you anyway), but I have trouble seeing how it could be in the least bit frightening.
I understand that you foam all over any form of crap weather, but cloudy grey cold drizzle is scary for its tremendous depression value. And ofcourse for the fact that it makes the landscape look as if polluted by H-bomb fallout (right down to radioactive bullcrap falling out of the sky in a fine, foggy mist), as opposed to vibrant colourful sunshine.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 AM

118 posts, read 261,448 times
Severe Blizzards have to be the most terrifying weather phenomenon on earth. 100 mile per hour winds heavy snow no way to keep warm and no way to escape.

Waking up in a house when its below 0 inside is not fun.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
I understand that you foam all over any form of crap weather, but cloudy grey cold drizzle is scary for its tremendous depression value. And ofcourse for the fact that it makes the landscape look as if polluted by H-bomb fallout (right down to radioactive bullcrap falling out of the sky in a fine, foggy mist), as opposed to vibrant colourful sunshine.
I see. I learned something new today, which is one of the main points of this entire forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestRepublic View Post
Severe Blizzards have to be the most terrifying weather phenomenon on earth. 100 mile per hour winds heavy snow no way to keep warm and no way to escape.

Waking up in a house when its below 0 inside is not fun.
Perhaps two little inventions have escaped your mind, namely central heating and arctic-grade warm clothing. Even if you didn't have central heating subzero temperatures could be dealt with inside with warm clothing and blankets, though even for me that would be a major problem, plus the added displeasure of likely having pipes burst. Getting out of bed would be quite an involved process. In addition, warm clothing, assuming it's high-grade, will protect you against the strongest blizzards, although zero visibility would greatly impair you and depending on circumstances could prove deadly, unless you're properly prepared for it with a rope line that you could follow back to your home base. Of course this depends on how cold it is. 100 mph winds when it's close to freezing isn't cold enough to kill a person (10F wind chill). However if there's 100 mph winds when it's -40 out, then you'll encounter a good deal of risk even with the warmest clothing available (-100F wind chill).

Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I see. I learned something new today, which is one of the main points of this entire forum.

Perhaps two little inventions have escaped your mind, namely central heating and arctic-grade warm clothing. Even if you didn't have central heating subzero temperatures could be dealt with inside with warm clothing and blankets, though even for me that would be a major problem, plus the added displeasure of likely having pipes burst. Getting out of bed would be quite an involved process. In addition, warm clothing, assuming it's high-grade, will protect you against the strongest blizzards, although zero visibility would greatly impair you and depending on circumstances could prove deadly, unless you're properly prepared for it with a rope line that you could follow back to your home base. Of course this depends on how cold it is. 100 mph winds when it's close to freezing isn't cold enough to kill a person (10F wind chill). However if there's 100 mph winds when it's -40 out, then you'll encounter a good deal of risk even with the warmest clothing available (-100F wind chill).
You adore extreme cold, so why would you need arctic-grade warm clothing and central heating? And why would getting out of bed be an "involved process", when you find bone chilling temps to be so invigorating?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Your posts are always funny, thanks for sticking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather