Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate- West Yellowstone, Montana, USA.
A 3 15.79%
B 2 10.53%
C 5 26.32%
D 7 36.84%
F 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 09:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

Rate this subarctic climate with its higher elevation at a mid-latitude:
Attached Thumbnails
Poll: Rate the Climate- West Yellowstone, Montana, USA-6-15-2023.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 09:41 PM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times
Relative to my ideal climate of a quintessentially 4 season Dfa/Dfb humid continental climate, I rate it a C.

What needs improvement:

-Diurnal variation too high (I want 10-11C).
-Precipitation 50 percent too dry and not even enough with too much snow (1/3 as much is what I want).
-Average temperatures about 5C too cold in winter and 7-9C too cold (varies depending on the month) from spring to fall. This comes next after fixing the diurnal variation.

What is good:

-January and July average highs both fall within my ideal range (-1C to -5C for January, and 25C to 28-29C for July).
-Still follows the basic 4 seasons pattern.

Old 06-15-2023, 10:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,093,260 times
D

Nights are too cold, especially during the warmer half of the year, which makes for a short and challenging growing season. Also don't get to sleep with the window open much, which I love doing when the temperature is suitable. A diurnal range of 22C for mid-summer is totally ridiculous and the opposite of what I want. The smaller the diurnal range, the better, as far as I'm concerned, like Bucaramanga has a great diurnal range (Hong Kong too but aside from the diurnal range, the climate is not as ideal for me).

Aside from that, summers are too dry, and winters too cold. Overall, it's too cold. My ideal climate would have an annual mean of 18-21C, so 1.5C is considerably colder than that.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:02 AM

I rate it a B, I like the fact that the temperatures can get lower than -55C. It is too dry, however. Snow amounts are decent.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:10 AM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I rate it a B, I like the fact that the temperatures can get lower than -55C. It is too dry, however. Snow amounts are decent.
Does the increased UV from the nearly 2km altitude have anything to do with the B rating? It may be as high as lower latitude places which are less your cup of tea.

Old 06-16-2023, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Does the increased UV from the nearly 2km altitude have anything to do with the B rating? It may be as high as lower latitude places which are less your cup of tea.
Better tree coverage would make a difference in that area compared to a drier sunnier climate like Denver further south. Climates that are north of 43N latitude are adequate enough overall based on that component.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:18 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,363,264 times
I've been to W. Yellowstone during winter, and went cross country skiing nearby in Big Sky MT. It is one of the most frigid towns in the lower 48 US states that I know of. Sure, there are a few colder places, but not many that you can call an actual city or town. Oh man, you need super-insulated living quarters and a darn good heating furnace or stove.

I am more in the camp of what memph described in post #3. Funny he mentioned Bucaramanga, which I've also been to, but I prefer a bit cooler at night like in Ibague, Colombia.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:50 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,093,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've been to W. Yellowstone during winter, and went cross country skiing nearby in Big Sky MT. It is one of the most frigid towns in the lower 48 US states that I know of. Sure, there are a few colder places, but not many that you can call an actual city or town. Oh man, you need super-insulated living quarters and a darn good heating furnace or stove.

I am more in the camp of what memph described in post #3. Funny he mentioned Bucaramanga, which I've also been to, but I prefer a bit cooler at night like in Ibague, Colombia.
I've never been to Colombia (only Ecuador in SA), but the climate stats for a lot of the cities there look quite nice. Milder than other parts of the tropics due to elevation, but still relatively humid. According to the stats Ibague has slightly warmer nights (and significantly warmer days) though?

Old 06-16-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Low latitude high elevation climates sound appealing, but only with dense tree cover to counteract the excessive sun angle.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:12 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,059,103 times
C-

Can't rate it higher than that, as the lows are too cool....I wonder what gardening zone it is in...
I'm thinking zone 2 .....

I've been to West Yellowstone once ....in summer....cools off quickly at night for sure....

It is one of "cold spots".....along with places like.....Alamosa, Colorado ....Cutbank, Montana....International Falls, Minnesota...

Surprised that no one has mentioned snowfall....I like a little snow but it gets way too much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather