Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which?
Seattle 62 70.45%
Wellington 26 29.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times

Advertisements

Wellington to me has one of the dullest climates in the world.

Basically just a southern English coastal climate, with slightly more sunshine, but even less seasonal variation and much more rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Wellington to me has one of the dullest climates in the world.

Basically just a southern English coastal climate, with slightly more
sunshine, but even less seasonal variation and much more rain.
"Slightly" - as in over 200 more hours than the likes of Eastbourne. "Dull" to me means places like yours - in the "depressing" category in my sunshine totals scheme. No thanks!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,576,766 times
Wellington: 2,065 hours
Bognor Regis: 1,902 hours

Wow, that's such a big difference, so noticeable, I'm sure the average person would notice!

Wellington has the same weather all year round, from a weather enthusiasts point of view there's no place on earth worse then Wellington. Just looking at the weather stats puts me to sleep.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Wellington: 2,065 hours
Bognor Regis: 1,902 hours

Wow, that's such a big difference, so noticeable, I'm sure the average person would notice!

Wellington has the same weather all year round, from a weather enthusiasts point of view there's no place on earth worse then Wellington. Just looking at the weather stats puts me to sleep.
Not for the first time - that average is out of date. 1981-2010 mean is 2113 hours. The difference is certainly enough for me to notice - and that's against your southern coast's sunniest location.

You cannot assess a place's variability by looking at means. I could as well say that your place is the "same" all year round - very cloudy. On shortish time scales Wellington's conditions rainfall and sunshine wise vary considerably, as indeed they do over NZ in general.

If you only looked at mean temperatures for many locations in NZ, you would probably also conclude that things didn't vary much. That would include Takaka in Golden Bay - it just happens that monthly rainfalls there have varied from about zero to over 1200mm (Wellington's extremes are 0mm and 386mm).

Last edited by RWood; 04-02-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 03:56 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Not for the first time - that average is out of date. 1981-2010 mean is 2113 hours. The difference is certainly enough for me to notice - and that's against your southern coast's sunniest location.

You cannot assess a place's variability by looking at means. I could as well say that your place is the "same" all year round - very cloudy. On shortish time scales Wellington's conditions rainfall and sunshine wise vary considerably, as indeed they do over NZ in general.

If you only looked at mean temperatures for many locations in NZ, you would probably also conclude that things didn't vary much. That would include Takaka in Golden Bay - it just happens that monthly rainfalls there have varied from about zero to over 1200mm (Wellington's extremes are 0mm and 386mm).
I've looked at the general temperature variation of NZ cities on sites showing the temps for every day of every month and going back years, and compared with day to day temp variation and also rainfall, there is far less variation there than in the UK, both from summer to winter and week to week.

And let's face it, most of England has warmer summers than Wellington, and colder winters, and this last couple week's weather as one example sees temps go from 24°C to highs of 3-4 this week with snow about to happen. A far more interesting climate IMHO.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 04-02-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I've looked at the general temperature variation of NZ cities on sites showing the temps for every day of every month and going back years, and compared with day to day temp variation and also rainfall, there is far less variation there than in the UK, both from summer to winter and week to week.
Temperatures don't fluctuate wildly - though Christchurch and Dunedin have some large day-to-day variabilities in summer particularly. In the latter case, successive daily maxima of 34C and 12C have occurred.

Re rainfall, if you're just looking at monthly means you will get a completely wrong impression. Many locations in Canterbury for example have near-uniform monthly averages, but in any given year a few months will be much wetter than others. You need to quote something like the coefficient of variation (standard deviation divided by the mean) for a particular month's rainfall to make an assessment. For Napier in March, that value is over 0.9.

Considering only the monthly means, parts of the east and north of the North Island have a wettest month/driest month ratio of about 3:1.

Refer also to the recent thread mentioning Keinton Combe in North Canterbury:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...limates-4.html

Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post

Re rainfall, if you're just looking at monthly means you will get a completely wrong impression. Many locations in Canterbury for example have near-uniform monthly averages, but in any given year a few months will be much wetter than others. You need to quote something like the coefficient of variation (standard deviation divided by the mean) for a particular month's rainfall to make an assessment. For Napier in March, that value is over 0.9.
With rainfall, I haven't quite gone so far as to do a complete statistical analysis, I used websites like tutiempo.net to view individual month's daily rain and monthly totals from month to month, not the monthly means. I would agree that one can't tell about the variation of rain quantity from just monthly means.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
With rainfall, I haven't quite gone so far as to do a complete statistical analysis, I used websites like tutiempo.net to view individual month's daily rain and monthly totals from month to month, not the monthly means. I would agree that one can't tell about the variation of rain quantity from just monthly means.
Monthly totals at Milford Sound usually high, but have ranged from 30mm to 1917mm. The city of Tauranga has a spread of 1mm to 634mm.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 PM

414 posts, read 797,863 times
Seattle easily. Summers are perfect, and winter although dull and rainy most of the time brings with it the chance of snow. Both seasons are inferior in Wellington: often winter like in summer and no real winter in winter. The wind can be terrible at times as it howls through the narrow Cook Strait.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnerd86 View Post
Seattle easily. Summers are perfect, and winter although dull and rainy most of the time brings with it the chance of snow. Both seasons are inferior in Wellington: often winter like in summer and no real winter in winter. The wind can be terrible at times as it howls through the narrow Cook Strait.
Winter inferior? Seattle's dismal average winter sun levels are about equal to the lowest ever recorded in Wellington in any month. Other than on mountain slopes, snow has zero appeal to me, especially around cities. You can put the Seattle winter "where the sun doesn't shine"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather