Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 AM

497 posts, read 983,754 times

Advertisements

I'm a mild lover, but on the warm side. My ideal climate would be one where I don't need heating or cooling. I'd just put up with it and maybe use heating on the odd cold night and maybe use A/C if it was summer and I had people over and we were all sitting in the same room.

The no heating thing is one of the reason I'm not a cold lover. In Australia, for many people it gets cold inside during the winter. Central heating isn't as common as the US, UK, etc. and the way houses are, especially the older ones, it takes a lot of energy to keep the whole house warm. And electricity cost more than in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
I lived in Cairo last summer with no AC... For the hot period ( really just six weeks between the beginning of July and mid-August last year ), I took a lot of showers and used fans to sleep, but it wasn't an awful experience, just a bit sweaty. Indoor temperatures hovered around 35-37 at the peak of the day and 32-35 at night; my apartment always stayed near the daily high for some reason, a very good trait in Cairo winters, as the daily highs are pleasant, and I rarely needed the little heater we owned there.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I lived in Cairo last summer with no AC... For the hot period ( really just six weeks between the beginning of July and mid-August last year ), I took a lot of showers and used fans to sleep, but it wasn't an awful experience, just a bit sweaty. Indoor temperatures hovered around 35-37 at the peak of the day and 32-35 at night; my apartment always stayed near the daily high for some reason, a very good trait in Cairo winters, as the daily highs are pleasant, and I rarely needed the little heater we owned there.
Yikes. You must be one of the hardier posters here.

How hard is it to sleep when it's 32°C-35°C? Does it take longer to fall asleep? Wake up in the middle of the night? (I've had that problem at times when it's about 27°C at night, experienced 30°C a couple of times) After many days of that weather do you adjust? I assume you have the fan blowing on while you're sleeping. Though at 32°C and above, a fan has little cooling effect.

I noticed you changed your location.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yikes. You must be one of the hardier posters here.

How hard is it to sleep when it's 32°C-35°C? Does it take longer to fall asleep? Wake up in the middle of the night? (I've had that problem at times when it's about 27°C at night, experienced 30°C a couple of times) After many days of that weather do you adjust? I assume you have the fan blowing on while you're sleeping. Though at 32°C and above, a fan has little cooling effect.

I noticed you changed your location.
Yes, I'm in Vancouver, for non-climatic reasons ( well, unless tear gas in the streets counts as weather ).

I sincerely didn't have trouble sleeping when the fan was on. It's worth noting that the humidity was extremely low during hot spells, in fact at one point I saw 38C with a dewpoint of -8C, so perhaps that's no worse than a super-humid 27C?

The only big negative was that I woke up really, really thirsty in the morning.

I always sweat a ton, even at fairly low temperatures. I always thought of that as a surprisingly anti-warmth trait in a heat lover, but I guess it fits? Any place where evaporative cooling works, I'm a fountain.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Wow, and I have considerable trouble falling asleep when it's 80F.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
I sincerely didn't have trouble sleeping when the fan was on. It's worth noting that the humidity was extremely low during hot spells, in fact at one point I saw 38C with a dewpoint of -8C, so perhaps that's no worse than a super-humid 27C?

With just a fan and no climate control 38C would be approaching lethal levels of heat for me; of course it really depends on the humidity for me, so perhaps a very dry 38C doesn't pose nearly as much danger, but I'd still be sick from exposure to such weather and I'd be unproductive and down for at least a day.

As a rule fans only work enough for me to bother with them if it's under 70F outside, and even then they don't do much. If it's over 80F inside I can actually feel worse because of the hot, polluted air being stirred up.

Strangely enough when it's hot inside and I do manage to fall asleep I usually wake up thirsty as well, regardless of the humidity. At least that aspect of summer thickness is solved by keeping lots of bottled water in my room (there's usually 2 bottles on my bedside in fact, and I currently have a whole pack (10+) in my bathroom, and maybe 1 or 2 more on my desk).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Wow, and I have considerable trouble falling asleep when it's 80F.
Inside or outside? If it's outside during the evening, the inside temperature is usually hot enough that I don't have a good sleep at all; in fact in hotter weather I sometimes feel worse when I wake up than when I went to sleep the previous evening . The only exception is if it cools down a lot at night, to well below 50F. Of course since I have the misfortune of living in eastern Laurentia (and not, say, Bodie, California) that rarely happens. If we're talking about inside, as far as sleep goes my sleep is totally prevented if the inside temperature is 80F, let alone higher than that. 77F or 78F is my absolute maximum that I can go to sleep in at all (not that it's a refreshing sleep by any stretch of the imagination). If I couldn't get the temperature down below 80F during the night, then I'd leave my house and rent a hotel room; a few hundred dollars is well worth being able to sleep at night, and in fact I did just that during a power outage. I swear that the whole Laurentian power grid is going to collapse the way we're going, but that's another issue.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Yes, I'm in Vancouver, for non-climatic reasons ( well, unless tear gas in the streets counts as weather ).
I was wondering how you were dealing with the local unrest.

Quote:

I always sweat a ton, even at fairly low temperatures. I always thought of that as a surprisingly anti-warmth trait in a heat lover, but I guess it fits? Any place where evaporative cooling works, I'm a fountain.
I've thought humidity makes only a smaller difference if you're still still, especially inside, but at those temperatures ( 32°C +) you might be sweating sitting still, so I guess fans and low humidity would still help. Still sounds like horrible sleeping weather.

Last edited by nei; 04-18-2012 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
I agree with PM. One can have different indoor and outdoor temp preferences, though in my case they're quite close to each other. I like 22-25°C nights and 27-33°C days. Most of the past winter in Nice the indoor temp in my place was around 17-20°C and I felt too cold.

Now I also agree that I tend to prefer cooler temperatures when I have to do manual work outdoors for a whole day or when I have to wear a suit, with long sleeves and a jacket. In that case I'd prefer temps of around 20-25°C, but that's not what I'd consider natural.

When I was an exchange student in Singapore I'd wear only shorts and t-shirts, and this combined with humid weather in the lower 30's°C resulted in the most comfortable settings I could ever think of, even when I spent hours walking outside.

Therefore for me :
Ideal outdoor daytime temps with comfortable clothing (shorts etc.) : 28-34°C
Ideal outdoor daytime temps while wearing a suit or doing manual labor : 20-25°C
Ideal outdoor nighttime temps : 24-34°C (I actually experienced outdoor nighttime temps of around 34-35°C in Delhi and never had a problem with that - there's even something quite fascinating about it but then again, that's with appropriate clothing)
Ideal indoor daytime temps : 23-30°C
Ideal indoor nighttime temps : 22-25°C

So yeah I'd hate wearing a suit with long sleeves when it's 34°C, but that's something I consider unnatural - it's just like carrying a heater around yourself.

As a general rule, and that might sound unusual coming from a cold hater/heat lover, I hate wearing several layers of clothing. If you came across me in a street during cold conditions you'd think I'm a cold lover. I usually wear nothing but a t shirt above 12°C, and would just add a light jacket below that. I HATE wearing sweaters (I never do), I never wear gloves or scarves as well. I remember in December 2010 it was -10°C one morning in Lille and I was just wearing a long sleeve shirt with a light jacket and jeans while everyone had many layers, gloves and stuff. Maybe that's the reason I hate cold weather - because there's nothing I hate more than wearing layers, so I'm basically underdressed in winter, therefore I perhaps suffer from the cold more than I should.

Last edited by dhdh; 04-18-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As a rule fans only work enough for me to bother with them if it's under 70F outside, and even then they don't do much. If it's over 80F inside I can actually feel worse because of the hot, polluted air being stirred up.
As I mentioned before, I've woken up from fans and 70°F outside air. No covers, and the fans were blowing directly onto my bed. 70°F on bare skin can feel cold.

Often, the issue I have with relying on fans is it's too warm at bedtime but too cold in the morning, and I wake up in the middle of the night to put a sheet or light quilt on. My parent's house is warmer in the morning with A/C.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As I mentioned before, I've woken up from fans and 70°F outside air. No covers, and the fans were blowing directly onto my bed. 70°F on bare skin can feel cold.

Often, the issue I have with relying on fans is it's too warm at bedtime but too cold in the morning, and I wake up in the middle of the night to put a sheet or light quilt on. My parent's house is warmer in the morning with A/C.
I've never had that problem, even without covers (I usually wear a sheet at night; I can't get to sleep if I have no covers at all). Even measured by the inside temperature I've never been too cold with a fan on at 70F, with bare skin or covers. As measured by the outside temperature, the humidity which usually accompanies such nighttime temperatures will make me feel like a hot rag anyway, and it will usually be much warmer inside barring a lot of air conditioning. 70F air coming in through my window has no cooling effect at all. Combined with the added humidity it's the biggest reason why I keep my windows shut at night in hot, humid weather. Since I like to be able to keep them open and be cooled down at night, that's another reason for me to loathe summer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather