Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,954,387 times

Advertisements

And I now check the page, and find that some bastard has restored the original data, which was incorrect. I edited the grossly incorrect sunshine hours, and amended the average temps to the 1981-2010 averages (which is given for many US cities on wiki), and now, I find that some A-hole has restored the original out of date and incorrect data

WTF????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
I remember spending quite a bit of time editing a climate section on Wikipedia and someone kept reversing it. Not to mention I was using the actual reference linked. Very annoying.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:18 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
I edited the Leeds climate article and people kept reverting it. I did it again for the final time and it's remained the same to this very day. Persistence my friend!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 PM

nah mate, those tosspots are not worth my time. Probably pimply some fat lard from Sydney that has nothing better to do with it's time. LOL

Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM

775 posts, read 1,170,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
nah mate, those tosspots are not worth my time. Probably pimply some fat lard from Sydney that has nothing better to do with it's time. LOL

It could be a fellow Melbournian for all you know....

However, I do agree...editing Wikipedia can be such a chore these days....sometimes it's not necessarily "vandals" but some hyperactive, busybody "admin" who thinks they know it all....

Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
So true Superluminal, it's usually the admins who revert it and say 'don't change this again'

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,567,719 times
We C-D posters should be given some kind of authority on climate matters

I've had some issues as well quite a while ago when I wrote the climate section for Nice on English wiki and some moron kept trying to replace data with incorrect, unsourced one.

Keep trying

Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 PM

473 posts, read 667,578 times
Wikipedia is such an unreliable source for climate data, at least for Australia, but I've seen dodgy data for places in other countries as well. It always annoys me when they use a site with only 10 years of records (like Brisbane) or just make up numbers (sunshine hours for a lot of places).

In case anyone does not know, the official source for Australian climate data can be found here: Climate Data Online

Here is some examples of climate data for Melbourne:
Climate statistics for Australian locations

Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM

775 posts, read 1,170,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
So true Superluminal, it's usually the admins who revert it and say 'don't change this again'
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
We C-D posters should be given some kind of authority on climate matters

I've had some issues as well quite a while ago when I wrote the climate section for Nice on English wiki and some moron kept trying to replace data with incorrect, unsourced one.

Keep trying

It wouldn't be so bad if the said admins knew what they were doing and/or are knowledgeable on the subject they're editing but as you know that's often not the case....

Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post

It could be a fellow Melbournian for all you know....

However, I do agree...editing Wikipedia can be such a chore these days....sometimes it's not necessarily "vandals" but some hyperactive, busybody "admin" who thinks they know it all....
lol could be, but why would a Melburnian make our climate appear crapper than it really is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
It wouldn't be so bad if the said admins knew what they were doing and/or are knowledgeable on the subject they're editing but as you know that's often not the case....
It would be nothing short of typical if some admin is behind this tripe. I just don't get why, whoever these morons are, why would they reverse correct, up to date data back to uninformed garbage?

Actually, I got a theory. There is this weather forum, called the "Australian Weather Forum" that is full of cold lovers and rain foamers, and as soon as it gets cold and cloudy, they bust their nuts in excitement. They seem to have a never-ending anger at Melbourne's official weather recording station because it supposidly "overestimates" due to heat island effect. What crap, it is simply representative of the temp in the inner city, and is only 1 of hundreds of stations like that in the world. I'm sure one of them noticed it and therefore reversed my work

Australian Weather Forum
The Australian Weather Forum • Index page

full of dribblers, hypocrites, hyperbole, admins and mod "senior forecasters" beating up coming storm events that are always end up being nothing, and the worst, most inaccurate "forecasting" you've ever seen. Once I mentioned, when storms were forecast... "what is the chance of storms today, coz right now it stinks", and someone replied "90% chance of shut up, and an admin told me to "crawl back to what ever hole I came out of".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather