Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,471,841 times

Advertisements

In this thread, let's talk about why summers are awesome. Let's talk about all the things we like to do in the summer - bbq's, picnics, outdoor lunches, days at the beach - whatever you like to do. Talk about your childhood memories, whether it's going down a water slide at an amusement park or just having fun with your Super Soaker.

I don't love the heat, to be sure. I don't really enjoy temperatures above 90F, except in small dozes. Even high 80s can get under my skin if it's humid, with no wind. Still, I love summers. I find it much easier go outside when its warm out. When its cold, I often find myself trying to hide my head in my shoulders as deep as possible, with my hands in my pockets, walking fast to wherever it is I'm going just to get inside as quickly as possible. During the summer, I feel more free, less rushed, more relaxed. At the same time, ironically, I have more energy. I find it easier to get up in the morning. There is something to look forward to at the end of your work day when it's not dark and gloomy at 5pm.

Don't get me wrong - I don't hate winters. I like snow, and I enjoy winter sports. Winters have their place. But it's not my favorite season. The summer is. Yes, hot weather can be annoying, oppressive even. But at least where I live, it rarely lasts for too long.

So, I dedicate this thread to all the summer lovers out there. Cold lovers are not welcome

PS - probably nothing reminds me more of summer than this pop culture classic I used to watch when I was a kid. Good times:

Baywatch theme song (Baywatch tribute) - YouTube

PS2 - supposed to be 81F today (Friday) in NYC. It's almost here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,731,077 times
Summers are so awesome that I wish I could have summer 365 days a year.. hence why I love tropical climates so much
Unfortunately I live in a climate where summers tend to be lacklustre... mild at best from my perspective but they are certainly the best time of year here with plentiful sunshine and long daylight hours.. I definitely enjoy walks on the beach, hiking, having picnics and occasionally swimming outdoors during heatwaves in the summers here

Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,621,571 times
I know I'm usually labelled a 'cold lover' but I love summer here. I love the long daylight hours and the usually pleasant temperatures with the occasional burst of heat to keep things interesting. I'm hoping we get plenty of thunderstorms this year.

I'm certainly interested in what summer 2012 will have in store for us. A repeat of last year with very cool nights or will we get an above average summer with balmy nights? Things will be more clear by June I suspect. Whatever, I hope to have a few barbecues and I am looking forward to those long summer evenings when true night is unheard of here at 54 degrees north.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,542,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Summers are so awesome that I wish I could have summer 365 days a year.. hence why I love tropical climates so much
Unfortunately I live in a climate where summers tend to be lacklustre... mild at best from my perspective but they are certainly the best time of year here with plentiful sunshine and long daylight hours.. I definitely enjoy walks on the beach, hiking, having picnics and occasionally swimming outdoors during heatwaves in the summers here

I hate summers here, but i would probably loved summers there if i lived in Vancouver

Old 05-04-2012, 03:08 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,575,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I hate summers here, but i would probably loved summers there if i lived in Vancouver
You should be happy too; you're heading toward winter

I am also obviously extremely happy that summer is coming, though apparently Nice is still struggling to get above the upper teens °C - I said apparently as right now I'm in Asia and have been so for the past month - and I can tell you that summer has arrived for LONG here already!

Let's see :

I left Nice in early April, raining and temps around 15°C;

then I was respectively :

In Beijing, around 15-25°C with abundant sun; but SO dry,

In Xi'An, around 15-28°C (still in April); partly cloudy and still very dry,

In Hong Kong, around 24-29°C but extremely cloudy and rainy;

In Singapore, 25-33°C and both sun and clouds;

and today, Kuala Lumpur, mostly sunny, where the temp hit 35°C !

So I'm really experiencing an early summer which will probably be my "hottest time in the year", as Nice will fail to reach these conditions even at the height of summer, bar one or two days in August

Kuala Lumpur is slightly too hot for my taste though; I enjoy the occasional 35°C day like today, but I wouldn't enjoy having it every day;

Singapore on the other hand is ideal with its typical high temps of 30-32°C.

Anyway, I wish you all a great summer

Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,211,375 times
THE HAPPIEST TIME OF THE YEAR FOR ME! I love summer! 6 months of straight HEAT and HUMIDITY!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:15 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,010,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
In this thread, let's talk about why summers are awesome. Let's talk about all the things we like to do in the summer - bbq's, picnics, outdoor lunches, days at the beach - whatever you like to do. Talk about your childhood memories, whether it's going down a water slide at an amusement park or just having fun with your Super Soaker.
I see that you summer fans now have your own topic. Blast away .

Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
I'd love summer too, if it didn't get past 80 degrees for most days. That's why I wished I lived in the highlands of Puerto Rico, where the temps are always low 80s, high 70s for most of the year, instead of near the hot, sultry coast.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,435,148 times
I'd love summer, if it actually arrived in this day and age. The last actual summer weather in England (proper, not just two days) was in late June 2010. Before that, end of July 2008. Before that, July 2006.

It's currently in the low 40's outside mid-day in May and summer seems a million miles away. The leaves have actually gone in on the trees, the world is dead. Frosts are about to kill the birds, bees and the flowers.

I love summer (when it happens) for many of the reasons others have mentioned. At least here, summer means I can be comfortable both indoors and outdoors in the same clothing and not have to protect myself from the usual cold of my climate when outdoors. I can enjoy more of my preferred outdoor activities, but most of all the summery weather (when it happens) is a huge mood lifter for me, with the sun, brightness and warm pleasant air. I like it to stay nice and warm into the evenings too, so I can enjoy being out at that time.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,726,575 times
Summer is the best, although autumn days like today are hard to bet.

I like swimming every day. The fishing is better. The garden is full of vegetables. Watching my plants grow. Lots of parties. Most meals outside. Noisy insects. Long days. Lots of live music events. In short-things are great in summer.

My main childhood memory of summer isn't a great one-hoeing tobacco in the hot sun. A couple of hours before school, or 6 hours a day during holidays. The only plus of that, was when working beside the creek, and jumping in every hour or so. Swimming the horses across to the island, or in the river, is a nicer childhood summer memory.

Last edited by Joe90; 05-04-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather