Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you like more?
Moscow 18 62.07%
Edmonton 11 37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM

252 posts, read 735,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's a plot I made of January mean temperatures of Moscow:

This post shows Edmonton was at one time warmer than Moscow:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22900439-post94.html

There was a post where someone said Calgary experienced a noticeable warmup, perhaps Edmonton has done so as well?
Very interesting plot for Moscow, I guess a combo of global warming and urban heat island effect (more vehicles/pollution)?

Yeah, I remember poster that mentioned Calgary getting warmer was
facepalm17 ....had Environment Canada 1981-2010 normals indicating
Calgary January average high around 0c (32F) (was -3c 1971-2000)
I wanted to ask facepalm17 how obtained those 1981-2010 normals as
Environment Canada website still only has 1971-2000 data

Last edited by philobeddoe; 05-10-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Edmonton. Sunnier weather. I used to live in the PA highlands, and they get colder than the upstate NY lowlands, so I have plenty of experience standing outside in the snow, as a kid, waiting for the bus when it was 0F outside. I also did not lose any limbs, nor my sanity, the odd days where the temps got down to the single digits +/- Fahrenheit. When it gets below 20F outside, it all feels the same to me anyway. The only difference, to me, is how fast it cools down the interior of my house

Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
Very interesting plot for Moscow, I guess a combo of global warming and urban heat island effect (more vehicles/pollution)?

Yeah, I remember poster that mentioned Calgary getting warmer was
facepalm17 ....had Environment Canada 1981-2010 normals indicating
Calgary January average high around 0c (32F) (was -3c 1971-2000)
I wanted to ask facepalm17 how obtained those 1981-2010 normals as
Environment Canada website still only has 1971-2000 data
Check the facepalm's link (click on Calgary on my post). I got the Edmonton data from the source.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That comment was presupposing more than that . Most here do know what they're talking about, and know what they want out of a climate, myself included. I'd especially say this for winter fans, who aren't nearly as approved of in Western society as people who want warmth and heat (thus the "peer pressure" effect is absent).
I don't really sense much of "peer pressure" effect. If anything I notice a bit of anti-summer bias, as it's taken for granted that everyone wants to be inside a place with A/C blasting often to what I find rather chilly. Easy to notice on Manhattan streets where the stores leave their doors open with the A/C on as a way to entice people walking by.

Quote:
Climates that feature weather outside of what you've experienced inherently involve more guesswork than ones you're intimately familiar with, but that's no excuse for ignorance. One can analyze how one reacts and the comfort levels and feelings of different levels of cold and extrapolate downward, in many instance 20 or 40 degrees below what's regularly experienced by the person. It also helps to compare your reactions with a person who has experienced much colder conditions than you have. An example would be a person who feels biting cold when it's around 0F, and can't stand anything below -20F. If, in contrast, you're perfectly fine at 0F, then it's likely -20F won't be nearly as much of a problem. One can also mathematically extrapolate using this method; if the same feelings of cold occur at differing thresholds, let's say a 10F or 20F difference, then you can extrapolate all the way down (or up in the case of heat). I have never had the fortune of being in a boreal climate in winter or summer, but I have been in the type of cold that is featured in Edmonton's averages, and I savored every second of it. Make of that what you will. As for the coldest weather, I can extrapolate downward and tell that I'd really like its cold spells. So far in my life my extrapolations and guesses have been totally accurate, so I have no concerns about that. I can really only guess when it comes to cold like Vostok Station gets, but I don't like that climate anyway (in any case I'd probably tolerate it better than some). I have also had extensive experience with windstorms and snow, so I know what I'm talking about with the severe weather. In fact I'd say that my craving for a severe weather or climate intensifies and my preferences harden when I get severe winter weather where I live. That doesn't sound like escapism to me (aside from wanting to escape from a climate that one doesn't like).
Depends on much you trust guesswork. Your method sounds good, but once you extrapolate too far daily conditions and effects could be an entire different world. The other extrapolation problem is for example, I might enjoy an occasional hot and somewhat sticky day, but would I want weather like that for months on end?

I'm surprised you've never been in a boreal climate; though I agree you don't to have lived in one to imagine it if you winters are cold and continental. Do boreal climate due to elevation count? I've been in New England mountains summer to winter (though more in summer) at elevations with boreal forests and even no forest. The only true boreal climate I've been in is Newfoundland, though the Adirondacks and sections of Nova Scotia might be close. Was in Newfoundland early July. Fun to visit but wouldn't want to live in its climate. There might be a possibility have more experience with colder weather and climates than you.

Quote:
The surefire way to tell if someone is just moaning about their weather instead of having a genuine preference is if their craving for cold is intense in summer and wanes a lot in winter, or if they switch to moaning about the cold in winter. Some people are like that, though fortunately I've only seen very few like that post in this forum.
True, but if they are from a typically hot to warm climate you might never hear them complain about the cold.

Quote:
As for tropical climates, I don't think the hottest nights where you live get up to the upper 70's or over 80 Fahrenheit as in some of these climates, so if I'm not mistaken you're extrapolating, too .
I was thinking of milder tropical climates such as Salvador and Puerto Limon which have some resemblance to a hot humid day here, especially when I lived in Long Island which got warmer summer nights. Though yes, I am extrapolating, too.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times
Quote:
Do boreal climate due to elevation count? I've been in New England mountains summer to winter (though more in summer) at elevations with boreal forests and even no forest. The only true boreal climate I've been in is Newfoundland, though the Adirondacks and sections of Nova Scotia might be close. Was in Newfoundland early July. Fun to visit but wouldn't want to live in its climate.
If they have weather resembling their low-elevation counterparts, I'd say alpine climates count. As for myself, my preferences and tolerances are so clear that I'm certain I'd love being in a boreal climate, provided it resembled my dream climate. Something like McKinley Park or Kiruna is far better than Moche, China for instance; a lot of Dfb climates are in fact superior to many Dfc climates, so it depends. As for your experience, we're so far apart in our likes and desires among the conditions both of us have experienced, so your experiences and reports wouldn't be useful to me at all. A climate you find pleasant would to me be awful, and vice versa.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I spent the infamous winter of 2006/2007 in Toronto, and loved it. I know exactly what I want and know exactly how to deal with it.

Climate in TORONTO PEARSON INT in February 2007 - Historical weather records
Quote:
Didn't know it was infamous.
Maybe it's just that I am a bit short-sighted in terms of remembering things but I don't recall it being infamous either (though now that I read the stats I notice how it was colder than average, but for some reason I don't remember it -- maybe other things were going on in my life at the time that I didn't pay enough attention to the weather then, or half a decade is too long to remember -- shouldn't be though! ).

I do remember things like, 2008-2009's winter was kind of snowy, and 2009 had that cool summer though.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
If they have weather resembling their low-elevation counterparts, I'd say alpine climates count. As for myself, my preferences and tolerances are so clear that I'm certain I'd love being in a boreal climate, provided it resembled my dream climate. Something like McKinley Park or Kiruna is far better than Moche, China for instance; a lot of Dfb climates are in fact superior to many Dfc climates, so it depends. As for your experience, we're so far apart in our likes and desires among the conditions both of us have experienced, so your experiences and reports wouldn't be useful to me at all. A climate you find pleasant would to me be awful, and vice versa.
Yea, I realize that. Was just reporting my thoughts and pointing out that I do enjoy visiting those types of area, even if they aren't my climate / vegetation preference. For whatever reason, I find northern climates / places appealing to travel to.

Makes sense alpine climate should count.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Maybe it's just that I am a bit short-sighted in terms of remembering things but I don't recall it being infamous either (though now that I read the stats I notice how it was colder than average, but for some reason I don't remember it -- maybe other things were going on in my life at the time that I didn't pay enough attention to the weather then, or half a decade is too long to remember -- shouldn't be though! ).

I do remember things like, 2008-2009's winter was kind of snowy, and 2009 had that cool summer though.
I've heard a lot about it due to being very snowy. I didn't realise that it was that cold until recently but I did enjoy myself.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've heard a lot about it due to being very snowy. I didn't realise that it was that cold until recently but I did enjoy myself.
I don't think as far as Great Lakes climates are concerned that Toronto is that snowy.. in fact I'm certain even in that particular winter there wasn't continuous snow cover for several months solid. I'm sure compared to Leeds though.. it has much longer lasting snow cover

Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM

51 posts, read 153,973 times
Tough call. I was in Moscow in the summer of 2010 when the place was burning down. I NEVER want to suffer through that kind of oppressive, soul-sucking humidity again. Then again, Edmonton winters can freeze the electrons off an atom.

Milder winters or milder summers? I guess I'd have to go with a cold winter and a cooler summer, so...Edmonton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather