Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours of annual sunshine do you prefer?
< 1,000 hours or less 5 5.49%
1,000 - 1,399 hours 5 5.49%
1,400 - 1699 hours 8 8.79%
1,700 - 1,999 hours 9 9.89%
2,000 - 2,299 hours 10 10.99%
2,300 - 2,599 hours 13 14.29%
2,600 - 2,899 hours 16 17.58%
2,900 - 3,199 hours 14 15.38%
3,200 - 3,499 hours 6 6.59%
>3,500 hours or more 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times

Advertisements

I prefer 500 to 1000 hours. Its sooo boring when the atmosphere is empty and all you see is blue when looking skyward.

I mean we all need some sun, but I much prefer foggy and rainy days with low ceilings and visibility and temps in the 50's or lower 60's (but anything above freezing works).

Of course the main reason is that its pretty fun for me to go flying in this kind of weather totally using the instruments to navigate.

To see what I mean, check out this video I shot a few weeks ago landing in 200' cloud bases. You couldn't even see a thing visually until 25 sec before touchdown!!

(scroll to 5:00 to see the better part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0SP2...ature=youtu.be

On clear days its hard to get out of bed and they just seem to drag on. When its overcast with ceilings less than 500', I'm pretty pumped all day long, even if I'm not planning to fly that day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Maybe most people who post in weather forums are people who find sunshine boring, but I didn't read anywhere that such was a prerequisite to posting here. I would certainly hope not. I would say that it is for people posting about weather in whatever way they wish to do so. I would say the weather forums are every bit as much for people who want Hawaii or Key West type of weather as it is people who like a mix of snow, sand, sleet and sunshine all rolled into one and wish for the weather to be highly variable so as to not be boring.

With regards to my criticism of people in Tucson griping about sunshine, besides the fact that, as that one poster said, it really was a surprise to me that there were/are actually people who feel that way, also it was based on my personal situation insomuch that I had moved to Tucson for the specific reason that I WANTED constant sunshine. I had actually dumped my entire life and moved from NC to AZ with no job awaiting me, no one there whom I knew at all, no rental history, no idea what it was like other than having read newspapers I had read about the place, with me now living in a large city after lived in very rural areas--I was THAT serious about having the weather I wanted. After all of that, I was in no mood for dissent.

As such, I was in no mood to hear griping on the part of others who, as far as I was concerned, could do likewise as me if the weather bothered them that much. If you like it cloudy, move to Seattle. If you like grass, move to a place where grass grows, but as for Tucson it's a desert and whining about the lack of grass and hickory trees was out-of-line. (I even secretly approved of any legislation that would forbid people from growing it on their own property until I realized that clashed with my position that a person's private property was theirs to do with as they pleased. At the same time I left a particular apartment complex because they watered for grass constantly & I felt they should embrace the desert landscaping & tell temporary snowbird residents who wanted greenery to deal with the reality that they weren't in the midwest anymore.) This is a desert. You didn't see me moving to Alaska & griping about how I missed palm trees. If you want it 30 degrees for a high in the winter, move to upstate NY or the like. If you couldn't move due to family etc, tough, but me, I was willing to pay the price for the weather I wanted so stop your whining.

Also, as that one person noted, it actually was a surprise that anyone could possibly have a problem with such weather, I had always heard of people wanting warmth. I had NEVER heard of people in June wishing to vacation in Alaska, but you sure heard loads of people wanting to vacation to Key West in winter. Notice how crowded Key West & Lake Havasu City is in March during spring break but you don't observe cooler places like Montana or Alaska having those huge levels of numbers in summer.

As for strongly expressing disdain for opposing points of view--yes on some level I realize that be somewhat mean-spirited. At the same time it can merely be passion for what you believe and expressing disdain for what one deems lack of taste. With the right tone it can be funny & I think there is a place for it. If anyone remembers the Clint Eastwood movie "Sudden Impact" & the scene where he criticizes his colleague for putting ketchup on a hot dog, he goes so far as to make a little mini-speech about how that bothers him more than the dirty side of being a cop in terms of seeing all the crime etc, saying "nobody & I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog." You laugh at the way he says it, as opposed to calling him a jerk for griping about what somebody else puts on their own food and how it's none of his business anyway. That's the spirit in how I mean the whole critique at how anyone could possibly want it cloudy. I guess, though, Harry Callahan can get away with that because he's Dirty Harry/Clint Eastwood & I'm not that cool, ha ha.

(link
Dirty Harry hates ketchup - YouTube)

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-28-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
At the same time I left a particular apartment complex because they watered for grass constantly & I felt they should embrace the desert landscaping & tell temporary snowbird residents who wanted greenery to deal with the reality that they weren't in the midwest anymore.) This is a desert. You didn't see me moving to Alaska & griping about how I missed palm trees. If you want it 30 degrees for a high in the winter, move to upstate NY or the like. If you couldn't move due to family etc, tough, but me, I was willing to pay the price for the weather I wanted so stop your whining.

Also, as that one person noted, it actually was a surprise that anyone could possibly have a problem with such weather, I had always heard of people wanting warmth. I had NEVER heard of people in June wishing to vacation in Alaska, but you sure heard loads of people wanting to vacation to Key West in winter. Notice how crowded Key West & Lake Havasu City is in March during spring break but you don't observe cooler places like Montana or Alaska having those huge levels of numbers in summer.
I'm sure people in Arizona or Florida would vacation to Alaska to escape the heat. And Montana, Alaska, Wyoming and the like ARE crowded in summer. Yellowstone averages 3,089,188 visitors per year. Source: And Lake Havasu averages 750,000 visitors per year. Source: Whatever you're thinking is a stereotype, that "tourists only go to sunny and/or warm places". (By the way, I'm saying this despite the fact I prefer 2,600-2,899 sunshine hours) And not all vacations are for sunshine and warmth. In fact I might fly up to to Fairbanks next January to (hopefully) experience -45F.

Last edited by Siberian High; 05-28-2013 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2222 View Post
I'm sure people in Arizona or Florida would vacation to Alaska to escape the heat. And Montana, Alaska, Wyoming and the like ARE crowded in summer. Yellowstone averages 3,089,188 visitors per year. Source: And Lake Havasu averages 750,000 visitors per year. Source: Whatever you're thinking is a stereotype, that "tourists only go to sunny and/or warm places". (By the way, I'm saying this despite the fact I prefer 2,600-2,899 sunshine hours) And not all vacations are for sunshine and warmth. In fact I might fly up to to Fairbanks next January to (hopefully) experience -45F.
It may be a stereotype, but it sure fits me. And that it doesn't fit others--if there is a respectable way to say this, frankly, oh well. I still think the "I'm tired of the cold, I want to go where it's warm" sentiment is the more "normal" disposition. Much like Dirty Harry regarding ketchup on a hot dog, my mind is pretty much made up about this. You reserve the right to like what you like and not apologize for it or care that it's not my cup of tea, such is totally understandable, but I'm still going "yuck" in response, hopefully in a respectful way if that's possible.

I do understand the desire to escape oppressive heat, though, even though during my time in AZ I was quite proud of how I STAYED there all year round. Just last year we checked out places to go in July & one of the main things we looked for was a place cooler than here in Texas. That isn't to say I wanted it COLD, heck no, but yes after numerous days of it being 97'F and no clouds at all, it got exhausting, even for me a warm-weather person. Going to a place with highs of 85-90 vs 95-100 was most enticing (but I did NOT want to go where the high was 70 & the low was 40 either).

The main thing I'm really firm on is cloudiness, though, unless they're around when it's 97'F and help the heat not to be so oppressive. Otherwise, to me, there are only 2 acceptable states where it regards cloudiness--sunshine, or rain. Period. That's it. If it's cloudy, it is to be raining. If it's not raining, it is to be sunny. To be cloudy yet to not rain is to be sitting on the toilet and not using it. It's to be in a state of suspended animation. It's to be stuck at the stoplight or to have the car in neutral. As long as you're going to be cloudy, then RAIN and actually DO something. Otherwise all you're doing is mucking up the day just as much as the rain, only without actually doing anything--when it's raining, at least water levels in the lakes & such are helped, and dry trees are now no longer on the verge of becoming a dangerous & destructive wildfire.

As such, what bothers me is when it's cloudy when it's only around 70-80'F, and yet it insists on blasting the hot sun without any clouds for shielding when it's in the 90s or 100. Who needs clouds to shield "heat" at 70 or 80? And if you're fresh off winter and warming up for the first time, as you often-times are when it's 70 or 80, sunshine feels GOOD after 4-odd months of winter weather. I've paid my dues with winter, give me some sunshine now. Save the clouds for when it's in the high 90s and it's sweltering. Up until the last 2 days that's been a main complaint of mine, as it has been cloudy around here an awful lot since spring finally decided to stop acting like it was still winter-time.

LRH

Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
2800-3000 seems to be ideal for me. Above 3200 or below 2500, both are boring and depressing.
agreed, over 3200 means less thunderstorms so 2800 is perfect for me hey guess what that's what I have right now

Old 05-29-2013, 12:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2222 View Post
I would never set foot in those states to admire there weather.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post

As such, I was in no mood to hear griping on the part of others who, as far as I was concerned, could do likewise as me if the weather bothered them that much. If you like it cloudy, move to Seattle. If you like grass, move to a place where grass grows, but as for Tucson it's a desert and whining about the lack of grass and hickory trees was out-of-line. (I even secretly approved of any legislation that would forbid people from growing it on their own property until I realized that clashed with my position that a person's private property was theirs to do with as they pleased. At the same time I left a particular apartment complex because they watered for grass constantly & I felt they should embrace the desert landscaping & tell temporary snowbird residents who wanted greenery to deal with the reality that they weren't in the midwest anymore.) This is a desert. You didn't see me moving to Alaska & griping about how I missed palm trees. If you want it 30 degrees for a high in the winter, move to upstate NY or the like. If you couldn't move due to family etc, tough, but me, I was willing to pay the price for the weather I wanted so stop your whining.
You strike me as a close-minded control freak who wants to impose your views on others and silence the views of others. It's also like conservatives who only watch Fox News and listen to Mark Levin or liberals who only watch MSNBC and listen to Ed Schultz. It can be healthy to listen to the views and experiences of others, whether it's related to politics, weather, lifestyle, culture, etc. Sorry, but humans have been modifying their environment for centuries. At least you recognize the right to private property, but it's still disturbing that you would even consider supporting prohibiting people from growing grass. That's just plain ridiculous. I live in Northern New Jersey. I actually like palm trees, but don't think they fit with the environment here. If someone wanted to plant palm trees or tropical plants on their property, I say have at it. I wouldn't like it, but I realize others may (ignore for moment that such plants wouldn't survive the winters here). If they wanted a yard full of rocks or sand, they have my blessing.

Also keep in mind that people may be stuck living in an area that doesn't fit their preferences. I live in a climate with warm/hot and humid summers and absolutely hate it. I will complain about it all I want. Just like others have a right to complain about the sunshine in Tuscon or the winters in Minnesota. I actually enjoy discussing differing weather preferences with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast
This is actually not true. The cooler summer climates of the US are very popular vacation destinations (Upstate NY, Northern New England, UP Michigan, Alaska, etc.). In 2010, 1.5 million people visited Alaska (Resource Development Council for Alaska, Inc.). 8 to over 9 million people visit Seattle annually (Seattle: Seattle Facts). Granted climate and weather aren't the only reasons people visit certain places. I don't care for Florida's climate, but I've visited the state numerous times.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Also keep in mind that people may be stuck living in an area that doesn't fit their preferences. I live in a climate with warm/hot and humid summers and absolutely hate it. I will complain about it all I want. Just like others have a right to complain about the sunshine in Tuscon or the winters in Minnesota. I actually enjoy discussing differing weather preferences with others.
That is fine you like discussing such things. There's nothing wrong with that. Yes a person has the right to complain, heck I sure did so recently when we couldn't shake winter-time 1 full month into spring. My main thing is that during the time I lived in Tucson, I had chosen to move there because I LIKED 85% sunshine rates. I abhorred the constant cloudiness I saw in NC--to me, if you have 2 weeks where you don't see the sun, as happened periodically in NC, that's just outrageous. Someone else can say they go 3 months & not see it--I don't know how they stand it. My mother lives in OH & says that from like Nov-April you hardly ever see the sun it's always grey, and that it actually has lead to high suicide rates. My response--I don't blame them. I'd go nuts too. What people see in a place like Seattle I'll never know, I know that they'd have to pay me like $1 millon a year for me to even CONSIDER it.

So yes a person has the right to like what they like, to dislike what they dislike, and they have the right to complain, my point is that I do think sometimes it's easier to complain about something versus working to change it. I can be guilty of that in other areas of life myself if I'm not careful. Getting back to my time in Tucson having left NC--I had been whining a lot about how NC was too cloudy, too much rain, too schizophrenic in spring with it 85'F one day and 55'F the next. At one point I realized that my complaining would change nothing, that the better response was to go where the weather was how I liked it to start with, so I left everything & moved.

So yes, when I was in Tucson & enjoying it, I had no interest in hearing dissenting opinions. First-off, like the Dirty Harry character grumbling about ketchup on a hot dog, my response--what kind of idiot complains about sunshine? Are you nuts? Sorry, but that was my response. Beyond that, though, okay fine you hate it--then do like I did. I got off my butt and did something about it. Can't do so? Then TOUGH. Stifle yourself, but I came here to enjoy sunshine, not to hear grumbling from people who actually think a place like Seattle is paradise. Move to your idea of paradise or zip it already.

As for why I dared even ponder agreeing with laws that forbid grass, it was because of the scarcity of water & that grass in a desert just seemed like an excess in such situations. Cities all the time impose water-usage restrictions when needed since being able to wash your clothes & drink water in the heat is kind of more important than having grass or other things like washing your car. That said, I realized that if I advocated that, then one could just as easily also advocate pools not being allowed, and I like having pools, and hey, somehow-someway despite Tucson only getting 12 inches of rain a year they somehow found a way to have lots of pools everywhere and not be in jeopardy of dehydration etc. If grass can't be here because it uses a lot of water, the same would have to go for pools. I realized at that point I was letting my disdain for someone insisting on grass in a beautiful Sonoran desert color what I was advocating laws-wise, so I put a stop to it there.

LRH

Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Moving is easier for some than others - telling people to pick up their entire life and leave for your benefit is completely ridiculous, if someone is unhappy with the weather where they live, than they have every right to bemoan it, especially if they have lived there far longer than yourself. Telling them 'tough' is extremely patronising - you are not the arbiter of what people are allowed to complain about, and I can assure you that every person complains and moans, and removing or changing certain aspects of your life that you don't enjoy is easier said than done.

You know, unless you're different to the other 7 billion people on Earth and have successfully managed to eliminate all the things in your life that bother you. If so, or you manage to 'stifle' yourself for the greater good, then well done, but please remember that we don't all posses the ability to do that, and sometimes it feels good to vent frustration. Don't like it? Tough, it's not going to change, and your highly subjective and personalised ramblings won't change that - ever.

Oh, and your analogies regarding pools and grass are flawed and have no relevance, people complaining about the sun in Tucson won't stop the sun from shining, and nobody says that you have to listen or associate with these people. The weather is out of our control.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 05-29-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

You know, unless you're different to the other 7 billion people on Earth and have successfully managed to eliminate all the things in your life that bother you.
Different "from". It can not be "different to" something only "different from". Pet hate of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather