Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 4 16.67%
B 9 37.50%
C 7 29.17%
D 2 8.33%
E 1 4.17%
F 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times

Advertisements

Vigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A nice climate, in my eyes it's a B- as there is far too much rainfall outside of July and August. A total around 500-600mm per year would be ideal and then it would be an A.

Looks similar to Sophieland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 04:31 AM

355 posts, read 977,189 times
B

Colder winters (snow!) and it would get an A.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
I worked here from February to May 2009 so can add some info if anybody is interested. The airport (where the data is taken from) is up in the hills so the city itself is 1-2C warmer, plus no doubt a bit sunnier and drier. If my time there is anything to go by, weather patterns have a tendency to get stuck so once it is in Atlantic mode the city can get what feels like a conveyor belt of very heavy showers and brief sunny spells lasting weeks on end, likewise when it's in continental mode it can get prolonged stretches of unbroken sunshine. Like in Britain the sunny warmth and cool rain don't necessarily come at the times of year you necessarily expect: in March 2009 the area had three weeks of literally cloudless skies and 20-25C highs, only for 15C maxes and frequent showers to dominate much of April. Strong Atlantic windstorms are not unusual in winter. According to what I once read in their local paper lying snow has been observed in the city only six times since 1950, and I bet in those cases it didn't last long.

I liked the climate there, though the winters slightly warmer and the climate in general sunnier than my ideal. B minus.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
IIf my time there is anything to go by, weather patterns have a tendency to get stuck so once it is in Atlantic mode the city can get what feels like a conveyor belt of very heavy showers and brief sunny spells lasting weeks on end, likewise when it's in continental mode it can get prolonged stretches of unbroken sunshine. Like in Britain the sunny warmth and cool rain don't necessarily come at the times of year you necessarily expect: in March 2009 the area had three weeks of literally cloudless skies and 20-25C highs, only for 15C maxes and frequent showers to dominate much of April. Strong Atlantic windstorms are not unusual in winter.
Patterns sound similar to the coastal west coast of North America, with the sunny phase and rainy phase. Not surprising consider a similar geography. Unlike the west coast of Europe, sunny warmth and cool rain are more strictly distributed around the year. You can't really get cool rain in July.

Parts of the Oregon coast tend to go back and forth between rain and (some) sun over the day, often cycling in a few hours as another storm comes off the Pacific. If it's sunny, that meant rain was coming in soon! That was springtime, in the wintertime it's probably more stuck on the rain phase with few sunny interludes. Is a bit sunnier than the UK, but records rains 20% of all hours.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
A-. One of the better oceanic climates in Europe. Rather wet, but acceptable since it has ok sunshine

Old 06-27-2012, 08:40 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Patterns sound similar to the coastal west coast of North America, with the sunny phase and rainy phase. Not surprising consider a similar geography. Unlike the west coast of Europe, sunny warmth and cool rain are more strictly distributed around the year. You can't really get cool rain in July.

Parts of the Oregon coast tend to go back and forth between rain and (some) sun over the day, often cycling in a few hours as another storm comes off the Pacific. If it's sunny, that meant rain was coming in soon! That was springtime, in the wintertime it's probably more stuck on the rain phase with few sunny interludes. Is a bit sunnier than the UK, but records rains 20% of all hours.
Going off on a slight tangent here I remember somebody posting rain duration numbers on here for the UK and the west coast US numbers somebody else then posted looked much higher (from memory somewhere in Alaska was up in the high 2000s, so precipitation falls basically on average eight hours a day, every day?/), so much so that I thought the figures must not be calculated the same way. I don't know how we calculate these things here (i.e. whether a shower between 3.59pm and 4.01pm counts as two hours of rain or just two minutes) - do you know how rain duration is calculated in the US?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
B

Pretty decent. Ample rainfall, sunshine is okay, and temperatures look fairly comfortable most of the time.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Solid 'C'.. love the rainfall!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
C. A little too warm in the summer, and though still comfortable it's also too warm in winter. I'd also prefer less rain. Overall it's looks reasonably comfortable, just a little too warm for my taste.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
C, too little sunshine, need warmer summer temps. Precipitation looks good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather