Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:10 PM

160 posts, read 397,849 times

Advertisements

It's not the subject matter of his posts; it's the way he frames what he posts. He couldn't continue with a "Winter continues" thread into July, so he immediately transitioned into "Winter begins". He's well aware that summer snow in the Cascades is far from unheard of, yet he feels the need to embolden the phrase "unusually cool". It's the equivalent of me starting a "Summer 2012 continues" thread when Death Valley hits 90 in December. He started a June 2012 Cold Wave thread in response to a June 2012 Heat Wave thread when he knows that what he's describing is not a cold wave. He argues that scientists and the media cherry pick their data to support global warming, and then does the exact same thing to support his beliefs that Earth is not warming. I should not feel like I need to pick a side to read a post about current weather.

If he wants to discuss unusually cool events, great! I want to know about them. Just put it in one thread and be unbiased about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
It's just fine if you start a Summer Continues in South thread in Autumn. In fact I'd encourage it. And the unusually cool part is from the National Weather Service, who are hardly a bunch of global cooling hacks. Snow is occurring now in places where it does not typically occur

As for Cambium, he is attempting to counteract the cherry-picking he mentions by providing counter-examples, and he feels no need to cover that which is already blared out constantly by the mainstream media. With some justification I might add since you can read about record highs anywhere but he's one of the few voices who puts out news on the other end. You are a classic case, since you seem to have no problem with mainstream heatmongering, but at the same time you demand non-bias from the other side. In addition, this new thread was actually my idea, since July and onward is a new snowfall season by all measures, and not "Winter 2012 Continuing". As for the record lows associated with the current heat wave, this is an entirely different phenomenon and surely deserves a different topic. Nary a peep has been heard out of national media outlets concerning the record lows, which are another and very interesting side of the story that was completely neglected. Although it's hardly a cold wave, and there were more record highs set than lows, I am dismayed to see Cambium and other people who are trying to do a good service being met my ridicule from people who claim to be weather enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM

160 posts, read 397,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It's just fine if you start a Summer Continues in South thread in Autumn. In fact I'd encourage it. And the unusually cool part is from the National Weather Service, who are hardly a bunch of global cooling hacks. Snow is occurring now in places where it does not typically occur
First off, this is not "winter" starting. Snow does not equal winter, and heat does not equal summer.
Second, if you want a new thread on every temperature variation in every region in the country, you will drown in threads.

Quote:
You are a classic case, since you seem to have no problem with mainstream heatmongering, but at the same time you demand non-bias from the other side.
Thanks for jumping to conclusions, but you couldn't be farther from the truth. I agree that the media has a pro-global warming agenda and said so in one of Cambium's threads a few days ago. The difference is that I ignore the bias while Cambium chooses to stoop to their level.

What I'm dismayed at is the number of people who try to use individual weather events to convince other people of something of climatological significance.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:09 PM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
In addition, this new thread was actually my idea, since July and onward is a new snowfall season by all measures, and not "Winter 2012 Continuing".
Thanks, I assumed everyone kinda figured that one out but "assume" means one thing I guess. (my fault for not explaining) To my acknowledgment temperatures are not in the 20s & 30s and doesnt snow in Summer time in Northern Hemisphere, thats winter weather... Hence "winter Weather Advisories" (cough cough).. Thanks for pointing all this out for me.

Quote:
As for the record lows associated with the current heat wave, this is an entirely different phenomenon and surely deserves a different topic. Nary a peep has been heard out of national media outlets concerning the record lows, which are another and very interesting side of the story that was completely neglected.

Although it's hardly a cold wave, and there were more record highs set than lows, I am dismayed to see Cambium and other people who are trying to do a good service being met my ridicule from people who claim to be weather enthusiasts.
Well said. 259 Record Lows in the past week alone. Yes...less than Record Highs, but again.. Not 1 low mentioned in the mainstream media. 259 Record lows including Hawaii, Florida and MANY southern States. Temperatures that went so low they broke the all time Daily record. I wont be brainwashed by the outlets!!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Well said. 259 Record Lows in the past week alone. Yes...less than Record Highs, but again.. Not 1 low mentioned in the mainstream media. 259 Record lows including Hawaii, Florida and MANY southern States. Temperatures that went so low they broke the all time Daily record. I wont be brainwashed by the outlets!!
Well, a number of stations broke not just the daily record but the all-time record during the recent heat wave.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM

True. There a lot less record lows than record highs and the cold certainly isn't nearly as intense as the heat, but it's a real phenomenon and it is notable occurring in the midst of that heat wave. It just speaks to the dry air producing the big daily ranges during the hottest weather and it's a very interesting aspect. The fact that it hasn't been reported widely speaks to the real bias here, both towards record highs and the general dumbing down of weather reporting, and the tabloidization of news media in general actually.

I'd be the first to say that "snow doesn't equal winter", but the concept remains the same. There are many places in the N.H. that usually gets cold and snowy weather even in summer, but the places under those alerts aren't one of them.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:05 PM

From NWS Seattle, WA.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=sew

I think seeing snow at 5000' is pretty amazing. That means the 850mb layer is near or below freezing which is usually north in Canada in July.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 AM

Snow levels down to 5000 feet strikes me as unusual, especially for July 3. If I'm not mistaken there were no July snowstorms down to that level in July of last year. As usual, the people lucky enough to be on Mount Rainier will get the most beautiful conditions - a few inches of fresh powder just before Independence Day:

Hurricane Ridge has a similar forecast, though they're supposed to stay in the upper 30's and thus their summer snow will be much slushier.

From the forecast there looks to be a rather abrupt transition from all rain to all snow in today's forecast, i.e. no big prolonged mixes are expected. At 5600 feet it's supposed to be all snow at first then changing to all rain.

Although this isn't exactly related, 2012 seems to be a banner year for early Summer/late Spring snow. Northern Scandinavia got up to 8 inches of snow in early June, and Northern Finland towards the end of the month got some snow which from the picture provided looks like from half an inch to one inch at most.

I for one welcome the expansion of places with year-round snowfall. I may not want to live in a place that's glaciated, but I'd like to have much more year-round snow closer to home.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Snow levels down to 5000 feet strikes me as unusual, especially for July 3. If I'm not mistaken there were no July snowstorms down to that level in July of last year. As usual, the people lucky enough to be on Mount Rainier will get the most beautiful conditions - a few inches of fresh powder just before Independence Day:
Paradise, Mt. Rainier stayed above freezing last July 2011 (though 8000 feet likely got snow off and on). However, the amount of snow on the ground was higher.

July 3, 2011: 75.7 inches of water equivalent on the ground
July 3, 2012: 53.6 inches of water equivalent on the ground

I'm using water equivalent since the snow depth is skewed by compacting and partial melting within the snow pack. Currently, the snow depth is 73 inches, so about a 1:1.25 snow to water ratio.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:31 PM

I didnt know where to put this post but thought it was nice to share... I'm definetly in the wrong place. They are having a blast up there.(except maybe the last picture here where they look like they are freezing, lmao)

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather