Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: Atlantica, Sunland
A 1 7.14%
B 1 7.14%
C 2 14.29%
D 2 14.29%
F 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:03 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,912 times

Advertisements

Impressive winter record lows. They look plausible given the size of the island and similar numbers in WA.

F- climate though.

That said, Winter would be a nice time of year to visit for a holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
Overly hot, dry and sunny.

D

Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
It looks very similar to a fake climate I created called "Stolton City" (located 14-15°N in the Pacific Ocean) but a lot dryer. So I would rate this a C+. I would prefer more temperature variation and more rain and storms.

This is a suburb of Stolton City:
Funny you mention that because I thought the exact same thing when I clicked on your Stolton City thread and saw the climate. The respective highs are nearly identical and the rainfall pattern is very similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
B+

I love pretty much everything except the heat indexes in November, December & January, that would probably be over the top even for me (Though I enjoyed days with 30°C lows and 40°C highs in Delhi once, but that would have to be very occasional...) The record lows are too low in every month as well; 4.8°C is unacceptable

September looks gorgeous.
You know a city is hot when even Dhdh says it's too hot The high lows in Nov and Dec are partly the result of the urban heat island (just like any other large city). Basically, you have the sultry air caused by the 30C+ SSTs pooling in the Atlantica basin, couple that with the heat radiating off all the concrete and asphalt and bob's your uncle

The record lows in winter are caused by the perpetual clear skies, generally light winds and humidity does get quite low in the dry season. Negative dewpoints occur a few times every year. Places like Broome in WA get pretty cool, lows under 10C are fairly common in winter

Old 07-15-2012, 05:44 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
B+. Aptly named Sunland and I would have few reasons to complain about lack of sun. The temps are too hot for me though which is where it loses marks. A great place to go to if you wanted a heat and sun burst though.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
An F, horrible climate.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
You know a city is hot when even Dhdh says it's too hot

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing at all against a good 36°C day (Nice reached 35.2°C a couple of days ago, and it was extremely pleasant) - but 6 consecutive months with average highs around or above 35°C might get a little exhausting especially that it implies a good chunk of 40°C+ days (which I could enjoy perhaps once a month, not more).

How would you rate that climate? You posted a bunch of Sunland climates but never told us which one was your dream climate (or maybe you did but I don't remember you doing so.) ^^

Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing at all against a good 36°C day (Nice reached 35.2°C a couple of days ago, and it was extremely pleasant) - but 6 consecutive months with average highs around or above 35°C might get a little exhausting especially that it implies a good chunk of 40°C+ days (which I could enjoy perhaps once a month, not more).
There's actually not as many 40C days as you might expect. Because the prevailing winds are out of the east (onshore) and humidity is high, temps don't exceed the averages by much unless there is a southwesterly airstream which only really occurs if there is a low pressure cell to the east or a strong high to the south. Annual number of days above 40C is only about 10.

Although this is at the downtown site, which is only 8km inland, in the outer inland suburbs (about 40km inland), things get a bit hotter

Quote:
How would you rate that climate? You posted a bunch of Sunland climates but never told us which one was your dream climate (or maybe you did but I don't remember you doing so.) ^^
I'd probably give it a B+ .... a cool season wouldn't hurt but sunshine is excellent and there's thunderstorms in the wert season. You can probably guess what I give "Le Hole" though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather