Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:38 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times

Advertisements

I just found out about it. This will be helpful for anyone not already in the know. A sticky would be great...

Example: Get monthly summary data
  1. Go to Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center
  2. Click on Monthly Data
  3. This will bring up the world map. If you type a location in the Locator box, you can go to directly to that location. Otherwise, you can zoom in and out with the map tools.
  4. From what I see, you can't click on a station directly. Instead, there is the Select by Rectangle option in the Select Tools box. There are other options too; I haven't tried them out.
  5. Once you have selected the area with the station you want, a box will appear showing all of the stations you selected. You can choose one or more stations. Click Get Selected Data.
  6. A new tab/window will show up. Enter your email the data will be sent to and the date period you want.
  7. For Climate Delivery Format, go here for examples of how the data will look when you get it.
  8. Go to continue and follow the rest of the steps. The "order" is free, so don't worry about that. They say that it might take 24-36 hours, but it took me less than 5 minutes to get all of the monthly data (1891-2012) from the weather station at the University of Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
In Australia, the BOM's website lists all records for every weather station and you can select stations either by lists of every station in a particular state or by clicking on a station via a zoomable and pannable map.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
In Australia, the BOM's website lists all records for every weather station and you can select stations either by lists of every station in a particular state or by clicking on a station via a zoomable and pannable map.
We are lucky here in that regard. BOM have a terrific website IMO. I'm always discovering another section of facts and data due to the extensiveness of the site.

You can download historical data very easily (although oddly you have to pay for historical sunshine data whereas the min, max and rainfall observations are accessible for free...).

Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
NZ's NIWA site now allows free downloads of "everything" (though up to 2007 they charged like the proverbial).

Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 PM

Has anyone tried downloading non-American data through this method? I tried getting some data from Japan and it worked for me.

If no one tries, I will see what I can find later.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 AM

Update: Just got data from a city in Cameroon. Talk about a one-stop shop!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
To get monthly summary data for American stations go here:

SOD USA Climate Archive State Selection Map

If you want individual records, click on a state, then a station (check to make sure it has a long enough time period!). On the left bar is a large selection of links to different info: averages for different 3 decadal periods (1961-2000,1971-2010, etc), median freeze dates, records for each day (scroll down to "Daily Summary Stats"), Temperature, precipitation and snowfall data for each month. Two standard deviations are available, and they're not the same thing:

1) Monthly mean deviation
2) Daily

for (1) scroll down to monthly temperature listings on the left bar and choose mean, max or min. or mean. scroll down for devation (2) click on daily tabular data for any 30 year time period on the left.

the NCDC also makes maps:

http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/cli...lcome&subrnum=

unfortunately uses 1961-1990 data for most. For recent data to your location in the NWS weather service site. Scroll down to the bottom to "Past Weather Information" or "Local Climate" or just click on "Mor. If you have "Past Weather Information" instead of "Local Climate" you have to click once more, after going to "Past Weather Information" there should be a link on the left for Local under Climate on the left blue bar. Then poke around.

Some locations you might have to click on the "More Local Wx" link on the forecast page instead, and then find Local Climate on the left blue bar.

Last edited by nei; 02-04-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Canadian data:

Home | Canada's National Climate Archive

Canada does a better presentation, use the map or search tool to get monthly data. If you use the map clicking on a province, then station, click under Daily Data under Navigation and you can navigate through historical data.

Climate average are available from the link I gave above under "Canadian Climate Normals"

Old 09-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Of english speaking countries, we're missing the UK and New Zealand (for its population we get a decent number of posters from there).

What's the interest level in making this thread a sticky?

Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Of english speaking countries, we're missing the UK and New Zealand (for its population we get a decent number of posters from there).

What's the interest level in making this thread a sticky?
I think it'd be a good idea to keep this thread easy to access.

As for British weather records, I am lucky in that my the person who runs my local site (Phillip Eden, one of the most famous climatologists in the country) puts the archive (and a couple of others) up here: http://www.weather-uk.com/hampstead/data.htm . Most others are not so lucky.

The Met Office site has a fair amount of information here for averages/historical information (usually month-by-month), but the sites they use are fairly random - have a look at some of these places which it gives averages for and see how many are tiny villages you've probably never heard of and how many of the major cities are not on there! One good thing on the Met Office site is the rankings of the Central England Temperature (the average taken from three English weather stations: one in the south-east, one in the west, and one in the north) for every month since 1659, which shows how most of our 'cold' months these days wouldn't have been remotely cold to our 17th/18th-century ancestors There are similar rainfall/sunshine tables on there, but they don't go back so far.

For day-to-day weather archives then I use this site:
Clima en El Reino Unido - Datos históricos ... or this French site which I've yet to have a proper look at, but which has some British information on it:
Meteociel - Climatologie de aot 2012 pour toutes les villes

The most comprehensive, easiest-to-access weather archive sites seem to be the Canadian/Australian ones from my experience, though I do like the sheer amount of statistics on the American one (i.e. standard deviation, first/last frost dates, records for each date in the year etc) - wish we had that!

Last edited by ben86; 09-23-2012 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather