Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:24 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times

Advertisements

My mother is guilty of this, and she grew up in the 80's which were notoriously not snowy around here, especially when compared to today's trend of greater than average snowfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 11:27 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Snow has definitely decreased in frequency, but the way older people talk about winters of the 70s and 80s you'd think the UK had a bona fide continental climate or something.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:29 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
60's and 70's were the snowiest for us, but we are seeing a recent uptick in above average snowfall

Here is New York's

Old 01-12-2017, 03:09 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
I don't know about the US, but this is what it looks like in Sweden.

Quote:
Difference in the mean of winter's maximum snow depth. 1990/91 - 2013/14 compared to 1960/61 - 1989/90. Large dot - statistically significant change.
- SMHI
Coincidentally, I live in the city with the highest decrease in snow depth in all of Sweden :P
Also, note that because of a 1.5'C increase in winter mean temperature in the mentioned data periods, whereby an 1.1'C increase in the shoulder months (November-December + March-April), it means the snow period is shorter. So, not only has the maximum depth decreased a lot, the snowy season has also shortened by a lot. Snow cover days has probably decreased by at least 30% in most places.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Buck View Post
Well, you may be on to something, but, as a child, (aged 5 to 12) from what I and my friends and family who lived in the same region of the Pacific Northwest would say is that no, we do not get hte snowfall that we got when we where young. Now I am not saying that we used to have massive snowfall. But every year for at least two to three weeks we would have enough snow to be able to sled. Everyone in my neighborhood had a sled. I am not talking about those plastic pieces of crap either. I am talking about a twin railed sled with a wooden deck. Today, my kids and their friends don't know what that is. Never seen one nor rode one. Yet every winter we would have enough snow to justify sledding which amounted to between 6 to 12 inches of snow annually. And no, I have no reports to show the validity of my statement, but if there are records that date back 35 to 40+ years ago then you will have to just trust what I am saying to be true, or don't. I really don't care, my memories are mine and mine alone. But I do believe that winters around my area are not like they used to be when I was a child. Do I blame that in global warming? No, I think that the planet is cyclic and that it is just a change that is happening and will continue to happen. But I would like to see our winter return to what they where. Those where some great days, being outside sledding and getting into snowball wars with all the kids in the neighborhood. Not sitting in your room playing Xbox or PlayStation or whatever. We where outside for most of the day.
Unfortunately you're right, the Pacific Northwest doesn't get as much snow as it used to. These are season snow totals for Snoqualmie Pass, Washington (elev 3022ft 921m). The first 27 years, 1949-75 there were only 4 winters with less than 400 inches (1,016cm) of snowfall while the next 27 there were 19 winters with less than 400 inches.
I hope it's a cyclical thing, all I know for sure is it's 3 below zero (-19c) right now, too cold to get the sled out.
Attached Thumbnails
BIG Myth: My Area Doesn't Get Snow Like We Used To-snoqualmie.jpg   BIG Myth: My Area Doesn't Get Snow Like We Used To-snoqualmie1.jpg   BIG Myth: My Area Doesn't Get Snow Like We Used To-snoqualmie2.jpg  

Old 01-12-2017, 10:26 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Snow is infrequent here, so if it snows anytime in the next 20 years, then I'll be able to say that it snows a lot more than it used to.

Looking at the mountains now, there are only a few small patches around the 5000ft mark, whereas some years will still see quite extensive snow around that level.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:55 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I don't know about the US, but this is what it looks like in Sweden.

- SMHI
Coincidentally, I live in the city with the highest decrease in snow depth in all of Sweden :P
Also, note that because of a 1.5'C increase in winter mean temperature in the mentioned data periods, whereby an 1.1'C increase in the shoulder months (November-December + March-April), it means the snow period is shorter. So, not only has the maximum depth decreased a lot, the snowy season has also shortened by a lot. Snow cover days has probably decreased by at least 30% in most places.
In Norrbotten it has been snowing like it used to, for two days.
Have you had the same weather in Västerbotten?

Old 01-14-2017, 02:29 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
In Norrbotten it has been snowing like it used to, for two days.
Have you had the same weather in Västerbotten?
Yeah. In Umeå about 2dm fell two days ago and the night before. A bit inland where my GF lives it snowed about 4dm.

This car had it rough.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:26 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
OK, it seems everyone in their mother now notes that almost every city they live in across the lower 48 (and perhaps Alaska too), that, well, "my city / area(whether it be Milwaukee, Chicago, Salt Lake, Denver, Louisville, etc., etc., etc.)...doesn't get nearly the snowfall in the winter that it used to get." "Winters are so much more mild now that it just doesn't snow as much as it used to."

You hear this EVERYWHERE. About every seeming concievable area that snowfall occurs. On this forums all the time, but out in about all of the time too.

And my response: (Sorry for the candidness) - BULL.

I have yet...and I mean yet...once/ever...heard these claims backed up with any kind of statistic/fact, etc. I have not seen any credible facts ever that back up an area consistently (oh, say for the past 15 years) having a noticable fall off on snowfall averages or amounts in comparison to a similar chunk of time back.

My guess is that people always seem to remember extremes quite a bit more, and this is almost a form of the ol' "when I was your age, I used to walk 10 miles through 3 feet of snow up hill to school" syndrome. Also, I think snow removal equipment is better and more efficient now, making driving less of a headache (or noticable) in snowfall, and I think vehicles - which are used more than ever to travel even very small distances - are better than ever at navigating snow.

I just don't see any data/statistics/proof that it "snows less than it used to" in any area of this nation. I think it is just fuzzy memories at work.

Thus...if you disagree with me...and actually have stats/proof that your area snows less now "than it used to"...I would like you to post it here.

For example, if your area is, oh, say, Billings Montana, and you think "Billings just doesn't get the snow it used to", I would like to see snowfall totals per year from say 1950 until 2006 and see the noticable decline. Or something like that. I just don't think folks can produce it because I think - again - this just isn't true.

I know here in Milwaukee, an area that can sure get its snow, I hear it all of the time "we just don't get snow like we used to." Funny, as the city averages about 45-50 inches of snow, and just this past winter, it snowed over 60 inches! All everyone can remember here is a few relatively mild weeks that happened in late December, but they forget about the 10 inches that fell in early December, and the 8 inches that fell around Easter in mid-April!!! They also forget the winter of 2000 (that I surely don't forget) where a whopping 45 inches of snow fell - just in December - for the snowiest December in the history of Milwaukee. Fuzzy memories.

So folks, for those of you whose area "just doesn't get the same amount of snow anymore"...let's see some stats.
I hear what you're saying, and agree for the most part. Statistically speaking, Vancouver gets more snow than it used to, and yet, everyone says they remember show lasting for weeks or even a month at a time. People's memories are faulty. Every year my mom tells me she has never seen a month as wet or cold or drier snowy or hot as she just had (and she's been at the same spot for 50 years). There's no question that some things have changed, but when we look at the stats of claims of -30 for two months (like my mom claimed used to happen), it never happened when I look up the stats.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:16 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,932 times
Snowfall is actually increasing here.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1484435572

1931-1960 averaged 76.7"
1961-1990 averaged 93.4"
1991-2016 averaged 101.4"
Attached Thumbnails
BIG Myth: My Area Doesn't Get Snow Like We Used To-img_4119.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather