Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Because most of the population of the UK live in London & the south east. The south east in general has similar summer averages to London, so not really an outlier in terms of population...

In an average summer London & the south east will hit at least 30C, even in poor summers. London actually hit 32C this past summer & 33C last year...

4 miles out is away from the true urban heat Island of central London. In the very centre of London the average absolute minimum is around -2C & some years it doesn't even drop below 0C.
Yes I know that alot of times it would snow here and settle for over a day, while in central London it would be gone. While walking through Cnetral London it does always feel warmer than where I live. But I really live close to the centre of London. From where I live on a REALLY quiet night I can here big ben!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Because most of the population of the UK live in London & the south east. The south east in general has similar summer averages to London, so not really an outlier in terms of population...
Most of the population live outside London and the SE - they constitute a very large proportion of the population, but there's an entire country outside that region, this is where everyone else lives, and our weather is very different to there.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Most of the population live outside London and the SE - they constitute a very large proportion of the population, but there's an entire country outside that region, this is where everyone else lives, and our weather is very different to there.
Very might be going to far.

I'll say places from hull southwest to the mouth of the severn, including places like Nottingham, Northampton, Birmingham, Oxford and eastwards to London and Ashford the climate is similar.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM

Hull is virtually identical to Leeds..

Anyway, we're colder in winter, snow is much more long-lasting (-3C as an absolute low in central London in 2009/2010?! Jeez) when it occurs, it could be snowing here but mild and sunny down there, and we do occasionally miss out on the heatwaves that places in the SE get. Our weather can be very, very different.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 AM

Exclude the centre of London

The terrain and the climate is similar.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Maybe I should have said that on many days, the weather here is completely different - it could be hot and sunny there, but only warm and cloudy here, it could be snowing here, but mild and sunny down there - you get the picture.

Warm summers are also much more reliable further south. Ask the people of Skipton, Blackpool or Newcastle if the weather in London is representative of their locales. Absolutely not.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
How frequent does southern Scandinavia get hit by heatwaves. In Southern England temperatures on most years will hit 27C This year London hit 30C which generally occurs every year. Also Indian summers can hit the UK just last year we basically had a heatwave at the start of october. I don't think it was the whole country but I think it shows that the Uk is more exposed to heat.
But of course our sunshine levels will be lower due to the nearby Atlantic ocean.
I assume 27C is your definition of a heatwave? Every year. Southeastern Finland, Southeasten Sweden and the Stockholm area and the Oslofjord area are quite prone to heat, or in this areas you'll probably find the yearly highest temperatures and averages. The Norwegian and Swedish stats are pretty crappy, and usually still from 1961-1990, and we use the 25C mark, so it's difficult to give exact information.

And it's a big area, and summers are very different from year to year. This summer was crappy, not a single location recorded 30C, the summers of 2010 and 2011 were very warm. But periods with at least 5 days in a row with over 25C occur almost every summer. 14 days in a row once every 10 years.
The summers (Jun-Aug) of 2007 and 2009 were the most normal, and the first one had 7 days with >27C, the latter 8. This year: one day.

Sorry, I really can't give a good answer to your question. But yes, the period of the year when these temperature even are possible, is of course much longer in the UK.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Maybe I should have said that on many days, the weather here is completely different - it could be hot and sunny there, but only warm and cloudy here, it could be snowing here, but mild and sunny down there - you get the picture.

Warm summers are also much more reliable further south. Ask the people of Skipton, Blackpool or Newcastle if the weather in London is representative of their locales. Absolutely not.
I never mentioned anywhere north of Hull, anyway I know how the climate differs from region to region i'm fully aware of that. Btw there are many occasions where a weather front can stall over east anglia and the southeast and the rest of the country is dry and mild.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM

Well, I mentioned the rest of the country, and not an arbitrary made up area.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Leeds looks noticeably cooler than York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather