Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,378,757 times

Advertisements

Yes I know it must of looked great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I sincerely doubt that anywhere in Scandinavia is warmer than London in the summer.

London really is quite warm in the summer, no doubt about it.
Maybe, I don't know. A couple of locations in southern Sweden may reach the 23.2C mean max in July as in Greenwich. The warmest avg high in Finland (22.9C) is in the city of Kouvola. Build a city with ten million inhabitants around the weather station, It will probably reach Greenwich's 23.2C.

But lets stop about London, I never said a word about it. I realise why you keep to mention it, it's the only card you can play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
South of England is warmer than Scandinavia.

I would go as far to say that Scotland and Northern Ireland are just a tad cooler.
No, it isn't, except for London.

Helsinki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Turku - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tampere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those are the averages for the three largest urban areas in Finland. The stats are 100% correct, they aren't the warmest places in summer, and the sations are in rural locations except for the first Helsinki.
Oslo and Stockholm are 95% similar but I didn't post them as I can't guarantee their 100% accuracy.
Copenhagen, the southernmost capital, is in fact the chilliest in summer, but of course the warmest overall.
I find the summer averages pretty comparable, even warmer, than a large part of England.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 AM

those records are low SE England can beat that. Further north records are similar though.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Kew Gardens in London has average maximums of 21.0, 23.5, 23.2, 20.0 in June, July, August and September respectively.

Outside of London, Wisley in Surrey averages 20.6, 23.0, 22.7, 19.5 for the same months.

Cambridge, north of London, averages 19.9, 22.8, 22.6, 19.3.

Charlwood averages 20.5, 22.9, 22.6, 19.2

Gillingham averages 20.7, 23.3, 22.7, 20.0

Similar averages are widespread across south east England and the East Anglia region, so this area is definitely warmer than those places in Finland, especially since the warmth lasts for longer (Turku and Tampere average above 22C in one month, and Tukru only averages above 20C in one other month).

Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
those records are low SE England can beat that. Further north records are similar though.
I'm talking about monthly averages and summer conditions, not about one particular day in 1914 or 2003. It's really not a good ground for debating if we talk about rare records.

You Englishmen sure take your climate seriously. I said one humorous quote about the English weather, and you guys immediately respond with a broadside last seen in the Battle of Trafalgar. But yes, I agree that many English stations have quite impressive record highs during the summer months.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Personally I couldn't care less which is warmer, I would rather our climate be like Turku than the current maritime dross we have at present, but it's good to make fair comparisons with accurate and up-to-date data.

I thought the quote was funny btw - I see nobody took offence to my comment with the pictures showing the different shades of cloud we have in each season, which is entirely accurate anyway.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM

270 posts, read 703,405 times
By year, the typical weather in Miami, FL: hot.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm talking about monthly averages and summer conditions, not about one particular day in 1914 or 2003. It's really not a good ground for debating if we talk about rare records.

You Englishmen sure take your climate seriously. I said one humorous quote about the English weather, and you guys immediately respond with a broadside last seen in the Battle of Trafalgar. But yes, I agree that many English stations have quite impressive record highs during the summer months.
Records give a indication on how high in a average year temps get, so records are worth while.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,729,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes that's true but for someone that experiences milder winters our coldwaes would be brutal to them, maybe someone from the carolinas or Southern france. And yes the coldwaves AND mildspells do count. Averages are not everything
I'm not sure about it. The average yearly low is a bit lower in, say, at Toulouse-Blagnac airport than at Heathrow airport. I randomly chose Toulouse because it's centrally located in the flatlands of SW France (SE France has too many mountains and mild coastal fringes to my liking ).

Last February in Toulouse:
History | Weather Underground

January 2010 in Raleigh:
History | Weather Underground

As you can see, 11 straight days below freezing in Toulouse with downright cold weather on the 8th and 9th and 14 lows below -5°C in Raleigh. So lots of chilly weather in both locations.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 PM

559 posts, read 748,017 times
January - Cold and snowy or sunny, temperatures normally 30s or 40s. Can be colder or warmer (like 2012 was).

February - Pretty much the same except slightly warmer, you'll probably see more 40 degree days than 30. Also the chances of 50+ increases slightly, but not by much.

March - Very unpredictable. There could be 30s and snow one week and 70s and sunny the next. Like March 2003 was cold and only had 5 50+ days total, but then March 2012 was the hottest ever and there was almost 2 consecutive weeks of above 70 degrees! However the weather's heading in the right direction by this point.

April - Now is when it really starts to feel like spring. It can still snow, but only in the beginning of the month and it's pretty rare. Most days it's in the 60s at this point, still some cool days but not too bad. There's also the occasional "hot" day, but it's not humid yet so it doesn't feel that bad. And despite the "April showers" phrase, it's actually not that rainy in April here.

May - Great weather. Temperatures in the 60s and 70s, sometimes 80s, but like April it's still not that humid yet so it's not that bad. Normally it's pretty dry too. Oh yeah and the days are really long now so I can actually spend a long time outside.

June - Still good but it starts to get a little hot and humid. Days are as long as they can be so I can spend plenty of time outside. Temps in the 70s and 80s, the occasional 90+ day is there too. However it starts to rain a little more and thunderstorms are quite frequent.

July - The heat is on. 80s and 90s throughout the month, a little too hot for me. If you're lucky you might get the occasional cool day, but that cool day is usually rainy so I can't go out and enjoy it anyway. And to make the hot temperatures worse, it gets really humid by July, so it feels even hotter. Well at least I live in a somewhat rural area so nights aren't as hot as they are in the city. Thunderstorms are common as well, and I enjoy when they arrive because it means a nice cool-off is coming.

August - Almost an exact copy of July but VERY SLIGHTLY cooler. It's barely noticeable though. However, I have noticed that there seems to be a lot less 90 degree days in August than in July. The days are unfortunately getting shorter too.

September - It starts to cool down a little bit now. It's pretty pleasant actually in the second half of the month. First half can still be quite hot though. Thunderstorms aren't as common as they were in June and July, usually it's just plain rain now. Also the nights start to get cool fast. Temps mainly in the 70s, some 60s and 80s thrown in as well. 90 degree days are rare at this point but are still possible.

October - Very nice for the most part. Hot weather is pretty much out of the question now but can still VERY RARELY happen. Usually however it's in the 50s and 60s with some 70+ days. The first frost is usually in October, and snow is possible now, and it could be heavy (Like last year's Snowtober). And of course you could have a hurricane/superstorm (Sandy ).

November - It starts to get a little chilly now, but overall not that bad. Generally 50s, some 60+ and below 40 days. Days are short now though so I can't spend much time outside even when it is warm. Snow is possible but it's usually rain in November, although not much of it falls in the month.

December - Winter starts and it's cold again. Mainly 30s and 40s with some 50+ days. Starts to get snowy too, although again, last year it didn't snow at all in December. Days are very short, it doesn't get light out till around 7 AM and it gets dark at 4:30, and that's even less when it's cloudy! (And it's cloudy quite often).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather