Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 02:26 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times

Advertisements

When I think of subtropical I think of place with 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall) and winter will show it's face every once in a while for short periods. So places such as New York can't be subtropical in my mind is because winter is a major season, more so than where I am (seattle). Also any place with a warmer winter than Seattle is subtropical and any place that has a colder winter than seattle is not. Furthermore subtropical to me is a generic term for me that includes humid subtropical and mediterranean climates as well as other precipitation patterns. Also would it be safe to assume that Seattle in 2015 is experiencing a subtropical/mediterranean climate. And I agree that there needs to be another category to describe cities such as New York who have tropical summers but still have a strong winter season, however short it may seem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 03:00 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
When I think of subtropical I think of place with 3 seasons (spring, summer, fall) and winter will show it's face every once in a while for short periods. So places such as New York can't be subtropical in my mind is because winter is a major season, more so than where I am (seattle). Also any place with a warmer winter than Seattle is subtropical and any place that has a colder winter than seattle is not. Furthermore subtropical to me is a generic term for me that includes humid subtropical and mediterranean climates as well as other precipitation patterns. Also would it be safe to assume that Seattle in 2015 is experiencing a subtropical/mediterranean climate. And I agree that there needs to be another category to describe cities such as New York who have tropical summers but still have a strong winter season, however short it may seem.

Don't confuse the terms weather and climate.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
Don't confuse the terms weather and climate.
yes thats what I meant, sorry about that.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Also would it be safe to assume that Seattle in 2015 is experiencing a subtropical/mediterranean climate.
Seattle qualifies as a Mediterranean climate, even in more typical years.

Quote:
And I agree that there needs to be another category to describe cities such as New York who have tropical summers but still have a strong winter season, however short it may seem.
Cfa fits that description.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,849,221 times
Quote:
This is accurate. The way I see it (in terms of eastern US):

South Florida: This climate is warm to hot year round. Cold snaps are rare. This area is tropical.

Central Florida: This climate is much more vulnerable to cold snaps than south Florida. Tropical vegetation (such as coconuts) can only be grown with human intervention. This area is semi-tropical.

US Coastal South and North Florida: The region with the heaviest climate debate on city-data. Tropical vegetation cannot grow here, even with human intervention (sorry Yn0hTnA). Only hardier subtropical vegetation, such as cabbage palms and southern live oak can grow here due to the numerous freezes the region can see over the cooler season. In addition, deciduous vegetation, such as American Sweetgum and Bradford Pear trees thrive here, giving it genuine autumns and springs. This area is subtropical.

Inland South (N Alabama, N Georgia, Central N and S Carolina): Has a 50% or greater chance of seeing a winter storm over the course of a year, giving this area genuine winters. Even subtropical vegetation has trouble growing here and can only do so with human intervention. This area is warm temperate.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 PM

680 posts, read 649,475 times
The problem with most people on the planet is that they confuse what "warm weather" is with "hot weather". I also would use the term "temperate" sparingly with warmer climates... and very sparingly at that. I guess warm and hot are relative terms for different people in different places.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
The western part of the continent is more complicated due to much more varying topography but IMO subtropical which out here corresponds to a mediterranean climate starts roughly south of the CA/OR border on the coast and low elevation inland valleys. North of this up to approximately to Vancouver, BC on and near the coast I'd classify as warm temperate. North of Vancouver on the coast to approximately Sitka, AK is cold temperate IMO.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
This is accurate. The way I see it (in terms of eastern US):

South Florida: This climate is warm to hot year round. Cold snaps are rare. This area is tropical.

Central Florida: This climate is much more vulnerable to cold snaps than south Florida. Tropical vegetation (such as coconuts) can only be grown with human intervention. This area is semi-tropical.

US Coastal South and North Florida: The region with the heaviest climate debate on city-data. Tropical vegetation cannot grow here, even with human intervention (sorry Yn0hTnA). Only hardier subtropical vegetation, such as cabbage palms and southern live oak can grow here due to the numerous freezes the region can see over the cooler season. In addition, deciduous vegetation, such as American Sweetgum and Bradford Pear trees thrive here, giving it genuine autumns and springs. This area is subtropical.

Inland South (N Alabama, N Georgia, Central N and S Carolina): Has a 50% or greater chance of seeing a winter storm over the course of a year, giving this area genuine winters. Even subtropical vegetation has trouble growing here and can only do so with human intervention. This area is warm temperate.
Dead on. Right along the coast starting just south of Cape Hatteras NC on the barrier islands like Ocracoke, NC down is where imo subtropical begins. This is south of the Labrador current. You can grow some hardier palms without them browning out starting around there. In NC subtropical is limited to basically right on the coast in central and southern NC. In SC the subtropical band starts to slowly widen. By Charleston, it's maybe 30-50 miles wide. This slowly widens until you get down to N. florida, where the subtropical band more or less covers the whole state. Much of the gulf coast within about 50 miles of the gulf could be considered subtropical as well, probably more in Louisiana and Texas. New Orleans is pretty far from the gulf and I saw the streets lined with date palms, fruit trees, mostly evergreens in the winter etc.

I didn't consider places like my old hometown Raleigh subtropical because it snowed and iced most winters and saw temps both years I was there in the upper single digits. A few people grew windmill palms, and a lot of them looked nearly dead after some bad winters. Other places like Augusta, GA and Jackson, MS might qualify as borderline subtropical but due to averages but huge temperature swings from being so far inland with no mountain protection make it hard to call them true subtropical climates.

Now live in CA and am happy to say the temperatures are much more consistent.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
In SC the subtropical band starts to slowly widen. By Charleston, it's maybe 30-50 miles wide.
What do you think about Columbia? Sabal palms grow well there.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 AM

2,949 posts, read 2,918,883 times
Quote:
This. 100%. I call it a "pseudo-winter", just like how it is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather