Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times

Advertisements

Which of these towns located in the Arctic would you choose if you had to?

Qikiqtarjuaq, Nunavut

Qikiqtarjuaq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Resolute, Nunavut

Resolute, Nunavut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inuvik, NT

Inuvik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barrow, AK

Barrow, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wrangel Island, Russia (not a town I know...)

Wrangel Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norilsk, Russia

Norilsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Murmansk, Russia

Murmansk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rovianiemi, Finland

Rovaniemi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tromsø, Norway

Tromsø - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Røst, Norway

Røst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Longyearbyen, Svalbard

Longyearbyen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I choose Røst for having the only place which averages winters above freezing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,396,939 times
I also choose Rost. Other climates are way too cold.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,776 times
Rovaniemi. It has nice, warm comfortable summers (I think the warmest on the list), but winters are colder than I would want, even summers are cooler than I want, so I would still never live there.

Last edited by cloudcrash619; 01-20-2013 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-20-2013, 02:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Sorry to be picky, but most of those locations aren't even near arctic (ET/EF). It's like saying "Tropical climate battle" and most of the locations would be subtropical, like DC! Well, let's not go there...

Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,556,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Sorry to be picky, but most of those locations aren't even near arctic (ET/EF). It's like saying "Tropical climate battle" and most of the locations would be subtropical, like DC! Well, let's not go there...
DC is temperate.

Anyway, I choose Rovaniemi. Murmansk is second choice. All the rest are horrible.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
DC is temperate.

Anyway, I choose Rovaniemi. Murmansk is second choice. All the rest are horrible.
Well, Köppen said it's subtropical. If we have battles going on for years what locations are subtropical and which are not, going to ridiculous palm debates, how can you just say anything is arctic, when there is as much variance between subarctic and arctic than there's between subtropical and tropical.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I realize some of those locations are not true arctic climates. I was choosing places which are geographically north of the arctic circle. Rovianemi is very close to the boundary I know. Not all places physically in the arctic have arctic climates just like not all places in the tropics have a tropical climate... Lima, Peru and Rost, Norway are good examples of this.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,728,985 times
Rovaniemi. It has something vaguely approaching a summer, which can't be said for most of these climates (imho).
Qikiqtarjuaq is a disgrace, like pretty much all of Nunavut. I mean, almost half a metre of snow in a normal summer? As if there wasn't enough of the white stuff in winter, spring and autumn...

Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,712,996 times
Well, I guess I would go with Murmansk. Misery loves company and there's more people there than any other. Lots of people to drink vodka with and forget where the **** I'm at.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 PM

66 posts, read 109,859 times
Yeah, Rovaniemi looks the best one, though it is subarctic. If it was 5°C warmer year round, it would not be half bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather