Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Canada would be more habitable overall if it was tropical?
Yes 19 55.88%
No 11 32.35%
Not Sure 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,788,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It certainly would be less habitable for me if it was tropical . But more seriously, I think 30 million people* is proof that it's already habitable enough as it is. Vast wildernesses to go with the populated areas makes it a better country in my view. Overpopulation and overcrowding brings its own set of problems that detract from "habitability". I opt for a lower population density myself .

*Yes, the vast majority live in the southern section, but people do inhabit every region.

I can't see "Tropical Canada" as having much more of a population then what Canada is now, for all of the reasons Ariete pointed out. After all Australia in similar circumstances certainly isn't overpopulated. So overpopulation problems probably wouldn't be detracting from habitability. Another thing to consider is Western Canada having large mountains down the whole length. This means a lot of the cooler highland areas would be settled for those escaping the heat. After all look at Quito and Lima.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
I think it would be. Maybe as much population density as in the US.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Interesting points. Brazil which is a mostly tropical country has a large population and a fast growing economy today. It's not as wealthy as North America but it's not Africa either. So, I don't know if I entirely agree with your premise Ariete. In addition, Australia is a first world country and is about half tropical and most of the rest is subtropical.

Keep in mind that Australia has only 20M people on such a huge landmass. It may be first world, but it is not a major player with such a small population. The vast majority of the population lives in a few major metropolitan population centers. I'm not sure if the climate is what is keeping the Australian population low or the sheer distance from the rest of the populated world.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:48 AM

775 posts, read 1,170,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

The Canadian continent would have been discovered by Europeans in the 1520's, probably by Ferdinand Magellan. As the distance from Europe would be enormous and the continent hard to reach, it could have been largely 'forgotten' until the early 19th century.
Magellan "discovered" the Philippines on behalf of Spain in 1521, where they established and maintained a colony for over 300 years, at more than twice the distance that Canada would be from what deneb78 is proposing - in fact, it's on the other side of the world from Europe. The Portuguese achieved the same with their colony in Macau. And later, the British with Singapore Manila, Macau and Singapore were hardly "forgotten" or uninhabited places!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

The indigenous cultures would not have been very developed, as history shows that it's very difficult to manage a sustainable advanced culture in the tropics.
Some counterexamples:

- The Aztecs
-The Mayans
-The Incas
-The various empires of South-East Asia (Sri Vijaya, Bali, etc....)
-The Indus Valley Civilization (their territory extended to the tropical coast of India/Pakistan)
-India itself, which is partly tropical, was one of the most advanced civilisations prior to the arrival of the British.
-The Mesopotamian empire, especially Sumer which was centered on southern Iraq near present-day Basra. This area is almost tropical today but would have been even warmer (and wetter) during the Sumerian era.

So while I agree with you that tropical climates were challenging for Europeans to cultivate, indigenous peoples managed quite well.

So maybe we should be asking, "habitable" for whom?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
Some counterexamples:

- The Aztecs
-The Mayans
-The Incas
-The various empires of South-East Asia (Sri Vijaya, Bali, etc....)
-The Indus Valley Civilization (their territory extended to the tropical coast of India/Pakistan)
-India itself, which is partly tropical, was one of the most advanced civilisations prior to the arrival of the British.
-The Mesopotamian empire, especially Sumer which was centered on southern Iraq near present-day Basra. This area is almost tropical today but would have been even warmer (and wetter) during the Sumerian era.
It is true that the tropics have been home to thriving and sometimes advanced civilizations, but none of those were in tropical rainforest climates. The Maya are the only advanced jungle civilization that I'm aware of, and it should be pointed out that the Aztecs and Inca are marginal cases, since they were more centered around subtropical highlands than jungles. Otherwise, I agree.

Quote:
So while I agree with you that tropical climates were challenging for Europeans to cultivate, indigenous peoples managed quite well.

So maybe we should be asking, "habitable" for whom?
For whom? At the risk of sounding racist, I think we're talking about a predominately white population (like most cities in present-day Canada), as opposed to a mostly indigenous population.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Well at that longtitude it would probably be a totally different country. More populated with pacific people.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I think it would be. Maybe as much population density as in the US.
Europeans would not travel to 178e thats half way round the world.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,564,065 times
OP: Yes.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
I say no for the same reasons Ariete outlined. The people that voted yes are looking at this through a 21st century lens, not a historical one which is extremely important. No one is making a beeline towards Australia, for example. Most of the people moving there are already from tropical or subtropical climates, as well.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
People seem to be disregarding Brazil as an example of a mostly tropical country which is doing well today and in the 19th and early 20th century had many millions of immigrants arrive there and this was well before the invention of air conditioning so it's not in a 21st century context.

Immigration to Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather