Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more pleasant?
Summer in San Diego 15 38.46%
Winter in Miami 24 61.54%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,214,684 times

Advertisements

Which is more pleasant? I choose San Diego because lack of cold snaps.

Both are dry and sunny. San Diego's characterized as having 80F summer days, with a light sea breeze, and nighttime temps around 66F. Miami's characterized as having 77F winter days, with nights at around 60F, and a light sea breeze, but Miami also does get days of chilly, cool weather thrown in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,509,349 times
Miami because there can be winter cold snaps.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Prefer San Diego summers because they are dry

Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,270,098 times
id say summer in San Diego because its dry and sunny but both are fine really.
average lows in Miami during winter are colder than average lows in San Diego during summer

Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
San Diego summer for sure... no cold snaps in a San Diego summer!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Which is more pleasant? I choose San Diego because lack of cold snaps.

Both are dry and sunny. San Diego's characterized as having 80F summer days, with a light sea breeze, and nighttime temps around 66F. Miami's characterized as having 77F winter days, with nights at around 60F, and a light sea breeze, but Miami also does get days of chilly, cool weather thrown in.

I know you’re a big fan of Hawaii and San Diego….and no matter what the poll you’ll always vote for them, and that’s cool, I suppose we all have a favorite climate. However, you seem hooked on this illusion of Miami getting “chilly, cool” weather or “cold snaps” in winter. Have you ever lived in Miami for a few winters?

The reality is that Miami might see one or two nights a year, that fall below 50 F….for a few hrs. In terms of daytime highs, of the 4 month winter (D/J/F/M) maybe 2 to 4 days will fail to reach 70 F. This past winter 2 days failed to reach 70 F…..the other 118 days of winter had highs of 70 F or higher.

You can’t compare a mid latide climate like San Diego to tropical climate like Miami….just look at this past first month of summer in San Diego (June)….and past first month of winter (December) in Miami: Of the 31 days this past June in San Diego 16 failed to reach 70 F or higher. Of the 31 days this past December in Miami, only one failed to reach 70 F or higher. Also, while San Diego had 3 nights below 60 F and Miami had 8 nights below 60 F…the ave low was still warmer in Miami:

San Diego has a great summer, but it's still a mid latitude climate (500 miles north of Miami), with cooler air masses often in early/late summer, cold ocean waters, and mean or average cool summer (by tropical comparsions) nights.

I would vote for San Diego if only for that the sun angle in SD is higher in summer than the sun angle in Miami in winter. However a factor working against San Diego is that the ocean is still freezing cold even in summer. Miami SST are warmer in winter than San Diego is even in summer.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM

I was just in San Diego's ocean. It is warmer than average for this year-66F already. Last year also warmer ocean than normal. Yes, cooler than Miami but far from "freezing" all year-round. Every summer seems to get 73F water temps, the same as Miami's winter.

And no, I vote for Miami's weather against most places-in general, I do vote for Miami's weather over San Diego's. And last June, actually, every day except maybe one or two was 70F or above-I live here, I checked the weather during that time everyday, it was warm. Your data is false-unless it got it from some coastal city like Carlsbad.

As for cold snaps, Miami gets below 50F in winter just about every year. San Diego is warmer than this in summer-it never goes below 65F in summer nights, generally, and never under 60F. SO yes, San Diego has warmer summer weather than Miami winter weather.

As for the other posts saying "San Diego because it's dry", Miami's dry season is winter, it's not humid there during the winter time.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,109,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I know you’re a big fan of Hawaii and San Diego….and no matter what the poll you’ll always vote for them, and that’s cool, I suppose we all have a favorite climate. However, you seem hooked on this illusion of Miami getting “chilly, cool” weather or “cold snaps” in winter. Have you ever lived in Miami for a few winters?

The reality is that Miami might see one or two nights a year, that fall below 50 F….for a few hrs. In terms of daytime highs, of the 4 month winter (D/J/F/M) maybe 2 to 4 days will fail to reach 70 F. This past winter 2 days failed to reach 70 F…..the other 118 days of winter had highs of 70 F or higher.

You can’t compare a mid latide climate like San Diego to tropical climate like Miami….just look at this past first month of summer in San Diego (June)….and past first month of winter (December) in Miami: Of the 31 days this past June in San Diego 16 failed to reach 70 F or higher. Of the 31 days this past December in Miami, only one failed to reach 70 F or higher. Also, while San Diego had 3 nights below 60 F and Miami had 8 nights below 60 F…the ave low was still warmer in Miami:

San Diego has a great summer, but it's still a mid latitude climate (500 miles north of Miami), with cooler air masses often in early/late summer, cold ocean waters, and mean or average cool summer (by tropical comparsions) nights.

I would vote for San Diego if only for that the sun angle in SD is higher in summer than the sun angle in Miami in winter. However a factor working against San Diego is that the ocean is still freezing cold even in summer. Miami SST are warmer in winter than San Diego is even in summer.
Quote:
I was just in San Diego's ocean. It is warmer than average for this year-66F already. Last year also warmer ocean than normal. Yes, cooler than Miami but far from "freezing" all year-round. Every summer seems to get 73F water temps, the same as Miami's winter.

And no, I vote for Miami's weather against most places-in general, I do vote for Miami's weather over San Diego's. And last June, actually, every day except maybe one or two was 70F or above-I live here, I checked the weather during that time everyday, it was warm. Your data is false-unless it got it from some coastal city like Carlsbad.

As for cold snaps, Miami gets below 50F in winter just about every year. San Diego is warmer than this in summer-it never goes below 65F in summer nights, generally, and never under 60F. SO yes, San Diego has warmer summer weather than Miami winter weather.

As for the other posts saying "San Diego because it's dry", Miami's dry season is winter, it's not humid there during the winter time.
You both under estimate Miami's cold snaps. this winter was the warmest in more than a decade and still recording a low of 45f. in the 117 year history of Miami never has the city failed to record temps below 50 at least twice. During a typical winter the temperature will fall to 40f once or twice a year.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM

Hurricane, you're right. I know about the cold snaps and this past winter being warmer than normal, but I didn't bring up more severe cold snaps (1977 and 2010) in Miami because I thought I'd be attacked for overestimating the cold snaps.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,109,947 times
Quote:
Hurricane, you're right. I know about the cold snaps and this past winter being warmer than normal, but I didn't bring up more severe cold snaps (1977 and 2010) in Miami because I thought I'd be attacked for overestimating the cold snaps.
It's okay but sometimes it's good to sick your neck out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather