Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you hate summer?
Yes 38 38.78%
No 60 61.22%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM

753 posts, read 840,833 times

Advertisements

Not at all, summers here in Western Canada are generally very nice and are fairly short lasting, so I enjoy them quite a bit and try to make the most of them while they last. Now, if I lived in Texas or Arizona or Florida I might hate summer. But not out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,757,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Better than miserable cold SIX months. At least night can be bearable.
I disagree. The heat means pretty much any fun outdoor activities are a no-go unless you have a pool. There's only so much clothing you can remove to get cool and if you don't have AC in your car, or worse, in your house, there's just no escaping it. No relief.

When it is cold there are usually ways to warm up unless you are forced to be outside for some reason.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,217,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
Not at all, summers here in Western Canada are generally very nice and are fairly short lasting, so I enjoy them quite a bit and try to make the most of them while they last. Now, if I lived in Texas or Arizona or Florida I might hate summer. But not out here.
Were you in Saskatchewan when many locations here hit 48 to 50C (temperature and dew point) a couple of years ago? In my city we've had a number of hot humid summers (not as long lasting as Texas of course). But without A/C they were unbearable...even had one Texan (that comes up here to escape Texas heat) say to me he wished that summer he had stayed down in Texas.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:25 PM

61,996 posts, read 87,653,804 times
Do I hate Summer? Generally not, but I do hate South Texas Summers!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,261,249 times
I hate summers when they're endlessly hot and humid. I've been working in the heat and humidity all summer and on top of that my car's A/C broke, so this is one of the most miserable summers I've experienced. Funny how my financial well-being is presently relied on by weather I loathe.

I can tolerate an average summer with moderate humidity. I would love summer if average highs were around 70 F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Better than miserable cold SIX months. At least night can be bearable.
Bearable to sit outside, but the inside of a house will never cool off with such warm overnight temperatures.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,235,682 times
It is my favorite season. I do like some aspects of both east coast and west coast summers. Out here I like that it is never too hot-well, maybe for a few weeks in early September. It is usually 82F with a breeze, sunny and dry, with cool nights of 65F that make for good sleeping weather, and sometimes fog that gives the air even more of a chill. But I love the thunderstorms out east, and some of the humidity that keeps everything green. It is often too hot out there, but it makes for great beach and pool weather. I do like that the nightd often stay in the 70sF and 80sF range because if I am hanging out with my friends at an outdoor concert or something, it is nice to not have to worry about having a sweater, especially if there is a breeze.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,343,048 times
I use to adore summer! When I was in high school and college I loved it. I would bask in the hot weather go swimming in the local lakes and cool off. I live in the South East USA where it is very hot and humid! Once I graduated and started working in real world and got older summer lost it's luster. In fact I do dislike it now and count down the days until Fall!! I love Fall and winter. I love all winter sports so I am partial to it. I love the Winter Holidays starting with Halloween in the Fall. Once I got 30 it's like I could not stand the heat anymore my body rejects it!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,757,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Bearable to sit outside, but the inside of a house will never cool off with such warm overnight temperatures.
Our van AC is not working either. Well, it is working some of the time, I am guessing it needs refrigerant because it will be cool for 20 minutes or so then start to blow hot. Next trip, same thing. We are moving in a couple weeks and using the van for a lot of that move. Ugh! Dread that. We always seem to move in summer, because that's when we have the most free time but man, it is awful to do so in this heat! I just want to leave everything behind and get more stuff later when it is cool.

You reminded me though about sitting outside -- even if it is nicer at night, at least here in Texas, sitting outside at night means dodging the huge flying cockroaches that divebomb from the trees! No thanks, I'd rather sweat inside!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,261,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Our van AC is not working either. Well, it is working some of the time, I am guessing it needs refrigerant because it will be cool for 20 minutes or so then start to blow hot. Next trip, same thing. We are moving in a couple weeks and using the van for a lot of that move. Ugh! Dread that. We always seem to move in summer, because that's when we have the most free time but man, it is awful to do so in this heat! I just want to leave everything behind and get more stuff later when it is cool.

You reminded me though about sitting outside -- even if it is nicer at night, at least here in Texas, sitting outside at night means dodging the huge flying cockroaches that divebomb from the trees! No thanks, I'd rather sweat inside!
That's true. Here the mosquitoes can be an issue if there's no breeze and or if it's been wet.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,642,171 times
Even a bad summer is better than the cold of half the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather