Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 02:24 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
But what about all those impressive winter nights they get that are 5C milder than everywhere else in the country when they have the heating on inside?

No idea tbh, tried a quick Google search and didn't find anything.

Must have been an oversight. As far as I am aware the Met Office didn't count it as official, or stopped counting it as official at some point.
Stick a weather station on a roof in any city centre, and the temperatures are going to be greatly inflated. Even somewhere small, but densely built like York city centre would show relatively impressive lows in comparison to Linton on Ouse for example.

Yes I couldn't find the Leeds one. Perhaps dunno knows where it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 02:30 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Stick a weather station on a roof in any city centre, and the temperatures are going to be greatly inflated. Even somewhere small, but densely built like York city centre would show relatively impressive lows in comparison to Linton on Ouse for example.

Yes I couldn't find the Leeds one. Perhaps dunno knows where it was.
Leeds Weather Centre was based near Park Lane College, but I don't know if it was on a roof or not. It was regularly quoted on national BBC weather forecasts so I can't imagine so . It was never significantly warmer than other stations like Church Fenton anyway. Even at night it was only 1C warmer on average which is probably what you'd expect between an urban and rural location.

Paul Hudson was based at Leeds Weather Centre. It was definitely an official Met Office station so presumably met the required standards.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
I don't understand how a weather station located 60 m above ground is even used for data, let alone "oversighted" by a meteorological office. How stupid.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Leeds Weather Centre was based near Park Lane College, but I don't know if it was on a roof or not. It was regularly quoted on national BBC weather forecasts so I can't imagine so. It was never significantly warmer than other stations like Church Fenton anyway. Even at night it was only 1C warmer on average which is probably what you'd expect between an urban and rural location.
Yes, sounds like the Leeds site is pretty legitimate then. You'd certainly expect a built up city like Leeds to be a degree or two warmer than a rural location such as Church Fenton.

As for Church Fenton, great news today regarding the airport. International flights next year, albeit only four a day, but certainly promising for the future. I might still have a future in aviation in York when Linton closes down!
Losing Linton met office site would be a kick in the balls though. I don't know what I'd use then tbh. Leconfield perhaps? Not sure.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, sounds like the Leeds site is pretty legitimate then. You'd certainly expect a built up city like Leeds to be a degree or two warmer than a rural location such as Church Fenton.

As for Church Fenton, great news today regarding the airport. International flights next year, albeit only four a day, but certainly promising for the future. I might still have a future in aviation in York when Linton closes down!
Losing Linton met office site would be a kick in the balls though. I don't know what I'd use then tbh. Leconfield perhaps? Not sure.
Yeah, I heard! I was skeptical at first but I sincerely hope them the best - would be great to have another airport serving the region. They had an air show there last year - the Vulcan bomber made an appearance. Beautiful plane, but it won't fly ever again.

Not sure why they couldn't keep the weather stations open anyway. The station coverage by the Met Office is getting worse and worse. Leconfield is near Hull! Also in my experience it is more affected by the North Sea.

Would you be forced to move somewhere else when Linton on Ouse closes?

Old 09-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, I heard! I was skeptical at first but I sincerely hope them the best - would be great to have another airport serving the region. They had an air show there last year - the Vulcan bomber made an appearance. Beautiful plane, but it won't fly ever again.

Not sure why they couldn't keep the weather stations open anyway. The station coverage by the Met Office is getting worse and worse. Leconfield is near Hull! Also in my experience it is more affected by the North Sea.

Would you be forced to move somewhere else when Linton on Ouse closes?
I really hope, excuse the pun, that it really takes off! The roads will certainly need improving, but there's already a train station there, and there's plenty of space for a good airport to expand.
I was supposed to go to the air show last year, but decided against it because I knew the traffic would be horrific. An old guy I work with lives in South Milford, and it took him 3 hours to get home! Did you go?
I saw the Vulcan at Elvington last year. It made an appearance at a model air show there. Wonderful aircraft, one of the finest ever built imo. There's one at Robin Hood Airport I believe. They were based there, or at least flew from there, back when it was RAF Finningley.

You're right, leconfield is pretty useless for us, but I don't know where else to use. Leeming is usually cooler, and is too far to really be of any relevance to York or Leeds. Tbh, it's ridiculous that a major city such as Leeds, doesn't have a met office site that's accurate for the city itself.

Well, if Linton closes, the land has to be returned to it's original state, which was farming fields. The MOD don't own the land, Oxford university dies, and to close the base and return to its original state would cost millions. Not exactly a cost effective thing to do in a time with so many cutbacks from the MOD's budget.
The only aircraft to fly from Linton are the Tucanos, and Grob, as well as a small private historic flight selection. The Tucanos, which is used to train the RAF and Navy's fast jet pilots, is due to out of service in 2019. It's replacement, The Texan T2, is expected to be based at RAF Wittering, or RAF Valley. If that happens, then no more Linton theoretically. But back to the original land issue. Due to the unique nature if the land ownership, It could mean a different squadron moves to Linton, and the base remains open. The MOD recently took the base of their closure list, so it appears they may have plans for the place. Nobody knows what though...

And yes, I'll certainly leave anyway in the next year or two. I can't risk the uncertainty, so Church Fenton, or Leeds East as it seems to be now, would certainly interest me greatly.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:54 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Anyone got St James's Park data for 81-10?

Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 PM

How about Kew Gardens? It's well within the UHI.

Kew Gardens climate information - Met Office

Interesting that stations within London, have summer lows that are only 1.1C warmer than rural stations at Linton on Ouse and Church Fenton.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:19 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
How about Kew Gardens? It's well within the UHI.

Kew Gardens climate information - Met Office

Interesting that stations within London, have summer lows that are only 1.1C warmer than rural stations at Linton on Ouse and Church Fenton.
Kew Gardens (and the Richmond Park area) appear to be in a minor frost hollow. Average lows there are comparable to or lower than rural parts of Surrey, such as Wisley.
Royal Botanic Gardens Kew climate information - Met Office
Wisley climate information - Met Office

It has the lowest minima of any weather station in Greater London.

The best stations to examine the UHI (excluding LWC) would be St James's Park, Camden Sq (closed), or the Olympic Park (which doesn't have enough data).

Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
I really hope, excuse the pun, that it really takes off! The roads will certainly need improving, but there's already a train station there, and there's plenty of space for a good airport to expand.
I was supposed to go to the air show last year, but decided against it because I knew the traffic would be horrific. An old guy I work with lives in South Milford, and it took him 3 hours to get home! Did you go?
I saw the Vulcan at Elvington last year. It made an appearance at a model air show there. Wonderful aircraft, one of the finest ever built imo. There's one at Robin Hood Airport I believe. They were based there, or at least flew from there, back when it was RAF Finningley.

You're right, leconfield is pretty useless for us, but I don't know where else to use. Leeming is usually cooler, and is too far to really be of any relevance to York or Leeds. Tbh, it's ridiculous that a major city such as Leeds, doesn't have a met office site that's accurate for the city itself.

Well, if Linton closes, the land has to be returned to it's original state, which was farming fields. The MOD don't own the land, Oxford university dies, and to close the base and return to its original state would cost millions. Not exactly a cost effective thing to do in a time with so many cutbacks from the MOD's budget.
The only aircraft to fly from Linton are the Tucanos, and Grob, as well as a small private historic flight selection. The Tucanos, which is used to train the RAF and Navy's fast jet pilots, is due to out of service in 2019. It's replacement, The Texan T2, is expected to be based at RAF Wittering, or RAF Valley. If that happens, then no more Linton theoretically. But back to the original land issue. Due to the unique nature if the land ownership, It could mean a different squadron moves to Linton, and the base remains open. The MOD recently took the base of their closure list, so it appears they may have plans for the place. Nobody knows what though...

And yes, I'll certainly leave anyway in the next year or two. I can't risk the uncertainty, so Church Fenton, or Leeds East as it seems to be now, would certainly interest me greatly.
I didn't go unfortunately - apparently traffic was so bad many couldn't even get there and demanded refunds for their tickets. It's pretty rural so the roads can't cope with high volumes of traffic. I guess many will have used the station though.

Ah I didn't know that. All aspects of our defence forces seem to be under a lot of pressure thanks to cuts. I hope you find something though - I know aviation jobs pay very handsomely. I remember seeing many fighter jets back in the early 00s around east Leeds but not anymore.

It's really annoying tbh. I'd love to have a weather station somewhere like Park Square and maybe some suburban sites like Roundhay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather