Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 04:13 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
74 days 17C+
67 days 18C+
58 days 19C+

I don't think the difference is usually as big as this though. Of course the weather station for Bingley isn't necessarily accurate for the town anyway, isn't it?

We finished with 85 days 20C+ last year, so we may well beat that. I think last year's total was about average. No idea what the record is though.
Just checked 2006, and we had 114 days above 20C. I still don't know if that's close to the record though. I think 1976 would be the best bet tbh.
No, the weather station is somewhere on a farm in the hills about 4-5 miles south of the town. Shame not to have a site measuring the microclimate in the Aire valley, interesting though to show how stark the contrast can be between somewhere a little bit higher up in the Pennines and places down in the Vale of York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Are you getting these numbers from Ogimet?

Is there any thread for sub-freezing temps? I think that would be interesting.
Bingley averages 56 frosts and 6 ice days a year for 1981-2010. York (using the Linton-on-Ouse station) will be susceptible to lower temperatures than us when the conditions are right, but it only gets 54 frosts. They won't average anywhere near as many ice days as us, but they sometimes get them when we don't because they're more prone to freezing fog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Linton does ok for frosts, but we haven't had an ice day for two or three years now. We haven't had any lying snow in the three and a bit years I've been back in York. I don't ever remember going so long without snow before. I bet you get alot more snow than we get.

What's this Aire valley microclimate? Warmer, colder? I'm interested to find more information on Yorkshire towns and cities climates. I'd imagine Doncaster is the warmest place in summer, but is there any difference between York and Leeds? Same for Harrogate too.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:48 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Quote:
Yeah I compare Ogimet, Tutiempo and the university of York. There's also a pws I use in gillygate(city centre). It's interesting to see the lows there.

Sub freezing lows? I don't think there is, and yes that would be an interesting one. I'd be particularly interesting in comparing with the other UK guys. That thread has got your name all over it Razza!
I might start it, but it is a strange time to do so, right in the middle of summer

Kinda annoying because Ogimet has lost a lot of our January data. How's Tutiempo? I've never used it.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Bingley averages 56 frosts and 6 ice days a year for 1981-2010. York (using the Linton-on-Ouse station) will be susceptible to lower temperatures than us when the conditions are right, but it only gets 54 frosts. They won't average anywhere near as many ice days as us, but they sometimes get them when we don't because they're more prone to freezing fog.
According to the Met Office we average 42.8 days of air frost, and ice days are a collector's item. But often when it gets cold it gets down pretty low. Looking at last winters days I was surprised to see how many lows had gone below -4/-5C. 2010 had a bunch of freezing days that dipped to around the -14C mark. I can barely even remember then, and I never used to wear a coat either

Old 07-19-2017, 04:56 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I might start it, but it is a strange time to do so, right in the middle of summer

Kinda annoying because Ogimet has lost a lot of our January data. How's Tutiempo? I've never used it.
Well we're more than halfway through the year, the nights are drawing in etc! The winter lovers in here will like it, as many of them will already be counting down the days until their first frost no doubt.

Tutiempo is hit and miss tbh. It's always best to check it against other sources tbh, but nonetheless it's a useful site still.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Well we're more than halfway through the year, the nights are drawing in etc! The winter lovers in here will like it, as many of them will already be counting down the days until their first frost no doubt.

Tutiempo is hit and miss tbh. It's always best to check it against other sources tbh, but nonetheless it's a useful site still.
I guess the Southern Hemisphere types could keep it running until November rolls in .

Old 07-19-2017, 05:11 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Linton does ok for frosts, but we haven't had an ice day for two or three years now. We haven't had any lying snow in the three and a bit years I've been back in York. I don't ever remember going so long without snow before. I bet you get alot more snow than we get.

What's this Aire valley microclimate? Warmer, colder? I'm interested to find more information on Yorkshire towns and cities climates. I'd imagine Doncaster is the warmest place in summer, but is there any difference between York and Leeds? Same for Harrogate too.
We've had two winters in a row without snow lying for a whole 24 hours at a time, which is our worst run for snow cover as far as I can remember. We're (or at least Bingley is, Skipton is much more marginal) usually on the right side of the rain-snow divide and it can stick around better than more or less anywhere else in the area - this is probably the most impressive snow event of our lifetimes here considering the time of year it happened - a week and a half with more than 15 cm snow on the ground even after the spring equinox!

Synop report summary

The Aire valley is a bit of a frost hollow, so much more prone to low temperatures than somewhere on a hillside. I remember PWS's in the area giving something like -15 or -16C in December 2010 when the official site never went below -11C, and I've seen winter mornings with really thick frost when the Bingley site was telling me it never went below 2 or 3C, so when the conditions are right there certainly can be a big difference. It's bound to be a bit hotter at times as well, it's just that's not as noticeable.

I suspect Doncaster would be the warmest place in Yorkshire in summer as well. If you cancelled out the UHI effect I'd be tempted to give York a couple of tenths over Leeds in summer because it's slightly lower down and more sheltered, also it just feels sunnier from the times I've been there, I don't know if you've noticed a difference.

Talking about Yorkshire climates, if you look at the list of the highest daily minimums for England per month, you see Whitby has the record for December - I can understand that one even if it's not somewhere you normally hear much about, on the coast plus a foehn effect off the North York Moors on a SW wind, but Emley Moor apparently had a low of 18.6C in October. Considering that place essentially has Bingley's climate that one makes no sense to me at all!

Weather and climate change - Met Office

Old 07-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
As of June 22nd (since our low temp was over 30°C):

141 highs 20°C+
47 lows 20°C+
104 means 20°C+
As of July 19th

168 highs 20°C+
74 lows 20°C+
131 means 20°C+

Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM

Anyway, back to this thread:

> Highs 20C - 34

April - 2
May - 9
June - 11
July (as of the 20th, with one day corrupted) - 12

>Highs 25C - 11

May - 2
June - 6
July (as of the 20th, with one day corrupted) - 3

Source: Ogimet Hawarden Data

Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
My PWS, 2017:

January: 31
February: 26
March: 29
April: 16
May: 6
June: 0
July: 0
August:
September:
October:
November:
December:

Total: 108
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather