Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times

Advertisements

This thread is obviously targeted at those who live in the northern hemisphere but of course southern hemisphere residents can weigh in too if they would like to change locations in the southern hemisphere. For this purpose, my definition of city is anywhere with more than 100,000 inhabitants.
For me, I choose Natal, Brazil

Natal, Rio Grande do Norte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 11:01 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
Bariloche. Ushuaia has better winters, but it's too cool in summer and too cloudy as well. I, however, anyway don't want to live in Southern Hemisphere because New Year (in my country it's more important holiday than Christmas) for me is associated with snow.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Bariloche. Ushuaia has better winters, but it's too cool in summer and too cloudy as well. I, however, anyway don't want to live in Southern Hemisphere because New Year (in my country it's more important holiday than Christmas) for me is associated with snow.
I'm sure you could get snow all year round on the mountains near Bariloche.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Brisbane

Old 08-15-2013, 11:31 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Ushuaia

Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
I'm a Southern Hemisphere resident, but if I had to choose, I'd choose the same as fznamznon. Bariloche for me. It's almost perfect. Could be a little colder in the winter but it's still fine. Summer is great in general (although there is the occasional heatwave but dry and short). The best about summer in Bariloche is the lows are very cool, but highs are high enough to do a variety of outdoor activities which could be a bit more uncomfortable in Ushuaia.

In fact, I just came back from Bariloche and am seriously considering the possibility of moving there.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Ushuaia
Doesn't have more than 100,00 people so doesn't qualify as a city IMO

Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 AM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'm sure you could get snow all year round on the mountains near Bariloche.
Yeah, one thing I noticed in my recent trip is precisely that. Since I'm not used to living among mountains (in fact, I live in a huge flat plain 800 km (500 mi) wide), I always forget that even if it's raining (and not snowing) in downtown Bariloche, I just have to go up some blocks away from the lake to see the snow. That's what happened in during my trip. I snowed a little in the city centre and didn't stick or accumulated and I was "Damn, I want full snow here". In fact it rained more that it snowed. But it never occurred to me that I had just to walk up three blocks to find that it was actually snowing and the snow was stuck to the ground and it accumulated. That I found out when I did a day trip to a nearby town and the bus started going up some blocks away from the lake. I was shocked to see big patches of snow at the side of the streets and of course in the mountains and the woods at the distance. Unfortunately I couldn't see the snowfall because that day was sunny and crisp, but the snow remained there for another day before melting. And that was just some meters higher than the city centre. There was much more snow at higher altitudes in the neighborhoods in the woods. In fact, I was for the first time in a big snowstorm at the base of the ski resort.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Yeah, one thing I noticed in my recent trip is precisely that. Since I'm not used to living among mountains (in fact, I live in a huge flat plain 800 km (500 mi) wide), I always forget that even if it's raining (and not snowing) in downtown Bariloche, I just have to go up some blocks away from the lake to see the snow. That's what happened in during my trip. I snowed a little in the city centre and didn't stick or accumulated and I was "Damn, I want full snow here". In fact it rained more that it snowed. But it never occurred to me that I had just to walk up three blocks to find that it was actually snowing and the snow was stuck to the ground and it accumulated. That I found out when I did a day trip to a nearby town and the bus started going up some blocks away from the lake. I was shocked to see big patches of snow at the side of the streets and of course in the mountains and the woods at the distance. Unfortunately I couldn't see the snowfall because that day was sunny and crisp, but the snow remained there for another day before melting. And that was just some meters higher than the city centre. There was much more snow at higher altitudes in the neighborhoods in the woods. In fact, I was for the first time in a big snowstorm at the base of the ski resort.
It's always like that. I live at 50m and the hill behind me goes to 400m. Often it will be raining at my house and up at 400m it will be snowing like hell with 2 foot of snow. Usually the snow-line is only a bit above my house. It is quite fascinating.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Auckland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather