Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 AM

750 posts, read 741,600 times

Advertisements

The earliest I intentionally swam was April 20th I think. In the northwest, spring is much more variable than fall. Summer-like weather is more common than in fall, but so is winter-like weather. Anyways, one time in April we hit 84 degrees and I went swimming in Lacamas Lake, a man made lake in Camas, WA. There's a rope swing hanging from a tree that's fun to jump off of. The water is quite shallow, so it warms up and cools off quickly. If you go at 6pm on an 80+ degree day, the water is pretty warm. The latest was last year on October 5th. I went at 3pm. It was too cold to go all the way in. Generally speaking, Lacamas is fair game from May to September. A half an hour north of Vancouver is Moulton Falls, an unforgiving series of waterfalls. I only swim there between July 4th and Labor Day.

One time in February I went clamming in Long Beach, WA. I tripped and fell in the water. That's why I say "intentionally" swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:55 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
The earliest lake swim for me was February in Nicaragua.

Latest was October in Canada.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:58 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I still consider January 6 in the "cooling off" (to the coldest part of winter, which is around January 15) period. So it's still considered "late" IMO. I think the dividing line should be January 15/16.
Yes, I think so as well and in that year there had been no real winter cold (in my Dfb climate sense) till 6th but later parts of January weather coldened significantly and we got a real winter cold.
Some days ago I occasionally found from a book some new information about my climate here and occured that here the coldest period of the year here is 13-18 January, so you are very correct.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:24 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,310 times
Earliest date was last May in Malaga and the latest date somewhere in October near Barcelona.

To no surprise the water was much warmer in Oct than it was in May.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:23 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
In recent memory, last year I swam in the Atlantic Ocean from a relatively early date to a relatively late date. I first swam in the ocean on June 9, 2012, and the final time that year on September 13, 2012. The ocean was warmer in mid-September, no doubt. Early June is generally not the best time to swim in the ocean because it's still too cold, although everybody is dying to by that time. September can still be pretty nice, on the other hand, but everyone's mostly done with the beach by then. I honestly don't remember if I've been in any earlier or later than last year. I don't think I ever was. In 2013, I first swam in the ocean on July 7, and it was awful. Lower 60s. I last swam in the ocean this year on August 25 and 26, and it was very, very nice. Probably mid-70s.
Latest date swimming in the ocean has changed for me as of today to September 19th. Not bad.. it was in the lower 70s... I've experienced much worse in July and August.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:11 PM

855 posts, read 772,502 times
I used to live on Vancouver Island and did the Polar Bear Swim every New Year's, so I guess that would be the "earliest". The water was not that cold, maybe 50F/10C. Latest I've ever swam in the fall is probably October. Georgia Strait is actually warmest in September, above 70F in places.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
I've never done a polar bear plunge and I wouldn't do one willingly without a wetsuit. (Unless, perhaps, it was a dare & there was some monetary incentive to do it.)

Old 09-26-2015, 12:36 PM

855 posts, read 772,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I've never done a polar bear plunge and I wouldn't do one willingly without a wetsuit. (Unless, perhaps, it was a dare & there was some monetary incentive to do it.)
It feels like being stabbed all over your body. So..I guess I don't exactly recommend it. Kind of fun though and it only lasts a couple minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather