Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,662,367 times

Advertisements

What kind of discharges/pollution are there in the Bosphorus nowadays, with it being in such an urbanised area (presumably with a massive heat island)? Has anything been done to it over the years to make water flow faster? What are the lowest water temperatures recorded there in recent cold winters? My guess is that there would be no chance of it ever freezing again and you'll probably never get the ice buildups again either, but I think you'd be better off asking in a Turkish forum to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 02:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,079,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No its not even that if the sea temp is like 15c it will take forever to cool down. Even in cold winters here were it is subzero for like 2 months it still only reaches 4/5c. (The ocean).
same here winter sea temps is around 10 degrees. It only decreases 5 to 6 degrees when very cold waves come.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,893,420 times
Yes 6c in winter here.

Some winters we can have 20c below average and the sea temp is still only dropping 1c. I'm not joking the north atlantic ocean is very consistent, it doesn't matter if its -50c it will not drop much at all.

We'd probably need an ice age to freeze the sea between here and scotland even though its 6c and wouldn't need much to drop to 0c.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,830,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulmert View Post
Maybe...
People here arguing about even temps are below -20c for one or two weeks which is unlikely without ice age Bosphorus doesnt freeze.
If the currents are strong and the winds even a bit in the wrong direction, a week or so is not enough. First the water has to cool down during autumn to around 8C, then it has to be below freezing high temps for a month, and low temps must be around -10 to -20C constantly for sufficient cooling and eventual freezing.

It takes months for the shallow sea to freeze up here, so you'd have to have a very cool autumn and a extremely cold winter (on Istanbul standards). I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
What kind of discharges/pollution are there in the Bosphorus nowadays, with it being in such an urbanised area (presumably with a massive heat island)? Has anything been done to it over the years to make water flow faster? What are the lowest water temperatures recorded there in recent cold winters? My guess is that there would be no chance of it ever freezing again and you'll probably never get the ice buildups again either, but I think you'd be better off asking in a Turkish forum to be honest.
Bosphorus is clean because of high current velocity.I dont know anything about current velocity changes.
We have a massive heat island and our temps do not go well below 0 degrees.
Our lowest sea temp is 5c in 2012

Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
If the currents are strong and the winds even a bit in the wrong direction, a week or so is not enough. First the water has to cool down during autumn to around 8C, then it has to be below freezing high temps for a month, and low temps must be around -10 to -20C constantly for sufficient cooling and eventual freezing.

It takes months for the shallow sea to freeze up here, so you'd have to have a very cool autumn and a extremely cold winter (on Istanbul standards). I wouldn't hold my breath.
Thanx for İnfo than I dont have a chance to see frozen bosphorus.Although I like warm weather, seeing frozen bosphorus would be glorious experience for me.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
The East River in NYC is similar in size (a bit shallower, though) and maybe current speed. I can't find any report of it frozen in the 20th century, but it did in the 19th century a few times:

The Bowery Boys: New York City History: Fun on the ice: Party time atop the frozen East River

someone even built a tavern on the ice!

New Yorkers Used To Walk Over The Frozen East River On "Ice Bridges": Gothamist

Milder winters and a stronger heat island prevented it from happening again. Since Instanbul has much milder winters (and probably less variability), I doubt the Bosphurus could freeze.

Btw, the coldest winter in NYC's history might be 1779/1780 when the Long Island Sound froze over.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:39 AM

It seems that Bosphorus never freezes again at least for now. even our coldest winter is back to 1929 which mean winter temperatures were 4,6c for January, 0,5c for February and and 2,7c for March, without two or three months continuos subzero conditions, no way to freeze bosphorus.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:02 AM

13 posts, read 9,803 times
Unless there is another mini ice age like the one that occurred between the 16th to the 19th century and which caused the Bosphorus to freeze in 1620, 1669, 1755, 1823, 1849, 1862 and 1893, or there is a huge volcanic eruption which causes a volcanic winter, the likelihood of the Bosphorus freezing over is extremely remote.

However the ponds, lakes and slow-flowing streams, do freeze during cold snaps for a few days, which happens almost every winter. For example, the large Büyükçekmece and Küçükçekmece lakes bordering the Sea of Maramara completely froze over in January 2017 (but larger inland body of waters like these freeze infrequently - at most once or twice a decade). The reason of course that they are either enclosed and shallow - i.e. they don't have the high current velocity and the depth of the Bosphorus - and are much more suitable to freeze over during cold snaps.

(But thanks to the "warmish" winter sea temperatures of the Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara, and the colder air temperatures, Istanbul receives paralyzing lake effect snow most winters. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather