Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:32 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times

Advertisements

Recently a cold wave sent freezing cold weather down into California. I am thinking if the opposite scenario is possible during the summer.

I wonder if high dew points are possible anywhere across the state of California. Are dew points in the low-mid 70's even remotely possible. It it impossible to see a high of 92 F with a dew point of 75 F once in 10-20 years. If it ever happens, I am guessing the LA area is the most likely to be affected (though high dew points in San Fransisco would be more interesting with warm rain and steaminess ). Something like this sounds very interesting for So. Cal:

What's behind Southern California's recent heat and humidity? | 89.3 KPCC

How often does it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 01:18 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,094 times
Hy Adi from the Brunswicks, very high dew point is possible in the imperial valley look :

Weather History for Imperial, CA | Weather Underground

The imperial valley can be very steamy probably because of the evaporation of the lake.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Yes the Imperial valley, El Centro, and even Yuma can have quite high dew pts (70s) in the monsoon season. I dont think the Salton Sea in California is large enough to add this moisture, I believe most of it comes up in the monsoon season from the Sea of Cortez there just south of their location east of Baja California.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
Southern California does occasionally get higher dewpoints (70 +) with temperatures in the 80s and 90s due to monsoons in Arizona. The Bay Area is almost NEVER influenced by this. Last summer, in L.A., labor day weekend was exceptionally hot and humid and felt like an East Coast summer. Here in the Bay Area, it was still the usually warm days and cool nights with low humidity.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:11 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,293 times
yes it happens every year when monsoons hit the area in late summer/fall.

there was an 81 degree dew point in Torrance, CA (near LAX) with temps in the 90s this year and throughout the LA Basin temps were in the mid to upper 90s with dew points in the 70s.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
What about dewpoints in cooler temperatures? -70F/21C with 90% RH. How common would that be?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,359,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Recently a cold wave sent freezing cold weather down into California. I am thinking if the opposite scenario is possible during the summer.

I wonder if high dew points are possible anywhere across the state of California. Are dew points in the low-mid 70's even remotely possible. It it impossible to see a high of 92 F with a dew point of 75 F once in 10-20 years. If it ever happens, I am guessing the LA area is the most likely to be affected (though high dew points in San Fransisco would be more interesting with warm rain and steaminess ). Something like this sounds very interesting for So. Cal:

What's behind Southern California's recent heat and humidity? | 89.3 KPCC

How often does it happen.
I was there (LA ) in July several years ago and while not as steamy as the Caribbean/East Coast in summer, it was quite muggy there. Much more than I would have expected.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What about dewpoints in cooler temperatures? -70F/21C with 90% RH. How common would that be?
Perhaps in downtown San Fransisco, that would be quite common in June as its usually in the upper 60's F and drizzly. As Adrianna always says, downtown San Fransisco summers are quite chilly. Even for a chill lover like me, its a bit too cool in the summer. I didn't feel warmth wearing short sleeves in June, though it was very comfortable. Some natural Warmth (75-85 F) is always expected in summer.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:25 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Perhaps in downtown San Fransisco, that would be quite common in June as its usually in the upper 60's F and drizzly. As Adrianna always says, downtown San Fransisco summers are quite chilly. Even for a chill lover like me, its a bit too cool in the summer. I didn't feel warmth wearing short sleeves in June, though it was surely comfortable.
I didn't think SF got much rain in summer.

Most people would find a 66F/19C dew point quite warm, rather than chilly. I could be wrong, but I don't think that would be common in SF. Maybe more like Southern California during/after winter rain?

Old 12-09-2013, 11:09 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,982 times
Quote:
Perhaps in downtown San Fransisco, that would be quite common in June as its usually in the upper 60's F and drizzly. As Adrianna always says, downtown San Fransisco summers are quite chilly. Even for a chill lover like me, its a bit too cool in the summer. I didn't feel warmth wearing short sleeves in June, though it was very comfortable. Some natural Warmth (75-85 F) is always expected in summer.
San Francisco only hits upper 60s when the sun comes out in summer. When it's foggy or drizzling, it's usually in the upper 50s or very low 60s with a light wind blowing so it feels chilly. A typical July day will start off foggy and 55 and then the sun comes out around 11AM and it may warm up to the upper 60s around 2PM. Then at 4 or 5, the fog rolls back along with the seabreeze and it will be in the 50s by dinner time. Sometimes there is an offshore flow sending the fog away allowing San Francisco to warm into the 80s in the afternoon but that's the exception rather than the rule. SF's "real" summer is in October and November when the fog is gone and days warm up to the low 70s almost every day. This year, we had widespread 70s all over the Bay Area all Thanksgiving weekend until this cold snap came this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather