Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:49 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

San Francisco,CA vs Los Angeles vs Sacramento vs San Jose.

All of these cities are classified as Mediterranean climates, and all of these cities are in the same state. SF and SJ are literally down the road from each other and belong to the Bay Area. San Jose has the same winters as San Francisco, but much warmer summers than San Francisco. San Francisco, July is cooler than September, and is subjected to oceanic fog. Also, SF has a few microclimates of its own. Los Angeles has the warmest winters out of all of these cities. Los Angeles summers, well, it varies on where you are. Get on the coast, like at Santa Monica, you get mild summers. Go inland, such as the San Fernando Valley, it can get hot. Sacramento has the coolest winters of all of the cities, and very hot summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 12:59 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX vs Savannah,GA

Dallas-Ft Worth and Savannah are both classified as humid subtropical. However, based on my experience in having lived in both Ft Worth and Savannah, this is my assessment. Ft Worth gets colder winters and much hotter summers than Savannah. Savannah's climate has more in common with Florida than with north-central Texas. It is much more humid in Savannah. The plant life is different. Never saw Spanish moss or palm trees in Ft Worth. Saw plenty in Savannah. Ft Worth, compared to Savannah, feels much drier. 100 degrees F in Ft worth feels more tolerable than 90 F in Savannah because of the relatively low humidity levels.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Olive trees aren't exclusively suited to Mediterranean climates, no matter how you look at it. It's not actually a European native, and survives really well in many non Csa climates. The French author, Georges Duhamel said that "The Mediterranean ends, where the olive tree ends". I don't think I quite agree with that, but there is certainly a commonality amongst any climate where they grow -mild winters and warm summers.
Mediterranean climates are unique in the world, so please does not midjudge it.

There are another tree native for Mediterranean basin, the Holm Oak (Quercus ilex), which are hardly able to grow outside of Mediterranean climates in a wild way.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:08 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
All climates are unique in the world. I'm not misjudging the Mediterranean climate, I'm just saying that growing olives is not unique to Mediterranean climates. All they need is a mild winter and a mild/warm summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Mediterranean climates are unique in the world, so please does not midjudge it.

There are another tree native for Mediterranean basin, the Holm Oak (Quercus ilex), which are hardly able to grow outside of Mediterranean climates in a wild way.
Considering Quercus ilex is regarded as invasive in the UK, I think it should be able to grow wild in NZ climates. I think you over estimate the differences between the milder Oceanic climates and European Mediterranean climates as far as vegetation is concerned.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Group C is Koppen's "dumping ground" zone, where he just placed all climates that don't (to him) clearly classify as tropical, arid, continental or polar. A range of 0C to 18C in the coldest month (the revised version) is laughable, let alone the original -3 to 18.

FWIW here's how I'd split it:

Temperate: all months 0-18C. Warm temperate if coldest month above 8C, cool temperate coldest month <8C but warmest >13C, cold temperate all months 0-13C (can't be polar if all months are above 0C).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshie79 View Post
Also the Scilly Isles and extreme west Cornwall, and the west coast of Ireland, are warm temperate.
That means Ireland's west coast, parts of Cornwall, and the Scilly Isles would be warm temperate, while my climate would be cool temperate . on that basis alone, I can't agree with this system.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:06 PM

719 posts, read 615,022 times
Kelowna, BC vs St. John's, NL

Both cities fall under the Dfb classification but Kelowna has more semi-arid influences and is dry year round with hot summers, while St. John's has a maritime influence being rainy all year round and having cool summers.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:22 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
Nobody ever focuses on dry climates. It is there where Köppen classification gets most lazy. Just two thresholds, annual average of 18ºC to separate "warm" and "cool" types and then another one loosely based on evapotranspiration to distinguish between "desert" and "steppe".

So, we have Lima and Khartoum belonging to the same climate (BWh).
Antofagasta and Hami (China) are both BWk.
Niamey and Murcia are both BSh.
Urumqi and Rio Gallegos are both BSk.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:08 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Houston vs. Dallas. Both Cfa humid subtropical.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:59 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Goodland Kansas vs Indianapolis Indiana, both are Dfa Humid Continental Climates with four distinct seasons.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Hobart and Vancouver are both Cfb climates but are very different from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather