Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times

Advertisements

I live in the eastern TX area, which normally will be 55 or so during the day and 37 or so at night this time of the year. It's been my impression that it's been MUCH colder than that, and already I'm about tired of it. I didn't move to Alaska, why does it insist on being so much colder than normal this year?

But the thing is, while I am definitely a warm weather person, I don't like it HOT either, anything about 90 I start to find it painful. Thus my question for the day--I'm in my 40s, and it seems over the past few years I've become grumpier about extreme temperatures, more than in the past. I recall doing long hikes & bike-rides even when it was 95 and sunny, but the past 2 years or so I swear I just don't have it in me. It just seems as if any extreme temperatures bother me more than they use to, enough that I'm starting to wish that I lived in a place where it never gets hotter than 85 and never colder than 45. I thus also find myself grumpy during the seasons when it's normal for it to be 65-85 or so, I find that it hardly ever does that and instead jumps all around all over the place usually alternating between being 45 instead of 65 and 90 instead of 70, etc. It's as if mild temperatures are hard to come by even when they're what's normal.

Is it common for a person in their 40s vs their 20s or 30s to find extreme temperatures more intolerable? And what is it about this year's winter to where it's just so brutal? I can only imagine how bad it must be in Minnesota and Montana etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
I think cold tolerance does decrease with age, and heat tolerance increases with age up to a point. I moved to Saskatchewan, Canada when I was 19 (it's north of Montana and much colder in winter) and had no issues with the cold the first year or two. Now, a decade later, I just can't stand it. I still like it on the cool side though, and your 55/37 would be perfect spring weather for me. But it'll be interesting to see how I change in another decade.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:37 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,947 times
Mine has been almost the opposite. Extreme cold still annoys me, it always has, but it hasn't become worse, and in fact my tolerance for it (not enjoyment of it) may have increased just a bit. On the other hand, starting around 95 or so, the heat bothers me quite a bit worse than it used to.

The 55/37 here isn't Key West wonderful, but it's better than places that have norms of, say, 40/20 or so. Trouble is, lately, it doesn't adhere to it. We keep having days where it doesn't get above 40 and gets down to the 20s and a few times it even has gotten down to the teens & frozen pipes, the latter being what really makes me angry, the pipes haven't burst but I don't want them freezing either, it makes you nervous they could burst. I don't live in Montana, it's not supposed to be doing that.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 AM

100 posts, read 108,349 times
koorbaatz

Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Have to say no so far in fact I've gotten more intolerable of humidity as I aged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather