Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Highest max: 46.2C on 23 February 1992 here in Perth. Don't remember the day really, but I was alive then so I did experience it, lol. I've experienced 44C a few times, which was pretty scorching.

Lowest max: Probably around freezing in the mountains in NZ.

Highest min: About 30C a few years back during a heatwave in Perth. One particularly bizarre weather occasion I remember: 37C, northerly blasting, and raining, at 11pm! (I kid you not, you can check with the BOM on that one). Unfortunately a cool change followed.

Lowest min: One morning when it was -6C in Mount Hutt, NZ. In Perth, probably -2C, and -4C in Beijing in December. Although I did experience -20C in one of those indoor snow places but only for less than an hour.

Worst subjective cold: Probably actually Beijing, it was my first experience being in real cold for extended periods, even if it wasn't super cold (mins about -3, max about 3-4C). NZ was the first time I experienced near-freezing temps and rain simultaneously.

Worst subjective heat: Katherine, NT in October with 40C and high humidity. Sweating like a pig.

Highest windspeed: I've seen wind speeds of 120 km/h during storms here in Perth.

Heavy rain: Probably haven't seen any more than 100 mm fall in 24 hours, not sure where though.

Thunderstorms: Perth isn't known for big T-storms. Best ones were probably seen in Malaysia, where they occur year-round. Hope to go to the Top End one day to see their cracker thunderstorms.

Tornadoes: Seen localised willy-willies here in Perth. They're actually pretty common, but usually no more than a few metres across. Mostly harmless, although the ones associated with storms in winter/spring here can do damage, including the 'water-spouts.' Haven't seen a real twister.

Cyclones/hurricanes: Never wittnessed, but I'd like to, if I was safe. Apart from the damage that comes with it!

Snow: Never seen it snowing/snow fall. Saw snow for the first time in NZ (Mt. Hutt), again in China at the Great Wall, and at Cradle Mountain, Tassie, where I saw snow-capped Cradle Mountain (in December).

Blizzard: As I said, I've never even seen the white stuff come down from the heavens!

Drought: Last summer it didn't rain for over 100 days in Perth, which was a record or near record I believe.

Last edited by Trimac20; 11-17-2010 at 02:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:38 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Having never been out of europe you'll laugh when you see how tame my stuff is.

Highest max: About 35-36 degrees.

Lowest max: -2, -3 maybe.

Highest min: No idea. Probably in the low 20's when in Rome or Faro.

Lowest min: Minus 10 degrees here last December.

Worst subjective cold: Here every winter.

Worst subjective heat: Nowhere.

Highest windspeed: Gusts of about 75mph witnessed by me.

Heavy rain: I've seen rainfall rates reach up to 250mm/hr (by radar) over my location, where it was so heavy it bounced off everything and visibility dropped to zero and of course there were literally rivers of water flowing down every street. Last time was 14th July 2010.

Thunderstorms: From a lightning perspective I saw a storm in Berkshire England with continuous lightning, and up to 120 strikes recorded in as many seconds in one area near me.

Tornadoes: Also not actually seen the tornado but remember a heavy thunderstorm in Sept. 2006 which produced a damage causing but weak tornado 5 miles east of my location in Lincoln.

Cyclones/hurricanes: We've had hurricane force storms here in the UK, notably the damaging October 1987 storm, a simiar also fatal storm in 1990 and one in Jan 2007.

Snow: December 1990 also last year December 2009 and then January 2010 were quite snowy.

Blizzard: December 1990, up to 1.5 feet of snow and severe gales in the midlands, caused lots of power cuts and some damage and flooding as the snow thawed.

Drought: About 2-3 weeks here.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:34 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Highest max: 40C or thereabouts in France in August 2003

Highest min: ca. 29C in Sardinia, July 2006

Lowest min: -21C in Jena, Germany in January 2009

Lowest max: -12C, same day as above

Most snow: The 1.5m snowdrift I fell into on the Yorkshire moors, January 2010

Most rain (single downpour): Virtually every afternoon in the Guatemalan mountains, August 2007. Really spectacular to watch for someone who'd never seen tropical rain before.

Most rain (prolonged): either the floods that gave me a few days off school in autumn 2000 or walking in Snowdonia, November 2009. The paths were turned into rivers, roads were barely passable, we were all soaking wet before we'd even left the car park and the wind was so bad we didn't even risk going on the higher parts. 26 inches of rain at Capel Curig, Snowdonia that month, similar to what London gets in a year.

Drought: No facts at hand, but probably summer 1995 in Yorkshire. Our reservoir almost completely dried up and we had the only water restrictions I have ever experienced.

Wind: Strong winter storms happen most years where I grew up, but worst damage has to be Christmas Eve night 1997 when a house near us had its roof blown off

Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Great thread

Highest max :
-Approximative : probably around 45-50°C in Death Valley in early August where I stayed a couple of days, but it was a long time ago and I wasn't a weather geek at that time so I don't know the exact value
-Otherwise : 43°C in downtown New Delhi, India in August - it was unusually hot for this time of the year because of a major delay in the advent of the monsoon which usually "cools down" the temperature to 33-35°C.

Highest min :
-Slightly above 30° in Hong Kong several times in August and September
-Once in New Delhi, in August, it was 33°C at 4am but I don't know about the actual day minimum.

Lowest max :
-Pian Rosa, Italy (3400m ASL) in February, -12°C (ski resort)
-At sea level : -4°C in Paris

Lowest min :
-Isola 2000, France (>2000m ASL) in December at the summit, -18°C with blizzard. Hellish.
-At sea level : -9°C in Paris.

---

Highest max in winter : 28.9°C in Hong Kong, February 2010
Lowest min in summer : 0.5 at Tso Kar, Ladakh, India in August (4500m ASL )

---

Highest rainfall : >200m in 24h in Hong Kong, mid-September 2010 (during a typhoon)

Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Highest Max: 40 C

Highest Min: 30 C?

Lowest Max: -36 C

Lowest Min: -40 C

Worst Subjective Cold: Any time we get a steady 30+km/h sustained north wind in January. Toronto's worst days (like once in 20+ year events) were worse than I've experienced in other parts of Ontario that have colder winter averages.

Worse Subjective Heat: Washington DC outskirts. 40 C and "not dry." The heat was high enough to sting my nose a little, if I breathed in too deeply. Honestly that was the most I noticed in terms of discomfort; sweating for me is usually easily ignorable. The worst subjective heat I've ever experienced is a JOKE compared to how hard windchills below -18 C (0 F) are on me... which I experience every winter here.

Highest Windspeed: Sustained 96 km/h? Gusts of 115 km/h? Myrtle Beach, Cat 1 hurricane just to the east of our hotel. 100 km/h winds are probably the worst winds I've felt in Toronto, not counting downbursts or random minor tornados.

Tornado: never actually seen a funnel cloud that did damage. I have seen a few mature trees ripped in half (Norway Maple is a stupid tree for Toronto; wouldn't give up its leaves ) not far from my house though.

Snow: Probably 60 cm (24") within 24 hrs. No big deal. City was "delayed" maybe 12 hrs.

Blizzard: As Canadian meteorologists describe them, the only ones I've seen weren't that memorable, had very light snow accumulations and were just very cold. We almost never get blizzards because it's hardly ever "cold enough" when we get blowing snow; has to be -12 C or colder in Canada to count as a blizzard.

Drought: 3-4 months with scant precip? probably 3-4 weeks with zero precip at all?

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-17-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 AM

87 posts, read 120,192 times
All of these were taken from my suburb (Berwick) in Melbourne, Australia. It is located 40km/25 miles southeast of downtown and 20km inland.

Hottest High: 47C in February 2009

Coldest High: 9C in in August 2008 and June 2010.

Hottest Low: 29C in January 2009 and November 2009. However, I have seen temps of 36C here at 2am in the morning on New Years 2006 and in Jan 2008 and Jan 2009, can't remember the exact days though.

Coldest Low: -3.5C in August 2005. Since then, haven't seen it even touch 0C.

Highest wind: 128km/h..... July 2009 during a squall line that moved through

Thunderstorms: several Supercells have developed in or near Melbourne this year, some of them tornadic. I drove through one on March 6 2010, total whiteout, at 2pm it was literally darker than night you couldn't see nothing. The most recent one was last Friday which caused some local destruction, including damage to buildings, fences destroyed and trees uprooted. Widespread Supercell activity in Victoria has been a feature of the 2009-10 storm season and already this season.

Last edited by Medway; 11-17-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
@Cold Canadian where / when was the coldest min and max? what does it feel like?

@Medway That's incredible heat! Especially for a not very hot place. Our summers are quite a bit warmer (maybe by about 6°F?) but I haven't seen anything above 40°C. How often do you get 40°C and above?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
@Cold Canadian where / when was the coldest min and max? what does it feel like?
Sometime in the early-mid 1990's.

If you know what -5 F (-20 C) feels like, imagine doubling the intensity of that cold.
That was before my disorder (thankfully).
Seems you need about 50% more in layers all over, vs. dressing for -5 F to feel the same way "core-wise."

That's when we had these warnings on TV:

"...Exposed flesh can freeze within 12 seconds.
(most sensitive parts, assuming worst possible circulation )
If you don't have to go outside, DON'T!..."

^^ While I had to wait 25 minutes standing on some grass for our late schoolbus.
At lunch we were forced outside after eating for 50 minutes "so the teachers could still enjoy their break."

"...Coldest weather in 100 years? Bah, this is Canada, kids at 12-14 yrs old should be able to deal with it..."

I wore two warm winter hats and two thick scarves.
Gloves with mitts over top; still putting my hands into my coat pockets.
I might have had a lighter coat under my normal winter coat.
Two pairs of pants (+ long johns?) and then snowpants on top?
Triple socks?
Three shirts on. (all long sleeves?)

Old 11-17-2010, 08:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Hottest high: 45-48°C in Death Valley (car thermometer read 50°C but it was probably too high since it was in the sun, so 45-48°C is my best guess), 39°C is the highest I experienced locally

Highest min: Outside of Death Valley, probably 28°C from a heat wave in Long Island
Coldest high: -18°C /0°F in upstate NY
Coldest low: -30°C / -22°F same day

Most snowfall: 26 inches from a storm
Highest windspeed: 60 mph
Most rainfall: 3 inches in a hour ?, had several months with 10+ inches of rain before
Tornado: Had a couple within 10 miles form me, none really close

Hottest Low:

Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 AM

87 posts, read 120,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

@Medway That's incredible heat! Especially for a not very hot place. Our summers are quite a bit warmer (maybe by about 6°F?) but I haven't seen anything above 40°C. How often do you get 40°C and above?
Downtown Melbourne averages 27C in January (29.9C where I live), I can't imagine anywhere in Massechusets exceeding 31-33C for an average high. A bit of exaggeration there. Massechusets (sic) wouldn't reach 40C as it is far from any centre of extreme heat, such as a desert, plus the air is more humid and maritime preventing very high temps.

Melbourne is susceptible to heat as it lies relatively close to the desert and prevailing weather patterns often bring down hot dry desert air which kills all humidity allowing the temp to soar. The highest official temp anywhere in Melbourne on record is 47.9C in the western suburbs on Feb 7, 2009. That day, it actually become pretty cloudy and hazy by mid afternoon, had it remained clear I reckon it would've gone higher. Only 7-8 hours of sunshine was recorded out of a possible 13, so the temp might've cracked 49C or even higher if skies had remained clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather