Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM

824 posts, read 688,983 times

Advertisements

Avoiding weather I hate! No point in being happy part of the year if the other part makes you miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 03:11 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Avoiding weather I hate. Very difficult to do in this crap climate.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:07 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Experiencing weather I like is more important. Even with this year's extreme winter, my climate is still far better than California because of what will come in July & August.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 AM

607 posts, read 649,156 times
OK here goes. In winter I'd prefer to experience the weather I like (snow, cold, frost and some winter sunshine), even if it is only intermittently, rather than sit through 3 months of blandness. So I'd rather spend a winter in New York (which will get some of the weather I like, even if not all the time) than Auckland (which is just mild and boring, though never particularly "bad").

In summer however avoiding what I hate is more important. What I hate in summer are: excessive rain, excessive cloudiness, changeable temperatures. So Antofagasta (where it's in the low 20s and sunny all the time) beats Melbourne (which gets the odd day of 40C heat, followed by dull rainy sub-20C rubbish).

Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
The latter.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:31 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,184 times
I hate hot weather much more than I like cold. I can live without cold and snow, but I would be perfectly happy without ever experiencing 30°C+ temperatures in my life.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:53 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
I hate hot weather much more than I like cold. I can live without cold and snow, but I would be perfectly happy without ever experiencing 30°C+ temperatures in my life.
I can see what you mean. I'd be quite content not to experience 30°C+ temperatures ever again, and avoiding heat is always a priority of mine. But I don't know if I could live without snow and cold. Maybe one snowless winter or two wouldn't completely wreck me. But I'd be extremely unhappy, to say the least, if I could never experience snow again.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,044,995 times
For winter definately weather i like (long lasting snowcover, temperatures mainly below freezing, snowshowers alternating with sunny, crisp days).
When we get such a winter i really sacrifice it, try to be outside as often as possible and taking photographs from that fairy-tale like wintry landscape.

When we get a mild winter like the last one where snow is the exception, then it is like an endless waiting for me, regularly checking the charts to find snow options between November and March but everything else is not so interesting for me. Mild winters can often bring windstorms here with storm tides but they not as exciting for me than snow and ice during the winter. (it's another story during the transitional seasons though).

As for the summer, my favourite weather is plentifull of sunshine and temperatures in the mid 20s (C) and thunderstorms about twice a week.
However during summer, my preferences are not that important for me, so i am willing to take a cool or hot summer when i get a cold winter in return, but i am not willing to take a mild winter to get a warm summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather