Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would you prefer to live in?
New York City 33 56.90%
Yellowknife, Canada 15 25.86%
Yuma, Arizona 10 17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,886,388 times

Advertisements

Pick from one of the 3 that you'd have to live in year-round..(no option for voting for one in winter and the other one in summer). Pick based on climate alone and not on city size, lifestyle, etc.

New York City- I consider this a standard, moderate 4 seasons climate with some snow in winter (also good number of days above freezing temps as well, snow falls at times, accumulates at times but also melts quite a bit), warm humid summers, and nice springs and falls. Moderate precipitation evenly distributed throughout the yeear
New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada- Subarctic Climate with extremely brutal winters but pleasant, mild summers with lots of sunshine. Snow stays on the ground from mid October through early May.
Yellowknife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yuma, Arizona- Driest desert city in the U.S with an average of less than 3 inches of rain per year. Brutally hot all summer (dry heat though) but very pleasant in winter. Springs and Falls are gradual transitions from pleasant to hot to very hot and vice versa.
Yuma, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 03-16-2013 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
Yuma for sure.. summer is way too hot for me but I'd rather have that than get snow and freezing temps in winter. As long as I had A/C I'd be fine there..

Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,280 times
Yuma! Oh how i love HOT & DRY weather, even winters there are in the low 20's and high teens which is a great relief from hot summers but its still pleasantly warm.

as for city itself, i wouldnt live in yuma but i would in Phoenix which has pretty much the same climate as yuma.

as my 2nd choice id go with NYC and yellowknife last.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:33 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
NYC's winters are way too weak and its summers are way too hot and muggy for my taste. Yuma is simply too hot year-round and far too sunny. So I'll pick the strong subarctic option - Yellowknife. Yellowknife's summers are not too hot, and although winters there are colder than I like, it's nothing I can't handle and it offers a real winter experience, something I cannot say for the other two options.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:39 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times
Yellowknife - winters are colder than ideal, but overall it's better than NYC and Yuma. NYC's summers are too hot and humid. Yuma's summers are too hot and it's way too sunny and dry.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM

NYC is by far my first choice- Winters are colder than I'm used to and summers are slightly warmer and definitely more humid than I'm used to but I'd actually like that as I think my climate doesn't have enough seasonal variation and is also too dry in summer. I'd like to experience some snow in winter but still have some warmer spells in between. Even their coldest winter days, it's ok to be outside for long periods of time if dressed properly.

If I had to pick between Yellowknife and Yuma, I'd choose Yuma and stay inside in the AC during the summer. I'd try to only spend time outdoors during the very early AM hours in summer. Winters would be very pleasant and mid spring/fall would be like a normal summer of what I'm used to.

Yellowknife has far too brutal winters and the temperatures seem like it would be dangerous to spend time outside but I do know that some hard-core cold lovers would prefer it because of the consistent snow for over half the year and the mild, pleasant summers over NYC's hot, humid summer.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,776 times
New York City. I love getting all four seasons.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 PM

Wow- a 3 way tie- I expected a much more lopsided poll towards moderate NYC....

Old 03-16-2013, 08:31 PM

559 posts, read 748,017 times
NYC for being the most balanced one. Decent in winter, summers a bit too warm but not terrible, and good sunshine. Yellowknife is pleasant in summer but way too cold in winter, and Yuma is too hot and sunny most of the year.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:47 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,823,890 times
Yellowknife! It has seasonal swing AND is pretty dry. NY is muggy and too rainy. Yuma is just a perpetual summer, although I do like the dryness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather