Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:17 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Cloudy is one description I would never choose for Florida, but I guess it depends on where you live, i.e., the weather in Naples is very different from Jacksonville, and I've lived in or near both cities.

I think the reason many people complain about the hot & humid summers is because of the monotony, at least that's what got to me after several years. I lived most of the past 20 years in Lee County. Watching the weather on TV, I noticed the summers weren't any hotter than in most northern cities, but the humidity and dew points stayed so high most nights that there was no relief. If you're here 365 days a year, then it becomes the same ol' same ol' after a while.

I guess if someone like yours truly doesn't want to be a snowbird (or cannot afford to maintain 2 homes) the decision to make when you retire is "Do I want to be cold and miserable for 3 to 4 months every year or do I want to be hot and miserable for 3 to 4 months every year?"
Or move to San Diego, California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Live in Upper Michigan in the winter for mondo snow and Florida in the summer for the heat. If you wish to just have "hot rain," you should consider the Keys, as they rarely get the electrical storms that central FL gets.

Personally, I like my lightning, I've even been "kissed" by it.
The best place for hot rain with less lightning is Hong Kong.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:27 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,605 times
I say clearly the best weather in the country is the California coast where you have steering control over the micro-climate you want to be in by driving short distances due to mountain passes

You can both ski in snow, be cool on the ocean in summer and winter, only thing you don't get in California is humidity...but in the redwood forest north of San Francisco you get high moisture content in cold form

Hot muggy without relief isn't my cup of tea. Hot muggy with rain breaking heat yes that's different....northern Michigan Great Lakes summer

Last edited by EricS39; 05-16-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
based of of the accuweather averages for tangerang, with its hottest month at 88F with high humidity, Miami also has its hottest month in the upper 80s with high humidity, so they are the same
no miami is hotter avg high in august is 91f.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:28 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
no miami is hotter avg high in august is 91f.
Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 05-18-2014, 02:35 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I wonder if climate change is making Florida weather hotter ? It's true we didn't even have much of a winter at all this year, while it seemed other states were having a brutally cold and snowy one.
I watched Bill Moyers on PBS last evening. Unfortunately, I only caught the last 15 minutes, but his guest was David Suzuki, a scientist, who was discussing global warming. I don't think most people understand that even a few degrees can dramatically change our entire way of life. Dr. Suzuki pointed out that our planet has gone through several extinctions, but this might be the first one caused by mankind. I just wish that climate change wasn't such a political debate, since it's very real and has nothing to do with Al Gore or whoever is in the spotlight or wants to sell books or run for office. It's a global problem.

Anyway, I believe that a lot of the extreme weather we've been seeing on the news is a result of global warming. The effects will be more devastating on poorer countries where people are already living without basic needs.

At least in Southwest Florida we can turn on the air conditioning, but wildfires and mudslides can't be stopped by lowering the thermostat.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:23 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,372 times
The TWC link you cited is for Miami Beach. Official records are kept at KMIA, where the normal August high is indeed exactly 91F: National Weather Service Climate A good guess for downtown itself is somewhere in between the two...

Old 05-18-2014, 11:30 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
KMIAs reading for Miamiintl. airport is very inaccurate of Miami, which Miami proper is more coastal than any area within the unincorporated Miami Intl. Airport. A vast majority of Miami proper is 5-10 miles from the coast whereas the airport is too inland. So, I think the link from weather.com is the more accurate reading. he was right the first time.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Traditional summer returns tomorrow.

Pleasant day before humidity returns to Tampa area | TBO.com, The Tampa Tribune and The Tampa Times

Old 06-07-2014, 02:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
It has been abnormally dry in a few sections of Florida (specifically the SW and SE counties) but no severe drought conditions.

[url=http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/]United States Drought Monitor > Home[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather