Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:20 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan93 View Post
I don't count the suburbs as part of a city, they are just towns in the metro area, which means I am going by the CBD. Penrith which is a town west of Sydney DOES have a Cfa climate whereas Sydney has a Cfb climate which is Oceanic.
Penrith is a suburb of Sydney. Sydney CBD isn't more "Sydney" than its suburbs, if that makes sense. North, south, west...it's all Sydney.

Sydney CBD being Cfb is debatable. I personally can see some portions of the City being more Cfb than Cfa, like the southeastern suburbs on the coast. After all, we are on a transitional zone - The next city on top of us is Cfa (Newcastle) and the major city below us is Cfb (Wollongong). As such, in some years we can be more, say, Cfb than Cfa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Amazing....

I think somebody from BOM/Wiki saw this thread, got humiliated, and then they rightfully shaded the Sydney area in subtropical'a light green colour. Lol...

Old 05-28-2016, 12:00 AM

765 posts, read 573,948 times
The Sydney CBD is pretty unambiguously Cfa, the last year where the warmest month didn't reach a mean of at least 22C was 1995, and even then it was only by 0.1C.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
The Sydney CBD is pretty unambiguously Cfa, the last year where the warmest month didn't reach a mean of at least 22C was 1995, and even then it was only by 0.1C.
Not all of Sydney is Cfa, though. The Hills District (i.e. Hornsby) is oceanic, as their warmest month doesn't reach 22C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennan..._Wales#Climate

Anyway, glad that there is another person living in Sydney on these boards. I'm probably the only Sydneysider here, besides one other user who rarely comes on.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Not all of Sydney is Cfa, though. The Hills District (i.e. Hornsby) is oceanic, as their warmest month doesn't reach 22C.

Only just and the data is old anyway, temperatures only from 1907-1943. Climate statistics for Australian locations

Quote:
Anyway, glad that there is another person living in Sydney on these boards. I'm probably the only Sydneysider here, besides one other user who rarely comes on.
Indeed, it's strange that their aren't more really, it's not exactly a small city.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:29 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:

Now you're just being pedantic.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Only just and the data is old anyway, temperatures only from 1907-1943. Climate statistics for Australian locations

Indeed, it's strange that their aren't more really, it's not exactly a small city.
Unless there was a cooling trend in that time period, I don't think the averages would be any different. Incidentally, Sydney CBD's warmest mean was still 22C in the 1881-1910 normals, although the winters were 2C cooler (http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...0-normals.html. But I don't know...

I think it's because CityData is a very North American-based forum? But yeah, it's surprising that there are barely people from Sydney in here (not just in the weather forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Now you're just being pedantic.
Tell that to Koppen. Anything under the 22C threshold will not be subtropical to him.

Wollongong also misses the mark by 0.1C (Wollongong's warmest month mean is 21.9C). So now, unfortunately, it's oceanic just because it's 0.1C cooler than the 22C isotherm.

You can always call them transitional, though. I do categorize Wollongong and other cities in the likes (having a mean of 21.6C-ish in the warmest month) as borderline Cfa/Cfb, than just Cfb.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:03 AM

I'd say that much of the NSW coast, say from Port Stephens down to Ulladulla, has in fact the same climate. It all seems to be affected by the same sort of weather anyway.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
I'd say that much of the NSW coast, say from Port Stephens down to Ulladulla, has in fact the same climate. It all seems to be affected by the same sort of weather anyway.
Yeah, I agree. But obviously Koppen wouldn't (Ulladulla will be oceanic to him since the summer mean is below 22C). I can't see how Wollongong has more in common with London and Glasgow than with Sydney.

Koppen should've had an "in-between" class, like for climates that have winters too warm for oceanic, but still cool enough in the summer to be just Cfa.

Grouping and classification shouldn't be taken for granted anyway. Like language family classifications for instance - Farsi would obviously sound more like Turkish and Arabic for the foreign ear, but it's actually in fact "genetically" closer to European languages like English and Portuguese, since it's a Indo-European language like they are.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Warmest month is below 74°F (a better cut off than 71.6°), so Sydney is Warm Oceanic Warm Summer (Warmest month 64°-73.9°F)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather