Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:57 AM

29,532 posts, read 19,620,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I figured you'd choose Beijing, I know you like extremes,
your perfect climate is a place with a very cold winter and a very hot summer.
So for Beijing would be perfect if it had a Minneapolis winter

I see you put up a Billy Bishop AP climate graph
Billy Bishop AP is on an Island out in Lake Ontario,
a cooler micro climate than mainland Toronto.
That's like putting up a graph of climate data on an island in Lake Michigan (if there was one)
to represent Chicago.

Might as well use Burlington, ON climate data to represent Toronto
We are a technically a suburb and have warmer highs than Toronto itself.
Weather Sparks uses that site for Toronto. All I did was type Toronto and that station automatically popped up. I had no idea where it was located within TO.

So I went back to weather sparks and clicked on the map of Toronto. Isn't Pearson Airport the official station?

Here is the data that they present for Pearson (1982-2012)

Better than the Bishop sight, but a high of 27C in July is not ideal either for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 AM

23 posts, read 38,722 times
How about winter temperatures? What do you guys think?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:26 AM

69 posts, read 152,898 times
Toronto is ok. Beijing is better.
I like high humidity.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:30 AM

63 posts, read 43,467 times
Definitely Beijing, I can't imagine how cool does it feel when temperatures are still struggling in the 50s in Toronto in May. Although summers are a little bit hot and humid in Beijing, but the other 3 seasons are warmer and sunnier than Toronto.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:06 AM

1,548 posts, read 871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I figured you'd choose Beijing, I know you like extremes,
your perfect climate is a place with a very cold winter and a very hot summer.
So for Beijing would be perfect if it had a Minneapolis winter

I see you put up a Billy Bishop AP climate graph
Billy Bishop AP is on an Island out in Lake Ontario,
a cooler micro climate than mainland Toronto.
That's like putting up a graph of climate data on an island in Lake Michigan (if there was one)
to represent Chicago.

Might as well use Burlington, ON climate data to represent Toronto
We are a technically a suburb and have warmer highs than Toronto itself.
The Annex is an even smaller microclimate, yet the maximum warmth of that station seems to attract you the most. Burlington is no more representative than Newmarket a suburb closer to Barrie. The furthest UHI station I'm willing to accept for Toronto is Downsview. Toronto Downsview, On Climate Toronto Downsview, On Temperatures Toronto Downsview, On Weather Averages

Old 03-16-2021, 04:43 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
I prefer Beijing. Much milder/warmer weather with more sunshine and less gloomy cloud cover/rain interrupting the period, unlike Toronto. And then you have a dramatic excitement with a switch into the hot, humid, and rainy monsoon cycle, unlike the more uneventful weather in Toronto. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Beijing is a better version of humid continental than anywhere in North America and Europe.

Old 03-21-2021, 01:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
I prefer Beijing. Much milder/warmer weather with more sunshine and less gloomy cloud cover/rain interrupting the period, unlike Toronto. And then you have a dramatic excitement with a switch into the hot, humid, and rainy monsoon cycle, unlike the more uneventful weather in Toronto. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Beijing is a better version of humid continental than anywhere in North America and Europe.
Beijing can have sand storms in spring (just had one last week), something most Americans and Europeans have never experienced.

Beijing also has lots of thunder storms in summer (much more than in Boston at least).

Old 03-21-2021, 09:19 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Beijing can have sand storms in spring (just had one last week), something most Americans and Europeans have never experienced.

Beijing also has lots of thunder storms in summer (much more than in Boston at least).
Yes, those two elements add to the excitement of Beijing's regime compared to the counterparts in the US. Summer thunderstorms are one of my favorite features of subtropical-tropical climates, and I like the extension into Beijing. And while the dust-storms will suck for air-quality, they at least provide quite an interesting experience - and it signals the influence of cool-season aridity to the climate, which is much more preferable than cold, wet weather (imo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather