Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 10:52 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times

Advertisements

As soon as those southerners started running their plantations, they knew they had it made when it concerning the climate. That's because the US South is subtropical paradise, and the southerners knew it, using the warm, wet, tranquil, subtropical climate to grow all sorts of cash crops like indigo, race, tobacco, peaches, sugarcane, etc.

The South (especially coastal regions) rarely suffers from severe weather; all the thunderstorms that occur in the region are non-severe, and at the same time, put on spectacular lightning shows to wow the viewers. Lots of rain comes from these storms, but the rain is delivered in quick bursts, meaning that the sun has lots of room to shine, making for a climate that has BOTH lots of rain AND lots of sun.

Alot of people like to make the weak argument that the South is cold during winter compared to other subtropical environments... well, that is false; the South is very warm during winter, and it has many tropical winter days, where nightime lows are above 60 in the MIDDLE OF WINTER. Cold fronts occur, yes, but by the time they reach the South, they are nothing but breezes and windshifts, because at the low latitude, the cold front peters out. Also, every subtropical region in the world gets cold fronts, and temp variation during the cool season. The south may appear to have extreme record lows compared to other subtropical environments, but that is because of the fact that such lows were recorded during a cold epoch (a period of cold weather that affects all subtropical regions at one time or another; in Europe's cold epoch, even the Medditeranean cities saw blizards!). Also, the US has technology that is more advanced than other countries, so the temps will be recorded more accurately. The South is so warm, it even has a tropical region OUTSIDE the tropics (South Florida), and its one of the few places in the world you can grow coconuts OUTSIDE the tropics (in South and Central Florida, and Texas Coast). Subtropical mangrove trees line the entire Gulf Coast; mangoes and bananas grow like weeds, lots of varied subtropical landscapes from lush coastal plains to deep spooky swamps with HUMONGOUS trees drapped with full thick spanish moss ( a TROPICAL American plant); mahogany and yellow pines being grown easily, native crocodilians and palms... just a few of the MANY characteristics that show just how warm the South is.

People in Europe talking about how "cold" the US is have no idea how utterly cold their Med climate is in comparison to the warm, subtropical DEEP south. The DEEP DEEP South can be compared to the likes of Australia, North Africa, and Subtropical India in terms of winter warmth; thats how colonists in the southern part of the 13 colonies grew all sorts of things.

All in all, southerners know they have it made when it comes to climate; there is a reason why people sang "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" in the South; because they were enjoying the subtropical paradise that was present.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:28 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
People in Europe talking about how "cold" the US is have no idea how utterly cold their Med climate is in comparison to the warm, subtropical DEEP south. The DEEP DEEP South can be compared to the likes of Australia, North Africa, and Subtropical India in terms of winter warmth; thats how colonists in the southern part of the 13 colonies grew all sorts of things.
The 'deep deep south' has seen flurries of snow, correct me if I'm wrong (somewhere around Florida). The similar-latitude parts in Australia, North Africa and India haven't (not unless, though, if they're mountainous). Frost is also present in Florida, in some years.

Btw, the 'not so deep' south has sees snow every 3-5 years or so (New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio). Comparatively, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, which are around the same latitude of these southern cities, have NEVER gotten snow. The south is still continental influenced somehow and thus nearly every part of it can get cold snaps (I mean, North America virtually touches the arctic region).

Look at the climate of Hervey Bay (QLD AUS). It is at the same latitude of Miami - compare them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hervey_Bay#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Climate

So you can say that only THE VERY far south of America is truly 'subtropical' or 'tropical paradise', not anywhere above Orlando.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:10 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
The 'deep deep south' has seen flurries of snow, correct me if I'm wrong (somewhere around Florida). The similar-latitude parts in Australia, North Africa and India haven't (not unless, though, if they're mountainous). Frost is also present in Florida, in some years.

Btw, the 'not so deep' south has sees snow every 3-5 years or so (New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio). Comparatively, Brisbane and the Gold Coast, which are around the same latitude of these southern cities, have NEVER gotten snow. The south is still continental influenced somehow and thus nearly every part of it can get cold snaps (I mean, North America virtually touches the arctic region).

Look at the climate of Hervey Bay (QLD AUS). It is at the same latitude of Miami - compare them:

So you can say that only THE VERY far south of America is truly 'subtropical' or 'tropical paradise', not anywhere above Orlando.
No kidding, the Southern U.S is a terrible representation of a subtropical climate. Much too cold there.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Quote:

All in all, southerners know they have it made when it comes to climate; there is a reason why people sang "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" in the South; because they were enjoying the subtropical paradise that was present.
Maybe the south of Florida is, but southern Med climates have milder winters than most of the Gulf coast and deep south of the USA. Summers are not quite as hot and humid in the med however.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:28 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Well good then I guess you won't need to build your magic force field to keep the cold out.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,720 times
Quote:
As soon as those southerners started running their plantations, they knew they had it made when it concerning the climate. That's because the US South is subtropical paradise, and the southerners knew it, using the warm, wet, tranquil, subtropical climate to grow all sorts of cash crops like indigo, race, tobacco, peaches, sugarcane, etc.

Yeah, those southerners had it made alright, since the slaves did all the work. Working in that cruel, merciless sun, that cruel whip lashing their backs, yeah, it was paradise alright.

Brutal heatwaves, drought, fires, outbreaks of severe cold, tornadoes - it's a wonder anyone ever bothered to settle the southern states at all. Of course, if it wasn't for the slaves, they wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole. If it wasn't for air conditioning, the South would still be a sleepy backwater, totally disregarded by the rest of the United States, and even now, the vast majority of the South is comparable to a third-world country. It's certainly no paradise by any stretch of the imagination, that's for sure.

If I could go back in time, I'd set fire to the entire South and wiped out every plantation, every village, every port, and returned it to nature, never to be tramped upon by the human foot again. The South is a stain upon this country's history, and I'm ashamed to be living here. If I could play God, even for a minute, North America would have its southern shore at the latitude of the Maryland border, with not a drop of land to be found until Mexico.

Yeah, this boy won't be singing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" until I'm able to move someplace far, far away, like on the shore of awesome Lake Superior. Now, that there is a real paradise.

(In case you're wondering why I'm feeling this way, I'm reading "Twelve Years a Slave." Reading that makes me wish the United States never became a country at all, as we certainly don't deserve it. Such a sad commentary of the human condition. )

Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Thanks for that OP...

Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post

It appears that Orlando reaches near freezing every year.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
This thread is pathetic...

Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,690,601 times
Just been looking up statistics. New Orleans, LA, 30°N has winter averages almost the same as Faro, Portugal, 37°N. So much for Med climates being "utterly cold" compared to the "deep south".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.