Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Athens, GA Vs. Athens, Greece
Athens, Greece 20 50.00%
Athens, Georgia 20 50.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:53 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomaster2004 View Post
....yea and average dew points during the day across inland south Georgia are 72 F/21 C in July. The current dew point in Savannah, Georgia right now is 74 F/23 C (75 F dewpoint in New Orleans right now), and often places in south Georgia see 77 F/25 C dewpoints!

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Current Dew Points

Athens, Greece...nor anywhere in the Mediterranean can't touch that.

Trust me, you have no idea what your talking about.
Bull****
Actually there are many Mediterranean climates which do have dewpoints comparable to this. I gave you the link already, but you choose to ignore it. You have to scroll down to the dewpoints.
Average Weather For Messina, Italy - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Reggio Calabria, Italy - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Palermo/Punta Raisi, Italy - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Lampedusa, Italy - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Akrotiri, Cyprus - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Paphos, Cyprus - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Rhodes, Greece - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Ginosa, Italy - WeatherSpark

And now let's compare Washington DC
Average Weather For Arlington County, District of Columbia, USA - WeatherSpark

All of these Mediterranean climates do have higher dewpoints than Washington DC, and there are more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
The link you provided does NOT say Nicosia AVERAGES a 73 F dewpoint....it says dewpoints range from 36 F (very dry) to 73 F (humid). It also says that Cape Hatteras, NC at 35 N latitude has dew points that range from 29 F to 76 F. It tells nothing about averages.

I doubt (truly doubt) that Palermo or Milan has average dewpoint temps anywhere near the figures you posted, this is especially true of Palermo as it is a DRY SUMMER subtropical climate. In fact, in terms of averages - I would doubt that anywhere in the Med has AVERAGE dew points even above 65 F....which is nothing compared to the 75 - 77 F dewpoint averages across the USA Deep south.

Your attempting to compare dry subtropical climates (the Mediterranean)....with wet subtropical climates that have a near constant flow out of the DEEP tropics all summer (the USA deep south). You just can't compare the two - trust me.

The current dewpoint in Nicosia is 17 C/64 F
Strovolos Current Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Nicosia Cyprus

The current dewpoint across parts of INTERIOR south Georgia is 73 to 79 F...and that's noting special or extreme for early summer. I've seen 80 F dewpoints + in New Orleans, Savannah, and parts of Florida.

Charleston, SC
The Dewpoints Messina Italy will have the next few days
Messina Weather Conditions & Forecast - Weather Temperature

Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 AM

115 posts, read 145,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
The Dewpoints Messina Italy will have the next few days
Messina Weather Conditions & Forecast - Weather Temperature

Read your own link.

The dew points in Messina in the next 8 days will range from 63 F to 68 F....and there are only 3 DAYS that are forecast to have dew points above 65 F!!!!!!!

That's a joke compared to the 75 - 79 F dew points in south Gerogia (USA) yesterday or places like Brisbane, Southeast Asia...etc that occur weekly in summer! Places like Hong Kong and Florida can have dewpoints of 82 F. Let me know when you see dew points like that in the DRY summer Italy - lol.

Your reaching big time

Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Read your own link.

The dew points in Messina in the next 8 days will range from 63 F to 68 F....and there are only 3 DAYS that are forecast to have dew points above 65 F!!!!!!!

That's a joke compared to the 75 - 79 F dew points in south Gerogia (USA) yesterday or places like Brisbane, Southeast Asia...etc that occur weekly in summer! Places like Hong Kong and Florida can have dewpoints of 82 F. Let me know when you see dew points like that in the DRY summer Italy - lol.

Your reaching big time
Max dewpoint
30 June:22 °C, 71 °F
1 July :22 °C, 71 °F
2 July:24 °C, 76 °F
3 July:21 °C, 71 °F
4 JUly:24 °C, 75 °F
5 July:27 °C, 80 °F (!!!!!!!!!!)
6 July: 26 °C, 79 °F
7 July:24 °C, 76 °F
I don't know what you're seeing, but obviously you didn't reply to my other post.
This one

Quote:
Bull****
Actually there are many Mediterranean climates which do have dewpoints comparable to this. I gave you the link already, but you choose to ignore it. You have to scroll down to the dewpoints.
Average Weather For Messina, Italy - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Reggio Calabria, Italy - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Palermo/Punta Raisi, Italy - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Lampedusa, Italy - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Akrotiri, Cyprus - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Paphos, Cyprus - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Rhodes, Greece - WeatherSpark
Average Weather For Ginosa, Italy - WeatherSpark

And now let's compare Washington DC
Average Weather For Arlington County, District of Columbia, USA - WeatherSpark

All of these Mediterranean climates do have higher dewpoints than Washington DC, and there are more.
Messina reaches average high Dew points of 26C (78 F) in August, while
Washington DC only reaches average high Dew points of 22C (72 F).
Washington DC:Average Weather For Arlington County, District of Columbia, USA - WeatherSpark
Messina: Average Weather For Messina, Italy - WeatherSpark
These are the facts. Messina gets FAR higher dewpoints than Washington DC.
This is not a opinion, but a fact, i don't know what you want

Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 AM

29,506 posts, read 19,608,209 times
I've been all over Greece and Cyprus as well as Catania in Sicily. There is no comparison to the US Deep South (I'm here right now). High dew points are literally right on the shoreline which would be true anywhere that has warm summers as heat interacts with the water. Go literally a few dozen meters inland and the dew points fall dramatically.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I've been all over Greece and Cyprus as well as Catania in Sicily. There is no comparison to the US Deep South (I'm here right now). High dew points are literally right on the shoreline which would be true anywhere that has warm summers as heat interacts with the water. Go literally a few dozen meters inland and the dew points fall dramatically.
I never said that Mediterranean Climates do have higher dewpoints overall.
I answered to this
Quote:
....yea and average dew points during the day across inland south Georgia are 72 F/21 C in July. The current dew point in Savannah, Georgia right now is 74 F/23 C (75 F dewpoint in New Orleans right now), and often places in south Georgia see 77 F/25 C dewpoints!

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Current Dew Points

Athens, Greece...nor anywhere in the Mediterranean can't touch that.

Trust me, you have no idea what your talking about.
I'm saying there are indeed some few Mediterranean climates which have comparable high dew points.
Which I've profen countless times with weatherspark.
Athens GA dewpoints aren't that high though, they top out at 22c (72 F) and there are many Mediterranean climates which have higher dewpoints.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM

29,506 posts, read 19,608,209 times
^^

I use weathersparks as well but you have to look at their period of record. Messina for example only has 7 years. But even those "comparable" spots on the Mediterranean like I said their temperature stations are on or very near the shore and those high dew points hug the coast for a few meters. The South has high dew points for tens of thousands of square miles continuously hundreds of miles inland. As for Atlanta it's dew points peak at 22C but their altitude is 300 meters. Lower lying areas around Atlanta would see higher dew points. Savannah which is more coastal and low altitude has an average high in July of 33C with peak dew points of 24C

(over 30 years of record)

Average Weather For Savannah, Georgia, USA - WeatherSpark

Old 06-30-2014, 01:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
That's not true.. there are places in the Med with average dew points above 70F at a higher latitude than Athens in Georgia..

Nicosia at 35N averages 73F/23C dewpoints along with 38C average highs
Average Weather For Lefkosa, Cyprus - WeatherSpark

Palermo at 38N averages 75F/24C dewpoints

Milan at 45N averages 68F/20C dewpoints

The US south is a very humid place, but the Mediterranean is also humid by coastal locations and can be more humid than the US latitude for latitude in some places

The climate here is what it is, I'm not sure why you think constantly bringing up latitude changes anything. So what that places in the US or South are at lower latitudes. We are discussing the conditions present there, not modifying the numbers due to latitude differences. There are many locales in the US South that have higher dewpoints than any place in the Med with the highest dewpoint like Messina.

So where in Europe has a dewpoint average of 79/70F?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I never said that Mediterranean Climates do have higher dewpoints overall.
I answered to this

I'm saying there are indeed some few Mediterranean climates which have comparable high dew points.
Which I've profen countless times with weatherspark.
Athens GA dewpoints aren't that high though, they top out at 22c (72 F) and there are many Mediterranean climates which have higher dewpoints.

What locales in Europe that are 200 miles from the Med have dewpoints of 72F? Go to the coast from Athens and places like Hilton Head Island average 79/70F.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

I use weathersparks as well but you have to look at their period of record. Messina for example only has 7 years. But even those "comparable" spots on the Mediterranean like I said their temperature stations are on or very near the shore and those high dew points hug the coast for a few meters. The South has high dew points for tens of thousands of square miles continuously hundreds of miles inland. As for Atlanta it's dew points peak at 22C but their altitude is 300 meters. Lower lying areas around Atlanta would see higher dew points. Savannah which is more coastal and low altitude has an average high in July of 33C with peak dew points of 24C

(over 30 years of record)

Average Weather For Savannah, Georgia, USA - WeatherSpark

Exactly. There is no where in Europe that can match a place like St. Louis being so far from any large body of water and yet averages 72/64 dewpoints. Those dewpoints are almost the same as Ibiza (73/65) and Malta, yet higher than Palma (72/61F).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather