Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 04:57 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,748,239 times

Advertisements

9/3°C and drizzly today at 53°N. Felt like the North Pole coming from Nice. Loads of greenish trees still, like in slightly more southerly Norwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Anyone wanna take a wild guess what I will use these pavers for stacked up like that? Each year in Spring I lay them out as a walking path in the garden then every fall I stack them back up.
Why don't you let them out in winter?

Quote:
RAlex knows whats lying on the ground. lol I had enough looking at them. Sweet Bell peppers still that green? WTF die already! LOL
I know the feeling. Sometimes I feel like going on a punitive expedition against plants that have the nerve to stay green into November. I think Ariete was tempted to do the same on public property earlier this autumn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 05:22 PM

5,041 posts, read 4,364,398 times
Quote:
Anyone wanna take a wild guess what I will use these pavers for stacked up like that? Each year in Spring I lay them out as a walking path in the garden then every fall I stack them back up.

RAlex knows whats lying on the ground. lol I had enough looking at them. Sweet Bell peppers still that green? WTF die already! LOL
Yup, you pulled up your okra! Was it still producing?

Mine is still producing okra, but I'm getting tired of picking it. I got all that I'm going to use and I'm just giving it away now. It may not last much longer, as the first frost will kill it. It could get close to freezing this weekend, with mid 30's in the forecast, so there may be some frost.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,600,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I know the feeling. Sometimes I feel like going on a punitive expedition against plants that have the nerve to stay green into November. I think Ariete was tempted to do the same on public property earlier this autumn.
how are you going to survive a November in Nice? I'm told from a Californian that winter is the time for greenery: "winter green". Some green left.

a few garden plants left

overlook. Turner Falls.

Greenfield. Doesn't look like a Spainish town What's with all the space between the buildings?

Didn't see much red brick in Spain. Helpfully, there's a flag to let you know what country you're in.

they used to make things here:

another viewpoint:

looking at overlook

church, just before sunrise. 47°F. Rather different style than Spanish ones.

morning

corn is dead

river valley appears (and feels like it) a local frost hollow. All leaves gone:

gross road surface that a road work vehicle was adding to the road. It was nice and hard until. Turned a perfectly good biking road to garbage. Good for covering holes or something for cars.

clear blue sky

flower farm

lavender

green holding on

Old 10-29-2014, 05:37 PM

5,041 posts, read 4,364,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Wow. Is that clean water or is that clean water?
It's much cleaner than the bayous around here lol! Some nice fall colors are starting to appear in places.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,858,191 times
Quote:
I was, but that was only because those plants do not belong here. But I would like our trees to retain their leaves a bit longer, and also burst earlier in the spring. Today only a few strong maples, birches, rowans and oaks have any leaves left, usually in wind-protected locations. All other are bare. Smaller vegetation like bushes still retain some of their leaves.

In this screenshot from Tampere you clearly see which trees are deciduous and which are conifers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
It's much cleaner than the bayous around here lol! Some nice fall colors are starting to appear in places.
Yup. That is what our river looks like.

Wanna go for a swim?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:16 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,748,239 times
^^ I most likely would want the growing season to be longer too if I was living in Finland. After all, my dream climate is 6-7°C warmer than Turku in April and October. I would like bare landscapes to last longer than in Paris though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
how are you going to survive a November in Nice? I'm told from a Californian that winter is the time for greenery: "winter green". Some green left.
Nice isn't the same. It would be completely different without evergreens, from native vegetation (stone pine, holm oak...) to imported (palms, magnolia...). Above 45°N, broadleaf evergreens are a mere nuisance imo and should therefore be checked off and destroyed with the utmost zeal.

Quote:
I find abandoned factories, that once used to sustain entire communities and are now left to rot or dismantled, to be a sad sight. Doesn't look abandoned though, they must still be producing something there?

Neat pics and ligth btw! I'm surprised to see lavender there.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:39 PM

185 posts, read 246,233 times
Same here. Now were mulching leaves from the white paper birches,oaks are still hangin in there.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 PM

83,590 posts, read 75,571,450 times
Quote:
Anyone wanna take a wild guess what I will use these pavers for stacked up like that?
Quote:
Why don't you let them out in winter?
I use the stacks of pavers as an area to measure snow. Flat and in open area in the yard. Easy height to measure too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
Yup, you pulled up your okra! Was it still producing?.
Nope, Not producing. Just like the Peppers rotting before ripening now. End of September veggie growing season is pretty much done. We're lucky if we get things in October.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:13 PM

185 posts, read 246,233 times
Ok then good idea, that never occurred to me. I just use the fence posts.I use our pavers to give the dogs a way to come in and out...,they hate to get their feet wet and the snow just balls up in their feet. So we shovel a short area on the pavers too!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:18 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,211,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

a few garden plants left

overlook. Turner Falls.

Greenfield. Doesn't look like a Spainish town What's with all the space between the buildings?

Didn't see much red brick in Spain. Helpfully, there's a flag to let you know what country you're in.

another viewpoint:

looking at overlook

church, just before sunrise. 47°F. Rather different style than Spanish ones.

morning

corn is dead

river valley appears (and feels like it) a local frost hollow. All leaves gone:

gross road surface that a road work vehicle was adding to the road. It was nice and hard until. Turned a perfectly good biking road to garbage. Good for covering holes or something for cars.

clear blue sky

flower farm

lavender

green holding on
Nei the bottom pictures look like here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather