Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 03:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,993,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice scenery. Don't you wish the grid was underground just to make the scenery even better than it is?
Yes it would be nice but the grids here unfortunately aren 't underground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 03:15 PM

83,559 posts, read 75,454,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It was bare here the first week of May, even second week of May in some spots. So a little more than four months.
Ahh, you reminded me of the comparison photo of mine. I'll have to start doing the same spot for Fall. I was bare end of April. Blooming beginning of May. Leafed out by end of May.

So 4 months of just green after/before bloom/color change

Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Hmmm.

Anyone else seeing squirrels running around burying nuts & acorns? They're moving around a lot and not at a slow pace either.

I read a study that Squirrels are key to Oak species because they only recover 75% of the acorns. So the other 25% would germinate into an Oak tree (if not cut or mowed over)

Just realized why I asked myself why I been seeing small oak trees popping up everywhere. I been putting them in pots and it just dawned on me why. More-so this year than any other previous years. I guess they did a lot of burying last year. lol

I just took these pics today. Saw same squirrels bury 3 different nuts in 3 different spots. Been seeing them do this for about a week or so now.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:11 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,651,965 times
It's amazing that so many of your leaves are turning color already when you're so much further south than me. Ours are almost entirely green still, but I do see a maple tree out my window right now that has one branch turning color. Admittedly, I think this is a little later than normal for us.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:14 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,676,971 times
Posting CBC webcam photos to show the foliage is just starting now:

Some trees are yellow while others still green.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Worked in West Haven CT this morning near the coast. Getting to That time of year where you have the water on one side and color changes on the other.

This is I-95.

You can start to distinguish the darker greens with the lighter greens/colors

There's the water. Facing Long Island.

But don't mistake the percentage. There's still about 60% that hasn't even "started" to change.

Silver & Sugar Maples changing. Tulip Trees too.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:55 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,524,699 times
What's the deal with the sawtooth signs? Never seen those before. Kinda weird to see such a narrow road so close to the biggest city in the country. Our Interstates fatten up to 10 lanes a long ways out from the city, and even our old, beat-up Perimeter is 8-10 lanes all the way around.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:03 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,282,383 times
^Bridge over the Housatonic? Isn't the Sikorsky factory near there?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
What's the deal with the sawtooth signs? Never seen those before. Kinda weird to see such a narrow road so close to the biggest city in the country. Our Interstates fatten up to 10 lanes a long ways out from the city, and even our old, beat-up Perimeter is 8-10 lanes all the way around.
The sawtooth signs are a Merritt Pkwy thing. Only in Conneticut. The parkways in and around NYC are old — some date to the 30s, were designed a bit for style than high speed back then. All three lanes, sometimes two. But most interstates are three lanes as well in NYC. Only the NJ Turnpike is much wider. Long Island Expressway is four lanes in Queens:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Long+...82.53,,0,-4.51

BQE is usually three:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Long+...270.13,,0,4.89

Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,524,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The sawtooth signs are a Merritt Pkwy thing. Only in Conneticut. The parkways in and around NYC are old — some date to the 30s, were designed a bit for style than high speed back then. All three lanes, sometimes two. But most interstates are three lanes as well in NYC. Only the NJ Turnpike is much wider. Long Island Expressway is four lanes in Queens:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Long+...82.53,,0,-4.51

BQE is usually three:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Long+...270.13,,0,4.89
Gosh, those roads must be terrifying to drive on - absolutely no room for error on either side...lol.

I'll have to admit that living in the South has spoiled me for big roads - I love having all those lanes, plus fat shoulders on either side. But good gosh, do they really have to build so close to the danged road? The only way they'd ever be able to add lanes is to double-deck them, and I don't see that happening anytime soon...lol.

One good thing about living in the NYC metro though, it's very train-centric, with the Long Island Railroad and so forth. I remember visiting my great-aunt in Port Washington as a kid and riding the LIRR into the city on the express - 25 minutes of easy cruising from like 24 miles out - talk about a sweet ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather